Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 PM

35 posts, read 245,551 times

Advertisements

So we are realizing the housing is cheaper outside of these cities. We've been looking as far as a 45 min. commute around either one. Really how bad is that in the winter time when you have to drive slower with the snow? Just trying to figure out if the longer commute with a lower mortgage is something we can handle. Right now his commute is 25 min. so 45 is significant jump. Any insight is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 02:42 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,027,220 times
Hillsboro, North Dakota is about 40 miles from both Grand Forks and Fargo.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,954,834 times
We have a worker at NWS Grand Forks that lives outside of Mayville (2-3 miles east) and he has commuted to Grand Forks for work for over 10 years and his wife used to work in Fargo. He is a native of the area....but he most times doesnt have any problems. Now...there are times when the visiblity is too bad and they do shut down the interstate or if there is heavy snowfall then he can be stuck home as his rural road is not plowed out til later. I would say in most winters...he would miss 2-3 days because of the weather.

Now...there would be other times when he had to leave early because of icy roads...lower vsby....etc (not bad enough to shut down but bad enough to go slower) and that would be more significant....I would only guess that would be 30-45 days in an average winter season (Nov 15-Mar 30).

There are many many people who live outside of both cities who commute in. Most of the time it is just slower driving with actually missing work as I said above much more infrequent. So many others do this and suppose you could too. You would get used to the winter driving the first few months. I would recommend that you have at least one vehicle that handles the snow good...such as some 4x4 or AWD vehicle.

So in other words...if you find a good home you like...go for it. My co-workers commute to Mayville to west side of Grand Forks is 35 minutes....Hillsboro is roughly 50-50 between the two cities and would be about 40 minutes each way plus/minus.

Dan

Old 06-15-2009, 10:43 PM

Thank you very much for that information. It's just such a different way of life over there in ND and I'm trying to wrap my brain around as much info as I can. It doesn't snow here that often and when it snows 2" or more people freak out! So I guess commuting is pretty common cause where else do all these people in these tiny little towns work and make money if they don't work in Grand Forks or Fargo?

We drive Subaru's so we don't need to worry

Old 06-15-2009, 11:45 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,954,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadmomma View Post
Thank you very much for that information. It's just such a different way of life over there in ND and I'm trying to wrap my brain around as much info as I can. It doesn't snow here that often and when it snows 2" or more people freak out! So I guess commuting is pretty common cause where else do all these people in these tiny little towns work and make money if they don't work in Grand Forks or Fargo?

We drive Subaru's so we don't need to worry
Farms of course are big....that is where the money can be made (depending on how much land and weather/crop prices). In the valley sugar beets are grown along with wheat...soybeans....some corn and potatoes.

Dan

Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,567 times
We just moved here from Baltimore (Glad to be out of that cesspool!) and are living about 25 miles from my girlfriends work. The drive isnt bad at all. Speed limit on 2 is 70mph. We are out by Larimore. It is the perfect location in my opinion. Larimore has a grocery store, 2 gas stations a couple of bars and some really good places to eat.

What part of MD you from?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:29 AM

OMG Baltimore! Let me know after you've been there in ND for the winter, then tell me how you like it since you and I are used to the same weather! I'm in Bowie, MD south of Baltimore and east of D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota