Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:46 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreb View Post
If you're promoting wind energy - just come out and say it. Don't make baseless accusaions about the coal industry in ND to justify it.

As for your claim that North Dakota isn't developing it's wind energy capabilities - just because you type something (like the ND air quality "problems"), it doesn't make it true. Do a little research before you throw accusations around. For example, a simple google search for "north dakota wind power" results in this page: North Dakota Wind Energy Projects (broken link)

Nope - ND's not developing wind energy at all.
North Dakota has always been a state that has been big in the energy extraction industry. An increase in wind energy development could be a boon to rural landowners. This would be a great incentive for people to stay in rural areas if they get monetary compensation by leasing their land for wind turbines. ALL states in the Great Plains have the potential to export electricity that is generated from clean renewable sources instead of coal. The federal government needs to invest more money in wind energy to increase the viability of rural areas in the Great Plains that need economic development.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:48 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
The goal is 10,000 MW capacity by 2020.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
The goal is 10,000 MW capacity by 2020.
EXCELLENT

Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 PM

Interesting website:
Clear The Air (http://www.cleartheair.org/dirtypower/map.html - broken link)

Old 09-27-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
American Lung Association:*Air Pollution Facts & Air Quality Info - Best & Worst Cities - ALA State of the Air 2007 (http://lungaction.org/reports/sota07_cities.html - broken link)

If you search for Mercer county, you find it 19th on a list of the top 25 cleanest-air counties in the USA (above most other North Dakota counties nowhere near coal mining or burning). While I don't doubt that somebody from Beulah had health issues, I tend to doubt that it's because of dirty air.
Clear The Air (http://www.cleartheair.org/dirtypower/map.html - broken link)
Click on North Dakota, examine the data, and then read the statement by Ardyce Haugen.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:47 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
Well, let me share my expierience in North Dakota.

Im a Yankee, from Connecticut.. but have not only lived in Connecticut.. I've also spent time in Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, North Dakota and New Hampshire... mostly for work.

I can adapt to just about anyone, any attitude or way of life. I most certaily do not bring a Yankee attitude with me anyone, and I'm always saying Hello, Goodbye, Goodnight, Good morning..being a polite neighbor type.

I lived in Williston from May to September 2006 working for a local FM radio station doing the morning show. The Williston area, of all the places I've been is the most beautiful. Sure, it's flat, but I loved it. I once drove up to the tower site for NBC Affiliate KUMV Channel 8 in Williston, it's up on a hill outsid eof town.. and I fell in love with Williston right then and there...beautiful green land.

I loved the summers because there was a lack of humidity.. it could be 100 and feel like its 85. Where Im from, when it's 100.. it feels like its 115. Winters don't bother me, cold weather and snow are just that and I can handle it fine.

There was plenty to do in town, always something going on. I never had a problem with anyone, never saw any pretentious people or bad attitudes. When I introduced myself as being new to town, I was welcomed with open arms.

Ironically, the only people I had trouble with were my co workers at the radio station.. While I worked there, they were friendly and always offereed a helping hand when I needed something, however after I left the radio station and resigned, they pretended like I didn't exsist, I never heard from them again. The other problem i had with my co-workers was that NONE of them had ever lived outside of Williston or worked in radio anywhere but there I ran into a few personality/programming clashes simply because I've seen things done several different ways in radio before and I simply wanted to try and interject some of what Ive learned elsewhere, but they didn't like that. (I never ever said they were wrong or said "We have to do it my way".. I simply made suggestions and reccomendations)

With that being said... I miss North Dakota. After I got let go, I even went for an interview or two at the other radio station..I would've loved to stay in Williston.

Do I regret leaving North Dakota? You bet!
Would I return? In a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek2007 View Post
Do I regret leaving North Dakota? You bet!
Would I return? In a heartbeat.
I should add that I've been looking to return to North Dakota and have applied for broadcasting jobs in the past year, with no luck.. but when it's meant to happen, it will

Last edited by Jammie; 10-01-2007 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 10-09-2007, 11:08 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
I thought I'd add to this thread.

Last week, I had a very, very vivid dream.. that I had gotten a radio job back in North Dakota. And what's weird, is that the dream was SO vivid I could actually picture myself ON THE AIR, sitting in a studio.

Well, I've applied 2 times previously in Jamestown at a station there with no luck, but I followed up with them just 2 days ago over a posting they had, and I spoke to the boss there for a good long while.

We'll see if I get the chance to return..

Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
Default I ave never looked back

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmeguy View Post
I grew up in a small town in ND. All in all I lived in the state 25 years. I left as eventually did all my family. I do not miss the winters. Does anyone remember the winter of 79-80 when it didn't get above 0 for weeks at a time? I do not miss the floods. The '80 flood in GF was bad enough, I'm glad I was gone before the '97 one hit. Tiny towns with crappy schools, no jobs and nothing to keep the kids from moving away. I read in the Fargo Forum last year that ND had somehting like a 5% annual population loss and quoted some official who sounded puzzled why anyone would leave the state. People, there are plenty of good safe places to raise your kids. You don't have to do it in ND.
First I just moved away and the last stat I read ND had been growing again. To answer your firt question I have never looked back. A couple of days ago it was 80 in Fargo tomarrow it is supposed to be 40's. NOT FOR ME I like my weather a little more predictible.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,777 times
Its true. Most people move away from ND because its too cold or they can't find a job. About 10 years ago, I would have agreed, but then I moved to California, even gave my siblings a bad time about it. But then, I discovered over the years, its not all about the weather, yes! finding a job IS important. Sometimes its just a compromise. I'm moving back to ND next summer. I've been to the big city, and California too, but, if you think that your fine without a nice white Christmas, safe neighborhoods, wide open spaces with lots of fresh air, don't move to North Dakota. Most places are still that way here. Just read the posts on North Dakota. You gotta love it!..I'm looking forward to moving back.
Embrace North Dakota and it will return a 100 fold..
Anyway! Good luck to all moving back!!!!..

Old 10-14-2007, 09:03 AM

103 posts, read 706,489 times
Computergeek2007, I too would give anything to move back to Williston. I would love to be there right now, especially during the oil boom. It is fun to see all the new faces, and listen to all the buzz. The scenery is beautifull around that town. My favorite area is just south of Williston where they have the Lewis&Clark wildlife refuge. You pass over the Missouri river bridge heading south on to a flat plains lush with prairie grasses , cat tails, swampy areas, and cottonwood trees...and then across a land bridge that seperates backwaters of the Missouri again...and then up into the bluffs of Indian Hills. To the east are large rolling hils, to the north flat lower rise rolling hills for as far as the eye can see. Love it! I love taking pictures of that area...each season brings a different view of the same landscape. As far as Radio...it is funny how just a couple years back, Williston-Sidney area Radio was 4Country and 4Christian and 1Rock, today, it is 4Christian and 3Rock...with only 2 country stations left. Probably a reflection of the younger energy field workers moving back? Now sure how demographics work, and why music formats change so abruptly. I saw on the FCC site that there is a new Radio station 98.5 but its listed as ''vacant''...does this mean someone owns the rights and it is in the works? Just curious since you are a radio person. Maybe if this is a new station, your dream could come true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota