Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 AM

35 posts, read 245,672 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of posts on this forum lately because we may be moving to the Grand Forks or Fargo area in the next year or so and am really trying to be prepared. I've read several posts where people talk about how high alcoholism is in these areas. Is it because your basically cooped up in your house all winter and it's very dark and dreary outside. It sounds like a great place to live otherwise but it's scaring me thinking that I and many others will get very depressed in the winter.

What do you do in the winter time to keep from going stir crazy? We are a family with very young children who are used to being outside in the yard a lot so I'm imagining when we move here, we have to find a very large house in which we can make a playground in the basement LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 08:16 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,962,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadmomma View Post
I've read a lot of posts on this forum lately because we may be moving to the Grand Forks or Fargo area in the next year or so and am really trying to be prepared. I've read several posts where people talk about how high alcoholism is in these areas. Is it because your basically cooped up in your house all winter and it's very dark and dreary outside. It sounds like a great place to live otherwise but it's scaring me thinking that I and many others will get very depressed in the winter.

What do you do in the winter time to keep from going stir crazy? We are a family with very young children who are used to being outside in the yard a lot so I'm imagining when we move here, we have to find a very large house in which we can make a playground in the basement LOL!
I live in the GF area....I dont think actual alcoholism is any worse here than anywhere but I have read about studies showing binge drinking is higher. Our family doesnt drink so I am a bit unfamiliar with that aspect of life.

But in regards to young kids....we have a 4 yr old and twins under 1 yr old and yes during the winter months they can get stir crazy. They go to daycare and they do let the young kids out if it is above 10 degrees for 15-20 minutes to play....but often you can go weeks before it reaches 10 degrees here in the northern valley. Otherwise they play in the gym at daycare where they are at.

At home....best bet is to have a play room in the house and we got a wall mounted heater specific for the garage to keep it warm enough so they can go out in the garage and play with their bikes, sand/water table, etc. That is what a lot of people do....back their cars out and let their kids play in the garage. A lot of kids once you reach age 4 or 5 are enrolled in ice skating or in a few more years in youth hockey which helps keep them busy. Youth hockey is huge here. But I wont lie the first warm day it is nice to let them outside and run around.

Dan

Old 05-23-2009, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,895 times
Default It's Not Dark and Dreary

One thing it's not in the ND winter is dark and dreary. It's sunshiny and bright. When the air bases first came into the state mothers from out of state would look outside and send their kids out with an itty bitty jacket, no mittens, no hat. It would be 20 below zero.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:31 PM

405 posts, read 1,331,687 times
Alot of what you hear about high rates of depression have to do with seasonal depression in the winters. Although there are many bright and sunny days, because of the geographical location there is less UV rays. Apparently this is a source of seasonal depression for some people..and the fix is to be perscribed one of those lights to sit infront of that give you a little sunshine.
There is tons to do in ND in the winter! Ski, sled, snowboard, iceskate, and snowmobile. Ice fishing that building snowmen are fun as well. Because ND does have such long and intensive winters...they have formulated many ways to pass the time during the winter months!

Old 05-24-2009, 07:04 AM

139 posts, read 468,710 times
6+ months of winter can bum anyone out, the key is to get inventive. Let the kids romp in the snow for a little bit each day, come up with new basement/garage games etc...

It's not a dark and dreary all winter long, when it's not snowing it usually tends to be nice and sunny outside.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:17 PM

35 posts, read 245,672 times
I guess that goes to show you always need lots of opinions, not just a few. I've seen several photos too and it seems like most were cloudy and dark during the day time in winter. I'm relieved to hear it's not as bad as I thought. I'm really crossing my fingers that we move here

Old 05-25-2009, 11:21 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,884,682 times
On Christmas day past here in Austin the high was 76 degrees, my brother and I played golf.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:26 AM

137 posts, read 423,477 times

Old 05-26-2009, 05:32 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,151,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
On Christmas day past here in Austin the high was 76 degrees, my brother and I played golf.
That's good for you. Maybe you can tell me how great your summers are.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:25 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,884,682 times
Brutally hot and humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota