Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM

322 posts, read 1,234,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Love your pics (is that a lake in the background of pic.#2 beyond the trampoline?)
We've become interested in N. Dakota recently because we've heard jobs are more plentiful there (at least as compared to Michigan) and I'm eager to learn more about the state. Sounds like you're right on par with the Upper Peninsula when it comes to seasons.
The background in the photo is actually miles and miles of farmland. NO ONE around!!! Quiet, peaceful and I've noticed that since moving here we're able to spend alot more time and do alot more as a family. We don't have all the city distractions so we're able to grow as a family. Doesn't hurt that I don't have to worry about some one seeing my ginch (underwear) hung out on the clothesline. It's truly a fantastic area! Great state! I'm gonna try and get some more photos in the next day or two. That 3 days of rain really made things grow!! The trees are starting to fill out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:35 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
The background in the photo is actually miles and miles of farmland. NO ONE around!!! Quiet, peaceful and I've noticed that since moving here we're able to spend alot more time and do alot more as a family. We don't have all the city distractions so we're able to grow as a family.

That sounds WONDERFUL!!!!!
Like heaven on earth.

I'm curious - I know the winters are bitterly cold but how much snowfall do you average over the course of a winter? Do you get many days of sunshine?
I can take the cold if the sun is shining

Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 AM

28 posts, read 154,508 times
Interestingly, I'm just the opposite - I figure if it's gonna be cold, it might as well snow. Cold without snow is just...well...boring!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:32 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Quote:
That sounds WONDERFUL!!!!!
Like heaven on earth.

I'm curious - I know the winters are bitterly cold but how much snowfall do you average over the course of a winter? Do you get many days of sunshine?
I can take the cold if the sun is shining
Here is some info from a climate of North Dakota report by the former state Climatologist for ND. It was written back in the 70s I believe, but still contains very useful info. The numbers below are averages....and any given year can vary greatly. It was based on data from 1930 to about 1960...

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/habitat/climate/

Some info about sunshine from the report....

North Dakota receives a higher percentage of possible sunshine and more hours of sunshine annually than any state on the Canadian border with the exception of Eastern Montana which receives about the same amount. On an annual basis, North Dakota receives 58 to 62 percent of total possible sunshine (Table 9). July is the sunniest month when approximately three-fourths of the possible sunshine is recorded, while November is the poorest month for sunshine when only 40 to 46 percent of possible sunshine is registered. The amount of possible sunshine increases 11 to 14 percentage points from June to July, remaining high through August. Annually, North Dakota registers about 2,600 hours of sunshine in the east to more than 2,800 hours of sunshine in the west. Roughly 25 percent of the total hours of sunshine occur in July and August, and this is a large contributing factor to North Dakota's beautiful summer season.

Some info about snowfall from the report...

Annual snowfall in North Dakota ranges from less than 26 inches in parts of Mountrail and McLean counties in the west central to about 38 inches in a belt extending diagonally across the state from the northeast corner to the southwest. Average monthly snowfall amounts for any location in the state during the winter period of December through March average only five to eight inches, depending upon month and location. Average monthly snowfalls for November and April group in the range of two to four inches. Smaller average amounts fall in October and May.

Deep snow is not commonly found in North Dakota. Surprisingly, the average maximum snow depth measured at any time during the winter season ranges from only nine inches in the southwest to 15 inches in the northeast (Figure 43). Maximum snow depths are lower in the southwest because of the higher average temperatures which allow more melting and settling of the snow cover. Maximum snow depths vary greatly. During some winters very little snow accumulates, while in other winters, such as 1968-69, snow depth in early March ranged from 10 inches in the extreme west to more than 40 inches in the extreme southeast. This, however, was the deepest snow pack to cover the state since 1897.

To the delight of snowmobilers and other winter enthusiasts, the number of days with snow cover of one inch or more ranges from approximately 80 days in the southwest to more than 120 days in the northeast (Figure 44). That thick snow packs are not normal in North Dakota, the average maximum depth ranging from only nine to 15 inches, is again reflected in the maps of days with snow cover of six inches or more (Figure 45). Such a snow cover can be expected on only 20 days in the southwest to about 60 days in the northeast. A snow pack of 18 inches or more averages less than one day a year over large areas of the south and west half and only on about 10 days in the northeast corner (Figure 46).

The date on which there is a 50 percent chance of having a snow depth of at least one inch (that is, in half of the years the snow depth will be less than an inch and in half of the years the snow depth will be one inch or more on that date) in fall or early winter ranges from about November 20 in the north central to late December in the extreme southwest (Figure 47). In the spring, a snow depth of one inch or more can be expected to remain as late as March 15 in the extreme southwest and south central to early April in the deeper snow area in the northeast (Figure 48).

Dan .... meteorologist NWS Grand Forks

Old 05-09-2007, 10:59 AM

322 posts, read 1,234,440 times
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!! OK, I got some more photos from AFTER our 3 days of rain. As you can see in the first set of photos of the day it started to rain vs 4 days later the change is AWESOME! My plum trees have flowered and yesterday (May 8) the wind was blowing just right so the flowers were all you smell. These were taken yesterday, but it's just as beautiful out today! The last two photos is where the deer path is....we get a TON of deer in the coulee! The never ending road to nowhere photos are of our road (we're the ONLY house on this road!!), one is to the North and one to the South of our drive. The photo with the burn barrels is taken just on the other side of the trampoline (see first set of photos). A couple are taken from our little bridge the goes over the coulee.

I can also attach some photos of what it looks like in winter. It does snow alot, depends on what kind of year we're having to know how much snow we get, but it's usually alot. And YES....the sun DOES shine in the winter... I have some photos of our woods covered with snow and ice....everything is white and it reflects with the sun...hard to explain but I can find those pics and show em. Either way, summer or winter, it's beautiful! Sure it gets cold, but we just dress for the weather and have a blast outside in the snow. This winter the kids dug tunnels through the yard. It was cool as heck!! Little igloo type rooms and everything!

Enjoy!! I'll get those winter pics attached on here shortly!

Last edited by cold_eh_ND; 05-11-2007 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-09-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
A couple are taken from our little bridge the goes over the coulee.
Beautiful! Thanks! (I had to go to Wikipedia to find out what a coulee is )

Old 05-09-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post

Annual snowfall in North Dakota ranges from less than 26 inches in parts of Mountrail and McLean counties in the west central to about 38 inches in a belt extending diagonally across the state from the northeast corner to the southwest. Average monthly snowfall amounts for any location in the state during the winter period of December through March average only five to eight inches, depending upon month and location. Average monthly snowfalls for November and April group in the range of two to four inches. Smaller average amounts fall in October and May.
Wow, very informative, Dan - Thanks! Also very encouraging, as the annual snowfall where I live in Gogebic County Michigan averages around 300 inches (yes, 300 inches, that's not a typo). In Alger County, where I lived for 11 years, the annual snowfall was close to 400 inches, so North Dakota sounds wonderful in comparison.
Mahler3, believe me, if you had to endure snow every day for 5 monthes of the year, it would get old really fast

Old 05-09-2007, 11:24 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Wow, very informative, Dan - Thanks! Also very encouraging, as the annual snowfall where I live in Gogebic County Michigan averages around 300 inches (yes, 300 inches, that's not a typo). In Alger County, where I lived for 11 years, the annual snowfall was close to 400 inches, so North Dakota sounds wonderful in comparison.
Mahler3, believe me, if you had to endure snow every day for 5 monthes of the year, it would get old really fast
OMG and I complain about the snowfall down here.

Those are such nice pics. Thank you for sharing them with us. I liked the fact that your dog was just happily trotting along. And the pic where someone was walking down the road toward the bridge made Tom Sawyer pop into my head.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,096 times
I would encourage any of these readers to at least visit North Dakota. It is a great place to work or to start a business. Throughout the state, there is a great demand for engineers, tradesmen, teachers, etc. I came here three years ago from Colorado and enjoy many more opportunities to make a difference in a small town. Housing is inexpensive, groceries expensive. Hot summers, cold winters but great in between - cool and sunny.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:26 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,874 times
I am trying to find the pics that you all are talking bout? I would love to see some! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota