Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:56 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times

Advertisements

Best of luck to you in North Dakota Fancy. Unfortunately, it's going to take me a year to 2 years before I make it up there - unless things somehow change in my life. Leave the light on for me so I can find my way there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 08:27 AM

122 posts, read 427,600 times
We had planned on 2 years - Bob lost his Job and that was pretty much that. Yeah!

We'll leave a light on.
Sharon

Old 09-27-2009, 03:51 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanciesmom View Post
We had planned on 2 years - Bob lost his Job and that was pretty much that. Yeah!

We'll leave a light on.
Sharon
Actually that's interesting about a job loss. My company is going through layoffs now through the end of the year. My plan is that if I'm hit, I will be on my way to ND asap.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:29 PM

Luckily DH was really close to retirement age - so it's not going to be too bad. Plus - bonus () his old company may need someone to do contract work in ND! We'll have to wait and see - but he's not terribly thrilled.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:21 PM

309 posts, read 991,211 times
Heard from Sharon & Bob last night. They made the trip without a hitch. The mobile wasn't connected to water so they were bucketing. The LP truck was on the way to restore service. Mind you they got in just before the storm.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Glad they made it ahead of the storm. Now if the rest comes together, they'll be set.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Well we are here! The computer died last week - Bob and I took the time yesterday to check it out; he does the hardware and I messed with the software. Not sure what I did but we're back up and running.
(
It was quite a trip. 191 was a bit hairy - but there's no amount of money in the world that could change my mind on the route or the destination. We spent one night in Idaho Falls (where my Mom was born), had a fantastic lunch at Clark's Crossing in Montana (the coleslaw was amazing!!!) and spent the last night on the road in Glendive - funny stories abound.

The farm is beautiful! Right now the snow on the lake is just starting to melt, the mobile home is a "fixer-upper", but it's great to be home. Our first night here we had dinner at the Decoy Bar in Medina. What a cool little neighborhood place. Killian's Irish Red on tap - wheeeeeee

It's a balmy 65F in here. The ductwork for furnace is all whackado, needs some 12" insulated flex hose to connect the ducts on the west side of the mobile. Bob and John did fix a couple leaks underneath, and put some OSB (chipboard) and tin up as temporary skirting on the west and north ends of the mobile.

It was too windy to get up on the roof with temps in the 20's so they did a lot of "hole plugging" inside with more insulation, paneling, and glorious[color:red]duct tape [/color] (also used to tape off the unused floor registers that are blowing cold air).Furnace is working much better with the leaks plugged and the "skirting" up.

The first night here it was 15, the second 18, and we've been running night temps in the 20's the last few days, and we're on a warming trend. It snowed last night, but like all the previous snow it has pretty much melted. The lake is nearly frozen across. It's supposed to snow this afternoon but we don't need to go anywhere so "no problem".

Tomorrow it should get up in the 40's so they can get the water pipe glued and strapped up under the trailer in the insulation. The underground water and sewer lines are 8' (yes FEET) underground. I'm managing to boil water for dishes and light washing up. Baby wipes, and some shampoo that they gave me in the hospital (no water needed) are sufficing for baths.

We've got the bedroom set up so we are comfortable, needs some re-arranging but that's down the road. The dining room is pretty well organized and the living room is comfortable - needs work, but it's going to be nice. The actual "living room" is the staging room for boxes right now, eventually we'll make in a den with a wood stove, our desks, and lots and lots of book cases. One bedroom will be the "pantry" and the other a dedicated guest room!

The worst part of this whole expedition is the State of California. Since Bob gave them a new mailing address they decided to hold his unemployment check until he has a phone interview this coming Thursday! Puts a crimp in lifestyle - but it's all good. Life is good

Old 10-12-2009, 07:46 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,356 times
Glad to hear your move went well. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Make sure to stop into Reisters and get some sausage (little shop on Main in Medina). They make the best.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:36 PM

We just did our first Monday night football at the Decoy - seems like there weren't too many Dolphins or Jets fans out tonight. Reisters is on my list.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:48 AM

309 posts, read 991,211 times
Well, glad to hear you've settled in. Welcome to the Great Plains and SNOW!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota