Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 PM

776 posts, read 1,275,758 times

Advertisements

People really do have better work ethics in the Midwest. That, and the minimum wage seems larger due to the low cost of living. So a lot of folks can bide their time in a min-wage job waiting for something better to come along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:53 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,084 times
Here in Minot, the low unemployment is due to a lot of reasons. Yes, we have an energy boom going on, oil and wind. We need workers who can have experience and need CDL drivers. With the energy and the military buildup, there are housing construction at an all time high. We need people who can sheetrock, electricians, plumbers, etc. To re-shingle your roof, you have to wait a minimum of 3 months before anyone can start. With all of these people moving in, so are other businesses, restaurants (slow pace) and other small types. With these people, more energy is needed, thus, more employees needed for utility companies. We are feeding upon ourselves to continue the growth. The income may be lower, but so is the housing, taxes, food, etc. If you are afraid of the winter, then you won't last. North Dakota winters are not for the weak hearted/minded. ND has a lot of offer in activities, schools, games, hunting, etc. We just finished with the Scandinavian Festival. Brought in thousands of people from around the states. Great time.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 PM

47 posts, read 136,837 times
What happened to the west coast states like California, I hope doesnt happen to such a great state as ND. And that is contractors bringing in Illegals for the greed of making more money. Now, I am far from a racist and have lived in Vegas and southern Cali for 25 years. and that is what has gone wrong there. Crime is out of control and yes it has everything to do with the growth of the Illegal population. You will save a dollar today but then next week it will cost you way more than what you thought you saved. I will always say.....Buy American And Hire An American. Keep your money in the neighbor hood. It will recirculate and keep your economy stronge. Please tell everyone this to assure the quality of life will go on for generations. And those contractors who say they cant find anyone to work........Tell them to pay a fair wage and stop the greed. It can and will destroy your neighborhood. Do whats right, Hire Americans!!!!!!!! Anyone one who wants to dispute this I will be more than happy to educate you on this subject. Thank you

Old 10-11-2009, 05:24 PM

246 posts, read 1,007,121 times
I don't think its racist at all to comment on the fact that companies are using illegal aliens to take jobs away from americans as long as you understand that an Illegal alien is not dependent on them being a certain color, etc. Only color that matters to the companies is green, and for those who are less scrupulous, they will do what they can to save a buck. And this is coming from someone who is certainly not pale.

The excuse some use that "American's won't do those jobs" leave out an important part, how much they are willing to pay. Paying people less than what is even minimum wage is why. Haven't seen one person yet I have asked in regards to this that if I paid them say 100K, would they refuse to pick fruit? All were more than willing to work. And the reason you see people from other countries willing to take these low paying jobs is that in there country, that money is significantly worth more than it is here. Want to end illegal immigration, heck, pay them the same amount they would make in there country for the same work they do here. Stops it butt cold.

Want to stop outsourcing? Start outsourcing the CEOs at the top. Not like you can't find an overseas executive who can smile and play golf just as well as they do for less money. Amazing that the outsourcing always is at the bottom, or worse, the insourcing some do by making american workers train there overseas replacements who can be paid as low as minimum wage even though they are replacing highly skilled computer analysts, etc.

The race to the bottom only leaves the vast majority of average americans broke.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:32 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I don't think its racist at all to comment on the fact that companies are using illegal aliens to take jobs away from americans as long as you understand that an Illegal alien is not dependent on them being a certain color, etc. Only color that matters to the companies is green, and for those who are less scrupulous, they will do what they can to save a buck. And this is coming from someone who is certainly not pale.

The excuse some use that "American's won't do those jobs" leave out an important part, how much they are willing to pay. Paying people less than what is even minimum wage is why. Haven't seen one person yet I have asked in regards to this that if I paid them say 100K, would they refuse to pick fruit? All were more than willing to work. And the reason you see people from other countries willing to take these low paying jobs is that in there country, that money is significantly worth more than it is here. Want to end illegal immigration, heck, pay them the same amount they would make in there country for the same work they do here. Stops it butt cold.

Want to stop outsourcing? Start outsourcing the CEOs at the top. Not like you can't find an overseas executive who can smile and play golf just as well as they do for less money. Amazing that the outsourcing always is at the bottom, or worse, the insourcing some do by making american workers train there overseas replacements who can be paid as low as minimum wage even though they are replacing highly skilled computer analysts, etc.

The race to the bottom only leaves the vast majority of average americans broke.
The better question is why is there a minimum wage? If someone can come in and do your job as well as you can and is willing to accept a dollar an hour... why do you believe you're worth more? Because you need more to live your life? He is living his life on a dollar an hour, why can't you? Oh! Because you believe you're "entitled" to more. Why's that? If you haven't created a skill set for yourself that allows you to demand more than minimum wage or more than an unskilled day laborer illegal immigrant, why do you believe your entitled to be paid more?

If you want to stop outsourcing jobs and prevent illegal immigration, take away the minimum wage. Stop relying on the Federal Government to get what you want and start using what's between your ears.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:41 AM

231 posts, read 736,549 times
why did people buy the yugo? why do people purchase less than oem quality windshields? because it's "good enough". the same reasoning can be applied to -insert field here- and the hiring practices for it.

i'm not saying that we are entitled to a minimum wage for more money, i'm saying that, otherwise, it's a race to the bottom, pure and simple. there aren't enough people in authoritative positions that value good work to pay the better workers fairly. furthermore, this country is too afraid of hurting feelings to pay the poor performers what they're really worth.

one of my favorite things to say in high school: i hate that i am demonstrably better than everyone else at my place of employment, and they still pay me the same.

i don't know enough about american labor history, but i do know that there are many things enacted by fdr and other quasi-marxist, u.s. leaders (eg minimum wage, social security) that have given the government more power than the founders intended.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 AM

246 posts, read 1,007,121 times
weird, went to edit but it deleted it instead.

Anyway to wrap up my comments on this thread, If you feel that your employment and wage should compete with oveseas equivalents which ironically includes a communist government and there various abuses with the blessing and encouragement of your government via its legislation, by all means, keep assuming whats between your ears will be your saving grace.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:31 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
The better question is why is there a minimum wage? If someone can come in and do your job as well as you can and is willing to accept a dollar an hour... why do you believe you're worth more? Because you need more to live your life? He is living his life on a dollar an hour, why can't you? Oh! Because you believe you're "entitled" to more. Why's that? If you haven't created a skill set for yourself that allows you to demand more than minimum wage or more than an unskilled day laborer illegal immigrant, why do you believe your entitled to be paid more?

If you want to stop outsourcing jobs and prevent illegal immigration, take away the minimum wage. Stop relying on the Federal Government to get what you want and start using what's between your ears.
My God have mercy upon anyone in your immediate area.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:28 PM

309 posts, read 991,403 times
Minot and Williston are an anomaly - it is only because of the energy that's boosting the economy. The air base was always the main supporter. The new economy model brings in the carpenters, plumbers, roofers, etc. Most of the rest of the state is in deep recession.
Grain prices have fallen off - so the farmers are deeper into debt than last year.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
My God have mercy upon anyone in your immediate area.
I'm pretty sure even God would want us to take care of ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota