Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:17 PM

268 posts, read 1,613,860 times

Advertisements

I moved to Fargo from Soutwest Arizona, and I like it a lot. Fargo and Grand Forks are great towns. Don't know about the rest of the state, I have not been to many places, but I've heard mediocre reviews of Minot, Williston and Jamestown from former residents who moved to Fargo. To each their own, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 10,884 times
Default Outsiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post
Ok so heres the deal............we moved to Louisiana 26 years ago from NY and are still considered to be outsiders here. Our youngest child was 4 months old when we came here and even he is called "yankee" in a not nice way. The town has grown by leaps and bounds but now is building large expensive communities to keep the riff raff (as most outsiders are considered) out so we see the town going into a decline by them creating pockets that will get services and the rest that will not. My sister is trying to convince us to move to NC where she is relocating to from NJ but although its nice there I think they have been over run with too many relocaters as it is. I've been reading these boards about all the states for a few weeks and so far ND seems like somewhere we might like to be. Our problem is that we fear making a move and not being able to find work at our ages which is something we definitely would need to be able to do, hubby is 60 and does work for the city marshal here in town and I have been a restaurant GM and chef although I am not working right now. We definitely don't want to make a move like we did so long ago without knowing what we are in for. We, being outsiders here and not drinkers have just not really fit into the Louisiana mode so haven't made any friends in all this time so we would like a friendlier place that doesn't refute you if drinking and such are not your hobbies, we also don't hunt or fish although we don't object to them in any way.......we don't eat seafood so can't see just killing them if we aren't going to use them.
We are not religious so don't like to have pressure put on us to conform in that either. I do love to be involved in helping seniors and in cooking for people.........maybe hunters at lodges or something like that for employment for me. From what I have been reading here on this board we would probably be able to sel our home here and move there and have a nice home but the work really scares us, having a home and such isn't going to help if you can't afford to heat it or eat. We would like a small/medium town with nice people who care about each other, low taxes (doesn't everyone) and somewhere where we could get to major shopping in 30 or so minutes. Do you think we would fit in with the way of life there based on what I have said and if so what recomendations for area to look would you have. I would like to take a drive this summer and check it out but would like some input onto which areas to concentrate on. Thank you all so much.
Well folks, I'm sorry to say that here in North Dakota you will still be OUTSIDERS! I've lived here for 10 years and Our family is still boycotted as outsiders! Here is a post I recently made on the subject.

Hey, I was BORN an American and I have never been treated as abominably as I have since moving to North Dakota!!!!!! This horrible treatment has never been as profoundly BAD as it has been by the people of Park River and Grafton North Dakota! I’ve lived in both of these cities over the past 10 years and let me tell you folks, if you don’t have Norwegian blood in you and weren’t born and raised in their corrupt little cites then you will be trampled upon!!! What made it worse is they took it out on our kids! I’ve had enough! This area deserves nothing more than to be invaded by the Hells Angels or a multitude of other gangs to terminate their snobby attitudes! Hey maybe it would bring property value up too!

Yes I’m angry, who wouldn’t be? This is a horrible place to live unless you are blessed with the bloodlines of those born and raised here……..We can’t get outa here fast enough and I’m sure they will all cheer at our leaving. Lest you think we are cowards….let me tell you folks we have given them pure HELL the past few years for treating us so badly, but unless there would be 100 more like us to give credence to our AMERICANNESS then this battle is not worth fighting!!!

Good riddance to Park River North Dakota ….. A hellish place to live! I came from the WEST and looking to head back, thank you very much….at least that part of the country is AMERICAN through and through!!

So, while you may not be called YANKIE, you will more than likely suffer the same kind of hatred and torment as you have down south. Thanks for the tip on the South, cuz at one time we had considered relocating there...WHEW! Glad we didn't do that!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 AM

50 posts, read 171,089 times
Default A different view point...

Hi. I just read the last post and didn't want you to think that all cities are like that. While I have never been to those cities, I did move to Fargo and we think it is great! We have been accepted and have made some great friends and the kids love it here. I think people are very friendly in Fargo. I came from California and we like it much better here. (Oh, we've been here a year so far.)

Which city were you thinking of moving to?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:58 PM

180 posts, read 634,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American-Opinion View Post
Well folks, Park River and Grafton North Dakota!
Yeh, Park River & Grafton are not going to be nice places. Sorry about that.

To thread starter / to whom it may concern. ND has two habital places and one that's semi-habitable.

Honestly, if you're going to live in ND outside Bismarck, Fargo, or, possibly, Grand Forks, we really can't be held responsible for your well-being. We welcome you to try out the rest of the state but it comes sans warranty.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 AM

37 posts, read 110,086 times
i have only lived here for about a month, and the people in dickinson, southwest north dakota are very friendly. I really have not met any people here that are not friendly. I originally came from maine, and it is the same here as it was there. I actually moved out here because I am a pastor wanting to start good Bible churches. I know you are not religious and I am not trying in any way to pressure you. I was just explaining why we came here. My family and I love it here. And we look forward to the winters to prove to the north dakotans that we have seen quite a few bad winters in our time. Like 200 inches of snow last year. You will fit in very well here in north dakota. Come on out and experience it for yourself. The only way you can truly know what it's like here is to come out. If I can be of nay help to you and your family just send me a direct message.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:52 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryperry View Post
i have only lived here for about a month, and the people in dickinson, southwest north dakota are very friendly. I really have not met any people here that are not friendly. I originally came from maine, and it is the same here as it was there. I actually moved out here because I am a pastor wanting to start good Bible churches. I know you are not religious and I am not trying in any way to pressure you. I was just explaining why we came here. My family and I love it here. And we look forward to the winters to prove to the north dakotans that we have seen quite a few bad winters in our time. Like 200 inches of snow last year. You will fit in very well here in north dakota. Come on out and experience it for yourself. The only way you can truly know what it's like here is to come out. If I can be of nay help to you and your family just send me a direct message.
Its nice that you want to change the world ryperry. But, when you make comments like "I know you are not religious" I want to say, how do you know that? You have no idea whats in the hearts of men/women. We already have a million or so different flavors of CHRISTIAN churches. How is yours different? Somehow, I don't think more is better. Another interpitation of the written word? To me, it just makes it more confusing to the ones that are sitting on the fence, trying to understand the word. I thought Christ came into this world and established one church like 2000 years ago. It dosn't exist anymore? Besides, for 1500 years or so, there wasn't a bible. Only the word passed down and tradition. The early church used a lot of icons to tell stories of that time.
I'll give you credit for trying to convert the none believers, but please don't be so general and put everyone into a single catagory of none believers, because honestly, God only knows.
Maybe it might be best to try the religion forurm. According to what I've understood here, we are not allowed to promote on city-data any business.
Glad you like North Dakota. Moving back there myself in a few months (my home state)...
Have a nice day..

Old 06-03-2008, 10:34 AM

37 posts, read 110,086 times
when I said "I know you are not religious", I was only quoting what the person who originally started the thread said and I quote "we are not religious". I was in no way judging them about religion, and I wouldn't judge somebody's religion anyways. If attacks are going to be made then the attacker needs to consider the whole context first, and not just based on a little phrase in someone's comment.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 AM

268 posts, read 817,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American-Opinion View Post
Well folks, I'm sorry to say that here in North Dakota you will still be OUTSIDERS! I've lived here for 10 years and Our family is still boycotted as outsiders! Here is a post I recently made on the subject.

Hey, I was BORN an American and I have never been treated as abominably as I have since moving to North Dakota!!!!!! This horrible treatment has never been as profoundly BAD as it has been by the people of Park River and Grafton North Dakota! I’ve lived in both of these cities over the past 10 years and let me tell you folks, if you don’t have Norwegian blood in you and weren’t born and raised in their corrupt little cites then you will be trampled upon!!! What made it worse is they took it out on our kids! I’ve had enough! This area deserves nothing more than to be invaded by the Hells Angels or a multitude of other gangs to terminate their snobby attitudes! Hey maybe it would bring property value up too!

Yes I’m angry, who wouldn’t be? This is a horrible place to live unless you are blessed with the bloodlines of those born and raised here……..We can’t get outa here fast enough and I’m sure they will all cheer at our leaving. Lest you think we are cowards….let me tell you folks we have given them pure HELL the past few years for treating us so badly, but unless there would be 100 more like us to give credence to our AMERICANNESS then this battle is not worth fighting!!!

Good riddance to Park River North Dakota ….. A hellish place to live! I came from the WEST and looking to head back, thank you very much….at least that part of the country is AMERICAN through and through!!

So, while you may not be called YANKIE, you will more than likely suffer the same kind of hatred and torment as you have down south. Thanks for the tip on the South, cuz at one time we had considered relocating there...WHEW! Glad we didn't do that!
I've just been to Park River once and thought it looked nice but a little poor. And when we were in Grafton, met a nice Mennonite minister(?) and his wife. Both of them and us were the only people in the no smoking section of the diner. Everyone else there were smokers too. Talked to them quite a bit. But I did notice EVERYONE in the diner was listening to the conversation. I thought that was odd but overall the people of Grafton treated us nice. Of course we didn't live there. Please tell what happened to you. I have a place up in Cavalier and have had no trouble but was warned some people around there have really bad xenophobia.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:53 PM

14 posts, read 117,464 times
To Mr. American-Opinion:

I don't know anything at all about North Dakota, but I can tell you that our family went through the same thing in Iowa and were as miserable there as you are now.

It was a lot of trouble to get out of there. Sold the house at a loss, spent too much money to move. But, we got out of there!!

We returned to the West also. We are thrilled to be back!

We are thankful every day that we got out of a place we hated.
Every single day we talk about how thankful we are to be gone.

I hope you and your family are able to find happiness again. It does exist.

If a place isn't right for you, please don't waste time being miserable like we did. Go someplace better and spend the rest of your life much happier!

Good luck and hope your move back to the West comes soon!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:34 PM

268 posts, read 1,613,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
Yeh, Park River & Grafton are not going to be nice places. Sorry about that.

To thread starter / to whom it may concern. ND has two habital places and one that's semi-habitable.

Honestly, if you're going to live in ND outside Bismarck, Fargo, or, possibly, Grand Forks, we really can't be held responsible for your well-being. We welcome you to try out the rest of the state but it comes sans warranty.
That's funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota