Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 AM

645 posts, read 1,529,634 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking at the Jamestown website, and chamber of commerce site, it looks like a pretty nice town with seemingly a lot going for it.

I'm really interested in hearing from you folks who live there, or moved from other parts of the country to live there, your thoughts of Jamestown, likes and dislikes, treatment as a newcomer, or any thing else that you might like to add.

Thank you, and looking forward to what you have to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 11:10 AM

394 posts, read 1,166,624 times
I am a lifelong Jamestown resident.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM

645 posts, read 1,529,634 times
Thanks Corbay.

I'm sure if the situation gels further, your help will be most valuable.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,567 times
I'll give you a short reply here. Jamestown is a smallish type city of about 16,000 people, located about 100 miles from anyplace else you might want to be (Fargo and Bismarck...and Aberdeen, SD and Devils Lake if you really want to go there) We are short on commercial enterprises. Wal-Mart dominates the commercial landscape due to the Buffalo Mall being half empty. Industrially we have Goodrich corp. (Airplane Parts), Duratech (Metal Buildings), and Cavendish Farms (Potato Processing) to name a couple. Also located in Jamestown are the North Dakota State Hospital and James River Correctional Center. Leisure activities include various forms of recreation on the Jamestown Reservoir (Fishing, Boating, Camping, Disk Golfing). There are 2 golf courses within the immediate area of the town. As for the people I have noticed that most are friendly to anyone, regardless of where you come from. It’s generally safe as well, I haven’t ever feared walking down any streets at night and the crime rate (for major offences) is pretty low.
I myself have lived in Jamestown for most of my life; I have lived in bigger cities for a few years. Growing up here, I hated it. It is boring for a child, even through adolescence there is little to do in the town itself. Drug use is prominent as is alcoholism (from what I have seen personally). If you have children I recommend that you watch whom they hang out with. The school system is good. I will give it that. A new high school was completed within the last few years, and the middle school has had major updates. It’s easy to get in with the wrong crowd…and it’s a big crowd. By the time I was old enough to leave, I couldn’t wait to get out of Jamestown (which is a common feeling amongst younger people). I eventually returned and have made a lot of friends in the process of coming back to town. I still am looking for opportunities in larger communities, but for now, Jamestown works.
[SIZE=2]So much for the short reply
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota