Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,317 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Grand Forks from Michigan in a few weeks and was wondering if any one could give me info on the area. Such as things to do on weekends, restaurants etc.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on places to live. I'm looking for preferably a 2 bedroom apartment or duplex. I've tried looking online but haven't found much. Any information is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUSpartan1 View Post
I will be relocating to Grand Forks from Michigan in a few weeks and was wondering if any one could give me info on the area. Such as things to do on weekends, restaurants etc.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on places to live. I'm looking for preferably a 2 bedroom apartment or duplex. I've tried looking online but haven't found much. Any information is greatly appreciated!
Hi

Most apartment complexes and rental townhomes are managed by property management companies. Some of the national for rent web sites do a very poor job for our area. Here is a list of most of the big ones in town and a few of the complexes that are managed by themselves. There are many newer ones to choose from now as many apartments have been built in the last few years. Most newer ones are on the southwest side of town...generally along 42nd St S south of UND and in the area around 32nd Ave S a few blocks east of the Interstate near the shopping. I dont know your money range....but the spendier ones will have garages or underground parking which is very nice in the winter. If you must park outside most complexes have plug ins with cords to use for an engine block heater (if needed or have one).

The newer ones I would recommend just based on location and their "looks" (I havent lived in apartments in GF ...own a SFH)...would be West Ridge...Legacy (both have underground parking)....a place called Times Square Townhomes (rental) as I know someone who used to live there and across the street from them are Hampton Apts. Both of these are managed by Hampton Property Mangement so look under that look for info on Times Square or Hampton.

Closer to UND...there is a new complex called McEnroe Apts (managed by Dakota Commercial Properties) and Gallery Apts (link below too) are very close to campus with an indoor pool...though it is a bit older.

As for the others...most are OK....but obviously the lower the rent the older they will be.

West Ridge Apartments Grand Forks Area

Search : IMM Apartments: Over 5,000 apartments for rent

The Gallery Apartments Grand Forks Area

Goldmark Property Management

Dakota Commercial

Hampton management

Alerus Financial Property Management Web :: Alerus Financial Property Management (more homes and townhomes for rent)

There are a few other property management companies in town and of course you can check the local newspaper on-line.

The GF visitors bureau is the place to check for things to do... but in the summer the Park District has several things going on for kids throughout the summer and there is a Farmers Market. Small concerts, plays, and other acts come through town on occasion to play at Chester Fritz at UND...the Empire Theatre downtown GF....the Alerus Center....or Ralph Englestad Arena.

Visit Grand Forks, ND and East Grand Forks, MN -- Grand Fun, Shopping, and Dining. Simply Grand.

Otherwise in the winter UND football is in the fall and UND hockey (which is very very big here) is in the winter along with basketball.

Dan

Old 07-21-2009, 02:30 PM

As for the area...

Grand Forks is about 55,000 pop it has decent shopping...with Fargo about 1 hour south with a bigger mall and more chain restaurants that we dont have due to them being a bigger metro area. The area is flat but there is a very nice greenway along the Red River for biking and walking and several bike paths in town too. Winters here will be colder than lower Michigan...but sunnier on average. Snowfall averages about 45 inches per yr...but usually lasts on the ground from November to late March-early April. Summers are not quite as humid as lower Michigan. Some people find it boring but others see it for what it is. Grand Forks is a bit more a blue collar town than Fargo and Bismarck I think...maybe not quite as clean and new in parts of the city. But certainly no dumpy areas unless you include the railroad yard

anything specific you want to ask about if a certain restaurant is here, etc please go ahead.

Dan

Old 07-21-2009, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,317 times
Thank you for the quick response I really appreciate it! The information was very helpful!! Considering the heavy winters I was wondering if an SUV or 4 wheel drive is absolutely necessary or could I get by with a FWD car? My job will require me to travel throughout North Dakota frequently. I'm used to driving in snow in Michigan but we don't get anywhere near 47 inches a year! Also, because there's a potential I may be leasing a new car what would you say is the average mileage a person drives in a year? Thanks again for your help!

Jen

Old 07-21-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUSpartan1 View Post
Thank you for the quick response I really appreciate it! The information was very helpful!! Considering the heavy winters I was wondering if an SUV or 4 wheel drive is absolutely necessary or could I get by with a FWD car? My job will require me to travel throughout North Dakota frequently. I'm used to driving in snow in Michigan but we don't get anywhere near 47 inches a year! Also, because there's a potential I may be leasing a new car what would you say is the average mileage a person drives in a year? Thanks again for your help!

Jen
Hi

I see you live in Plymouth MI I lived in Northville MI for 3 years back in the 1990s. Loved the area. In regards to the car....FWD is fine....but certainly since you said you will travel frequently SUV 4x4 with a bit higher clearance may be a bit better suited. We leased our previous vehicle and most have a 3 yr/ 36,000 mile clause on it....we averaged 10,000 mi/yr.

Curious ...concerning your job...is the travel just in North Dakota and all over the state. Or is it mostly in eastern ND or into Minnesota.. Reason I ask is that if it is only ND then with GF on the east end certainly may be wise to move a bit more toward the city center. But I am sure you figured all that out by now....

good luck

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota