Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,270 times

Advertisements

Hey i know i am just butting in here but i have a question for someone who resides in ND or knows a lot about it. I have a Positive attitude about anywhere i move, it is a new experience and very exciting. I was born and raised in Louisiana and have lived in Ohio for one year and now my Husband is strongly considering a job in Kenmare ND. We have 2 small children and i was wondering if anyone new about schools? Renting? This is happening fast and we have no place to live and i have no idea about ND as i have never been there. If there is anyone that can help with any information i appreciate it and i look forward to experiencing your home state and Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 AM

431 posts, read 1,605,418 times
There are jobs available as well as housing. Just don't expect high pay for a low cost area.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,826 times
As for housing, I haven't found ANYTHING. So good luck with that. Jobs are available and the schools from what I've heard are supposed to be pretty good.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 AM

12 posts, read 35,436 times
About living/working in Kenmare...
I live in Minot and also have 2 small children.
I can't tell you about schools or renting (other than I know it is VERY difficult to find a place to rent in this market). People are selling their homes in days on the market and the "word on the street" is renting a place here in Minot is a major challenge. The Air Force is increasing and I think that is part of the reason for the influx.
About living in ND (I grew up in Ohio and moved to Texas later, so I understand a little about your experiences thus far)...We wanted to live out somewhere rural, but I am SO glad we chose Minot proper, with 2 small kids. It is so cold and you are stuck inside for a lot of the winter (unless you bundle the kids up and rough it, which we did out of needing some sanity). So things like the zoo, library, mall, grocery, and other things we've found were so much appreciated.
Some women do like rural living in ND. But I just feel that being close to your community in this climate is a real thing to consider.
How far is Kenmare from Minot? I don't think it's too far a commute?
Gotta go. My little ones are calling.
Wish I had more time.
Don't think you'd regret the move at all. We haven't.
But I do think you should look at Minot.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,270 times
Well we moved to Kenmare my Husband Likes his job and my oldest likes his school, But still wants to go home and live by PaPa and cousins . Everyone seems happy witch is good. Me on the other hand i guess i don't adjust well. LoL its so different, No one talks to me, People stare at me, Small town everyone knows i am not from here. It is cold.
North Dakota is gorgeous even breathtaking but i miss my friends my family and everything.
I have only been here 3 weeks so maybe i just need to give it a chance. Minot is nice, we are only about 53 miles away. I am just at a loss cant tell my husband i want to go home that wouldn't be fair. So i am willing to try to stick it out. Any suggestions of some winter activities for me and the children?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:25 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,428 times
Jessie-Lynn...I feel bad for you. I know it must be very hard to move to a strange little town out of state, and leaving family and friends behind. With winter coming, it could become even more depressing...but stick it out. When SPRING comes, you might have a special appreciation for it (especially after one of our winters)...as far as being a stranger in a little town, and people staring at you. Have you considered volunteering around town? Your kids school, church, local nursing home or hospital? Maybe you are not into that, but in a small town, volunteering is really a good way for getting to know people...you meet a couple people, and they tell other people about you, and pretty soon, you will know everyone, and they will know you. Hang in there, and hope all works out for you and your family. Something else...being 53 miles from Minot, you could invite some other moms for a day trip to Minot and have some fun with or without the kids...could become a little something to look forward to, to break up the winter.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:09 AM

163 posts, read 584,097 times
As a newcomer to ND, SE of Minot, I have found that the people of ND are warm and very willing to help others. What I would suggest is get involved in the local church, Lions Club, Saddle Club, PTA etc. If people recognize you as someone who is willing to help others they will warm up very quickly. Say Hi and Good Morning to everyone you meet. Give it some time. You will really enjoy living in ND.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 PM

559 posts, read 1,465,826 times
Jessie-Lynn:

Def know what you mean about people just staring and not talking to you. All I read about and heard about was how nice everyone was up here...I have yet to meet a nice, native north dakotan. The people on the base are pretty nice but when I go into Minot...no one looks at me, says anything when they bump into you and when you do ask a question they just kinda huff like you're wasting their time. I don't know...but being from the south...this is totally different.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:34 PM

431 posts, read 1,605,418 times
Did you ever find your rental? I know you were concerned when you were arriving.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 7,313 times
I'm sure you are here at Minot by now. I'm a spouse and just got here myself. Let me know how it's going. I live on base so I shouldn't be that far out of reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota