Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 01:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times

Advertisements

I am white, so I cannot speak from personal experience about racial prejudice ..more from observing. I moved as a 30 year old to N.D. from So. Cali. early 80's. Ask me about being discriminated against for being a oil field wife...but that's a different thread
I grew up in a diverse area, and when I moved to Western, N.,D. I was surprised by the blatant prejudice...White/Native Americans. But, it was from both sides.

In the 90's I moved to Eastern N.D. and there is still prejudice I'm sure, just less. I believe there is more acceptance of multiple cultures because of the air base and the college.

I wouldn't hesitate to suggest Grand Forks or Fargo as a destination for any race....Lots of different cultures in Eastern N.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:02 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times
There's a real difference between asking "what's the racial climate like?" and asking is "Is the place diverse?". Nmusaddiq asked about the racial climate, which I think means that he/she is interested in finding out if he/she would likely be hassled by the police, find it hard to rent, have his/her child struggle to make friends, etc because of prejudice or racism. My guess is that Nmusaddiq already knows that ND doesn't have a high percentage of African-American residents, but he/she would like to know how the ones who do live there are treated.

It's a reasonable question for anybody who is thinking about moving to a new area. People who have strong religious or cultural affiliations ask these same kind of questions all the time on forums.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:08 AM

72,960 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
There's a real difference between asking "what's the racial climate like?" and asking is "Is the place diverse?". Nmusaddiq asked about the racial climate, which I think means that he/she is interested in finding out if he/she would likely be hassled by the police, find it hard to rent, have his/her child struggle to make friends, etc because of prejudice or racism. My guess is that Nmusaddiq already knows that ND doesn't have a high percentage of African-American residents, but he/she would like to know how the ones who do live there are treated.

It's a reasonable question for anybody who is thinking about moving to a new area. People who have strong religious or cultural affiliations ask these same kind of questions all the time on forums.
I looked at the OP's post. It was about wanting to be accepted. Said person obviously planned to be in North Dakota. Acceptance is one thing many people want.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Exactly. But the SJW meme is that if somewhere isn't "diverse" it must be because others are not and cannot be accepted there. The SJW doesn't get that it's just the chance of who settled where that makes demographics, it's not some magic-dirt hatred of "diverse" people. So we get these questions phrased wrong way around, like from the OP and others.

Everywhere is as "diverse" as the happenstance of who lives there. Here in flyover country, whether you'll be accepted doesn't depend on that. Mostly, it depends on YOU.
One thing, the OP mentioned looking for acceptance. If one reads the first message, one would understand that this isn't about diversity per se. The question just got people to the post. The post itself wasn't about diversity. Bringing up something that has little to do with thread is not a good thing.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Just move to Jackson, Mississippi, you will fit in better, also warmer weather.
I think said person wants to be in North Dakota. Otherwise said person wouldn't have asked. There are questions that I used to ask, but I don't anymore. One reason is the reaction of other people.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:32 PM

97 posts, read 312,180 times
Fascinating thread. Let me ask a pointed question - my wife and I are interracial couple (black and white). I'd love to visit the state just to see the countryside. Would we be harassed or mistreated because of this ? We are coming from NYC where this is not a big deal.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:20 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,997,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
Fascinating thread. Let me ask a pointed question - my wife and I are interracial couple (black and white). I'd love to visit the state just to see the countryside. Would we be harassed or mistreated because of this ? We are coming from NYC where this is not a big deal.
Not at all. My wife's family is from rural North Dakota... you find rural folks to look at the person not what color or religion he/she is. Back in the days rural folks relied on each other whether to make it through a snow storm, or to help with harvest. It is the character of a person that matters....

Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 AM

576 posts, read 830,093 times
Totally agree with Kamsack... you will only have an issue if you create one. But that is true regardless of race. There may be a few narrow minded bigots who think one thing or another about you, but no one will say anything or act out in any way. Enjoy your trip!

Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 AM

240 posts, read 344,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I am white, so I cannot speak from personal experience about racial prejudice ..more from observing. I moved as a 30 year old to N.D. from So. Cali. early 80's. Ask me about being discriminated against for being a oil field wife...but that's a different thread
I grew up in a diverse area, and when I moved to Western, N.,D. I was surprised by the blatant prejudice...White/Native Americans. But, it was from both sides.

In the 90's I moved to Eastern N.D. and there is still prejudice I'm sure, just less. I believe there is more acceptance of multiple cultures because of the air base and the college.

I wouldn't hesitate to suggest Grand Forks or Fargo as a destination for any race....Lots of different cultures in Eastern N.D.

I do not recommend ND to minorities especially to Asian as well.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:34 PM

231 posts, read 872,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
I do not recommend ND to minorities especially to Asian as well.

How long did you live in North Dakota? Your prior postings indicates you live in a Southern state.

My wife is asian and has lived here for 8 years in Fargo. Never any problems. She has lots of asian friends who love living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota