Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:36 PM

122 posts, read 427,667 times

Advertisements

Ok, we're settling in. Reality is that routine shopping for us is going to be Jamestown (?) to the east and "epic" shopping is more than likely going to be Bismarck.

Thanks to a member here and a friend's cousin we have contact info for a person for lamb. I'm waiting till we get a little freezer space cleared for that.

But now we're down to the day to day basic stuff. All in all, as a home chef (looking to do something professionally with food here, eventually) I'm struggling with a few things.

We haven't been back to Bismarck in a while (Dan's) but certainly in Jamestown there is a dearth of produce and basic pork products. I'm not looking to buy imported fruits and veggies - prefer local as much as possible, but turnips, parsnips, etc. make for pretty bland diet. Celery root (celariac?) anywhere?????? Oh and fresh herbs????? Are there any decent "ethnic" grocery stores around (Asian/Mexican)???

On the pork side - we have a wonderful butcher shop here in town but they can't (won't) sell me unrendered pork fat or pork bellies. Yes, I make my own sausage, my own lard (for tamales & carnitas), and we smoke our own bacon and Chinese braised pork belly is to die for. I'm not in a position to buy a whole hog this year (freezer space), but my smoker is screaming at me, we're out of bacon, and if I want to make tamales again I'm out of home rendered lard.

Any help on this????? I hope we can sticky this thread so we can share recipes, sources, and food information. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:01 PM

54 posts, read 182,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
Try the Foods and Recipes section of the Germans from Russia Heritage Collection site. The last I looked there were about 8 variations for kuchen.
thanks so much! I have found a few recipes on various sites, but it really helps if it one that is recommended!!

Old 01-06-2010, 02:18 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,443 times
Hornbachers Grocery stores in Fargo usually have a very small section of lamb in their meat depts...esp the West Acres, Osgood, and 32nd Ave stores. I've seen some at Sunmart or Cashwise, too, but don't remember which one.

Meats by John & Wayne by the Home Depot parking lot sometimes has it, & I'm pretty sure that Valley Meats here in Valley City always has some, tho if you're looking for something special it might be best to call a few days ahead of time. VM has elk, buffalo, & some other unusual stuff, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich19 View Post
You can find lamb at middle eastern restaurants like Ali Baba's or Aladdin's in Fargo. Also, there are some international grocery stores in Fargo that offer things around that line.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
I'm pretty sure that Valley Meats here in Valley City always has some, tho if you're looking for something special it might be best to call a few days ahead of time. VM has elk, buffalo, & some other unusual stuff, too.
I guess we're going to have to venture beyond Jamestown to the East so we can check out Valley Meats.

We don't get to Fargo often - may have to schedule a trip though. Of course we probably won't be leaving the farm for a few days!

Old 01-08-2010, 01:49 AM

17 posts, read 63,956 times
Fargo has a few asain markets. They are all on Main Avenue I believe. There is the Asian-American Market, FM International Foods, and The Lotus Blossum. Moorhead has a small mexican market called La Unica. For fresh produce there is a small operation called Red Goose Gardens that delivers fresh locally grown produce to the FM area through a "buying club".Red Goose Gardens

Old 01-08-2010, 12:31 PM

Thank you. It's looking like a now and then trip to Fargo to shop - from Medina it's a hike but we like our food so . . . you go where you can get it.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 PM

We went to Valley Meats today! Came home with a lovely pork belly for bacon and Chinese braised pork belly, and some "round bacon". I also ordered some pork jowls, some to smoke and some for guanciale

If I can get another belly when we pick up the jowls I'll get some pancetta curing too.

Well be going to Fargo in 2 weeks so we'll be shopping.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 PM

54 posts, read 182,842 times
Yum! Sounds like we need to make a trip to Valley Meats! Our butcher shop here in Oakes is really good, but its nice to see what other people have!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 PM

Had to go to Fargo yesterday - all I can say about that is that the medical care here in North Dakota is absolutely fantastic - makes Ca look like poo!

Now to reference the title "North Dakota & Food"; we were looking for someplace to eat close to the Innovis facility on University Dr. We took a leap of faith and tried "The Taco Shop"! OMG the Southwest Burrito was a treat, and their "killer" hot sauce was to die for. Everything was fresh, the sauce was made there, and the prices were reasonable.

It does not look like much when you go inside, and the cups claim they have been serving tacos since 1961 - that kinda messes with my mind, I mean tacos in ND before I was out of high school????

Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 AM

625 posts, read 1,882,443 times
yup...the Taco Shop has been around *forever*!!! I think there's 3 of them in Fargo.

Taco Johns is my favorite....it's a national chain but stays mostly in smaller towns. We ahve one in Valley City & we eat there more than all the other fast food places combined....even when we lived in Grand Forks which has a much bigger selection of fast food, we ate mostly at Taco Johns.

Fargo also has Taco Bell, but I don't care for the flavor of their salsa & hot sauces. Taco John's I can (and do) eat by the spoonsful.

Holler when you're coming to Valley sometime & I'll put on the coffee or heat water for tea.

Email me if you want my phone #.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota