Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 02:03 PM

35 posts, read 246,598 times

Advertisements

Can I have some pros and cons of each city please We might not have a choice to which one we come to but I'm curious what are the advantages and disadvantages to both. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadmomma View Post
Can I have some pros and cons of each city please We might not have a choice to which one we come to but I'm curious what are the advantages and disadvantages to both. Thank you
This may not be the time to ask, as the cities of Fargo-Moorhead are in a crisis mode with the flooding. Hope and pray that their dikes will hold!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 PM

97 posts, read 353,065 times
They are about the same, to be honest. Fargo is a little larger (and feels a little larger) than Grand Forks. Weather is the same, people are the same. What exactly are you looking for that Maryland doesn't have, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 PM

I am well aware of the flooding and it's awful and I do hope the best for the people living through this. I've been reading the news stories all day. My family keeps bringing up the flooding cause none of them want us to move away so they think by mentioning it that it will keep us from going. The fact is that a job will be bringing us here but we are very open to the change. We hate it here in MD. The part where we live has changed so much in the last 15 years. Everyone from the wrong parts of D.C. have spilled over into our neighborhoods and it's not fit for us to live here and raise a family anymore. Our shopping centers are not safe to go to at night time. The schools are ridiculous. There's too much traffic. There is also some racial tension. We want a place that is more about family and has low crime even if we have to live with some downsides like the weather and instead of having the choice of 10 Walmarts there will be considerably less. I always like to be prepared so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the area, that's why I'm asking so many questions. We are very excited to be getting away and coming to ND, just crossing our fingers it happens for us cause it isn't set in stone yet.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:29 PM

I also forgot to say that looking at the difference in cost of housing is enough to make me cry. We've been looking at the housing and basically a $700,000 out here in my area of MD is $450,000 or so out there in Grand Forks area(give or take a little, but you get the gist). It just makes me sick.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:43 PM

97 posts, read 353,065 times
Well, if you are looking for safety, I can't think of anywhere safer. If you can handle the cold weather, welcome to North Dakota!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadmomma View Post
I am well aware of the flooding and it's awful and I do hope the best for the people living through this. I've been reading the news stories all day. My family keeps bringing up the flooding cause none of them want us to move away so they think by mentioning it that it will keep us from going. The fact is that a job will be bringing us here but we are very open to the change. We hate it here in MD. The part where we live has changed so much in the last 15 years. Everyone from the wrong parts of D.C. have spilled over into our neighborhoods and it's not fit for us to live here and raise a family anymore. Our shopping centers are not safe to go to at night time. The schools are ridiculous. There's too much traffic. There is also some racial tension. We want a place that is more about family and has low crime even if we have to live with some downsides like the weather and instead of having the choice of 10 Walmarts there will be considerably less. I always like to be prepared so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the area, that's why I'm asking so many questions. We are very excited to be getting away and coming to ND, just crossing our fingers it happens for us cause it isn't set in stone yet.
Hi

I live and work in the Grand Forks area and visit Fargo often. There is always a rivalry between the two cities. The biggest difference is that Fargo has the shopping and restaurants, and other activities such as a zoo and minature golf course, etc that Grand Forks does not. So to me the main issue for you to examine is how important is convenient shopping is to you in regards to a wide variety of shops and restaurants. If you like variety and less of a small town feel then Grand Forks fits that better. GF is also a bit more industrial and blue collar than Fargo. Fargo home prices are usually about 10,000 below GF ones with gas prices usually lower too.

Now I love Grand Forks....but there is usually some envy toward Fargo and its variety of options of things to do. As for public schools and crime they are very similar....Fargo would be more convenient for travel to the Minneapolis which again if one likes shopping and bigger city life is another advantage.

Dan

Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 PM

9 posts, read 30,650 times
I lived in Forks and then moved to Fargo, and have been here for almost 2 years. Obviously, the culture and weather are about the same, the alcoholism is about the same... the only differences I noticed (and why I moved to Fargo) is that Grand Forks was smaller, and a little dirty for some reason. I think it's a run down city or something, which doesn't make sense because they had to rebuild after 97, but it looks like it could use a bath lol Fargo has much nicer areas and is absolutely gorgeous in the summer. The other difference was that the people in Grand Forks are a little standoffish, and unfriendly. Even people in Detroit Lakes, MN have told me that too. People in Fargo are a little bit more down to earth, but I say a *little bit* and I mean it. I would choose Fargo over Forks if I had the choice. There are a lot of new things going up here, and don't judge by the flooding, it's not something that has to happen every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota