Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,396 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm an African-American female and I'm considering moving to Dickinson, North Dakota. Can anyone tell me if the people there are welcoming in that particular area or can anyone offer any insight on the area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:06 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opals79 View Post
Hello, I'm an African-American female and I'm considering moving to Dickinson, North Dakota. Can anyone tell me if the people there are welcoming in that particular area or can anyone offer any insight on the area? Thanks
I'm not in Dickinson and I've heard Dickinson has more women, but in Williston the fact that you're a woman would stand out more than your skin color.

Either way, coming from Utah I have found more ethnic diversity here even though it's a smaller area. The oil boom has attracted people from a lot of different places. I've experienced a lot of welcoming people but I think a large portion of this depends on your personal outlook. If you smile and are a happy person then I think people will naturally react positively to that.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,635 times
I'm an African American female living in ND for 10 years now. My husband was here for 28 years prior to our meeting. I hated it when I first got here because of the subzero temperatures and lack of socializing (I lived in a small town). Don't get me wrong the socializing, or lack thereof, was more so due to the fact that I didn't frequent the bar. I got to know folks little by little on a daily basis, and they got to know me. It took a while. But, once I started working, (I came across some bigots, but then that's anywhere), I met many folks!! For the most part, I like living here and have no immediate plans of leaving. Since I get along with just about everyone I meet, I can make it anywhere I go. :-) I think you'll like it here, if you're looking for a nice place to live.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:27 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Bhutan to ND? wow. Talk about tunnelling to the other side of the world!

I came across a... Nepalese? grocery in SoCal... proved a good place to get high quality spices, and all sorts of vegetables I couldn't identify.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Here in Grand Forks we have several ethnic and cultural options. A couple of African coffee shops, lots of ethnic restaurants, and a wide variety of churches along with an ever growing and varying population of immigrants.

I believe it has always been the case in the University towns, but the last few years has seen a very broad diversity.
It's nothing to see African or East Indian ladies in their native clothing, shopping, or waiting on you at many of our shops and restaurants.
I enjoy seeing the folks from different areas of our world of all ages enjoying walks along our many lovely paths and walkways, wearing their native clothing....

Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM

I enjoy seeing the native clothing too. It's so bright and pretty, makes you wonder why we don't all dress like that!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 AM

I just love meeting and getting to know people! I think many people are learning to treat others as individuals and not an 'ethnicity.' I like getting to know folks for who they are and not what they've been classified by stereotypes. I have so many wonderful ethnic friends with diverse backgrounds! I've experienced some racist comments and actions, but the wonderful experiences have overshadowed the negative ones. I am in the Minot area and as stated above, no plans of moving in our immediate future! :-)

Old 06-26-2013, 10:00 AM

In my observation, most "racism" isn't any such thing. It's more confusion or lack of experience, thus no idea how to interact with such obviously-different people. Should we be afraid of them, or handle them with kid gloves, or ignore them altogether? Should we pretend we're not fascinated by their exotic beauty, lest we be caught so rudely staring?? Should we say hello? Dare we ask where they're from, or would that be interpreted as unwelcoming?? Might our ordinary meaningless chatter be taken the wrong way? What if we say the wrong thing and offend them??

And I'm sure this goes both ways -- the newbie in town, of any race, doubtless has the same fears and reservations about interacting with these ... strangers. Will I be accepted, or will they look at me funny forever? and so on.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
In my observation, most "racism" isn't any such thing. It's more confusion or lack of experience, thus no idea how to interact with such obviously-different people. Should we be afraid of them, or handle them with kid gloves, or ignore them altogether? Should we pretend we're not fascinated by their exotic beauty, lest we be caught so rudely staring?? Should we say hello? Dare we ask where they're from, or would that be interpreted as unwelcoming?? Might our ordinary meaningless chatter be taken the wrong way? What if we say the wrong thing and offend them??

And I'm sure this goes both ways -- the newbie in town, of any race, doubtless has the same fears and reservations about interacting with these ... strangers. Will I be accepted, or will they look at me funny forever? and so on.

I have met several people like that! Those folks are what I consider blissfully ignorant. Oh, they mean well, they just don't know. I don't discount them or make them feel uncomfortable. If I'm asked questions, I answer and ask them as well. So, it becomes a discussion instead of an interview. I've had to clarify plenty of things, (i.e.. What you see on television is fiction.) Otherwise, like I stated before, I am enjoying living in Minot. The face of Minot has changed a lot over the years, and that's a good thing. More diversity is always good. We're forced into learning about and getting to know people that seem different than we are. Then, we find out we have a lot more in common than we realize.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 PM

Well, see? We already have something in common!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota