Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:10 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshfield mom View Post
midwest?I live in missouri and pay 675 per month for my 2 bedroom apt.unemployment is at 10% if you are lucky enough to find a job. most dont pay over 8.00 per hour....You do the math!
Southern Missouri is not exactly the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I was once paid $138 a month plus room, board and transport to be a hired thug by the government in a place called Viet-nam. Oh yeah, they also provided health care and a $10,000 life insurance policy. I think I was underpaid. Fortunately my mother did not collect the life insurance.

As far as working anywhere you need at least $20 per hour on a 2,000 hour year to afford even basic housing, food and transport. I dont mean a house in the suburbs. I mean an apartment in a three decker, cheap high starch (no steaks and few veggies) cook your own supper and a very well used old car. Not exactly the American Dream. The Dream has been put on hold all over the country.

If these people think I should compete for a less than minimum wage jop please check with my first employer.

Last edited by GregW; 10-23-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
According to the U.S Census Missouri is a Midwestern state. Although I agree that the Southern portion of the state feels more like the South than the Midwest.

The Midwest is a huge region. When it comes to unemployment it has both the state with the highest unemployment rate (Michigan) and the lowest (North Dakota).

Old 10-23-2009, 01:49 PM

309 posts, read 991,298 times
According to the census bureau, I can't write down native american, even tho I am.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,060 times
According to this article, six of the 10 states with the lowest unemployment are in the Midwest. Congratulations to North Dakota, which has the lowest unemployment in the United States at 3.6%. Other Midwestern states with low unemployment include South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, and Iowa.

What do these states do that should be emulated by other states in the USA to reduce unemployment in states where unemployment is high?

Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
According to this article, six of the 10 states with the lowest unemployment are in the Midwest. Congratulations to North Dakota, which has the lowest unemployment in the United States at 3.6%. Other Midwestern states with low unemployment include South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, and Iowa.

What do these states do that should be emulated by other states in the USA to reduce unemployment in states where unemployment is high?

Many people in those midwest states are employed directly ( or indirectly) in an ag related industry.

The crops get raised and animals get fed and processed whether it's a recession or not.

Many other states could not emulate the agriculture of those midwest states.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,599 times
Quote:
Congratulations to North Dakota, which has the lowest unemployment in the United States at 3.6%.
North Dakota is such a jobs mecca that droves of people are moving there.

:/

Old 08-31-2010, 07:55 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
North Dakota is such a jobs mecca that droves of people are moving there.

:/
Most people are afraid of the cold. They don't know what a coat and long underwear are for. That's why you won't see an exodus. And it's one of the main reasons I'm going there. I don't have to worry about being crowded out like I have been in the "jobs mecca" I now live in. A "jobs mecca" is not all it's cracked up to be unless you like wall-to-wall people.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,213 times
My husband was stationed in Minot, ND and I can't find a decent paying job anywhere. This place is breaking us and we are struggling to pay our everyday living bills: cable, internet, cars, groceries, gas, etc. We have cut down so much moving here. Oh the economy is great here, unemployment is low and oh by the way, unless you know anything about oil, we're going to pay your crap money and then you can struggle in a small town you will probably despise and freeze in the constantly -30 degree temps. You will also develop cabin fever, even in the summer, because there is nothing to do! And don't even think about vacations because oh yeah, we are paying you crap money. I would give anything to be back in a large town with employment options! I would say the wages are low because the cost of living is low but that's also NOT true. Movie tickets are more expensive then Dallas, where I moved from! Groceries cost the same and gas is more expensive than a lot of the Southern states. Houses also cost more up here to buy, property taxes go up almost every year. I don't really understand the appeal of living here. I tried so hard to find friends here and get a good job and after a year I am pretty much fed up and just assume it's not going to happen. I'm just wishing we get kicked out of the air force due to financial hardship just so we don't have to spend another month here.

And that's my rant. I don't mean to offen anyone but I just don't understand why cost goes up and the wages go down! It's really not that great a place to live, in my opinion. If you like to farm and bee keep, then I'm sure you'll love it.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
My husband was stationed in Minot, ND and I can't find a decent paying job anywhere. This place is breaking us and we are struggling to pay our everyday living bills: cable, internet, cars, groceries, gas, etc. We have cut down so much moving here. Oh the economy is great here, unemployment is low and oh by the way, unless you know anything about oil, we're going to pay your crap money and then you can struggle in a small town you will probably despise and freeze in the constantly -30 degree temps. You will also develop cabin fever, even in the summer, because there is nothing to do! And don't even think about vacations because oh yeah, we are paying you crap money. I would give anything to be back in a large town with employment options! I would say the wages are low because the cost of living is low but that's also NOT true. Movie tickets are more expensive then Dallas, where I moved from! Groceries cost the same and gas is more expensive than a lot of the Southern states. Houses also cost more up here to buy, property taxes go up almost every year. I don't really understand the appeal of living here. I tried so hard to find friends here and get a good job and after a year I am pretty much fed up and just assume it's not going to happen. I'm just wishing we get kicked out of the air force due to financial hardship just so we don't have to spend another month here.

And that's my rant. I don't mean to offen anyone but I just don't understand why cost goes up and the wages go down! It's really not that great a place to live, in my opinion. If you like to farm and bee keep, then I'm sure you'll love it.
Sounds like you need to be in a densely populated area--there is nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. And we all need to engage in a little rant once in a while; god knows I do it too often. On the surface and looking at our respective posts, most would find that we have very little in common. But we do have one thing: we do not like where we live. I live in an area that probably has all the things that you would love. You live in an area that has what I want. Sad, huh? As soon as I read a post that says there is "nothing to do," that's when I get excited and start looking into the area. That's what I want and you want the exact opposite. I prefer to "freeze," you prefer to bake. Although we are on opposite ends of the spectrum, I feel the same anguish. Oh well, life goes on.

About your farming and bee-keeping comment: If I heard a buzzing bee for every damned car I hear going down this constantly traffic-choked street, I'd be a very happy person. So, yes, I'll gladly trade the traffic, noise, too-fast lifestyle and constant confusion for the bee-keeping any time.

One thing I would like to point out about "crap wages": it's all about perspective and lifestyle. I've lived on crap wages for most of my life. My frugal lifestyle allows me to do it. I just don't need the garbage most people buy and the new cars and ridiculously large living space and the vacation in Maui and the weekly viewing of the latest lame movie. It just doesn't interest me. I think that's one advantage I have over most people that complain about the lack of jobs. I'm willing to work for a wage that supports my lifestyle--which is about 10% of the average person's "needs" these days. I have a feeling there are jobs anywhere people actually live. They just aren't the show-boat jobs that everyone thinks they need and deserve. Hell, I don't care if I'm washing dishes, as long as it feeds me. Those hours I work are hours sold to my employer--it's not about having a job that doubles as a hobby or a social club. It's work. I just do the work to the best of my ability and he/she pays me. No more, no less.

Anyway, good luck if finding a place that makes you happy. I truly wish we were all in the place that makes each of us happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota