Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 09:49 AM

12 posts, read 52,591 times

Advertisements

For no other reason than to see the state and meet the people. I've been to 48 of the 50, with North Dakota and Hawaii the only two that I haven't visited.

Looking at a map, nothing really stands out as a good route. Any recommendations on where to go/what to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 05:30 PM

158 posts, read 1,084,677 times
If I was to recommend anyplace it would be to stop in Medora and then drive and visit the badlands.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
I too thought North Dakota was going to be boring ....however I was pleasantly surprised ......I agree with previous post about Medora....also check out Beach ....another town nearby ....Theodore Roosevelt National Park ...both north and south units are definitely worth checking out.... I did and was impressed with the area...

Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 PM

180 posts, read 634,821 times
Yeh, the Badlands are great. Lake Sakajawea is pretty neat too, unfortuantly, I'm unable to spell it correctly. Bismarck-Mandan has some semi-interesting Ameri-Indian stuff - "The Depot" in Mandan - Native American Art and whatever it is the earthlodge thingys @ Fort Lincoln are called.

The Missouri is also quite beautifull around Bismarck and has some great mountain biking. If you like golf (I don't so I'm not tottally sure), Hawk Tree, north of Bismarck is apparently quite good / unique nationally, Bully Puplpet (another golf course, this one in Medora in the Badlands) I'd imagine is also pretty neat.

I'd fly into Bismarck, and stay there for a day & then go to the Badlands. Advice on Bismarck-Mandan: I'd eat supper at the Walrus - Have a Moose Drool on Tap there, the Bistro, Pirouge Grill, or Meriwethers (can't make up my mind ), East 40 is also really good. I'd then have a drink @ the Broken Oar in Mandan next to the Missouri. For lunch, have an Indian taco (if you come to ND, you need to have an indian taco) & a Margaritta @ Fiesta Villa for lunch.

Whatever you do, don't miss the Badlands.

I'd ignore the eastern portion of the state; Its boring as hell.

Last edited by ebitdadada; 05-29-2007 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: editing

Old 05-30-2007, 09:00 PM

213 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebitdadada View Post
For lunch, have an Indian taco (if you come to ND, you need to have an indian taco) & a Margaritta @ Fiesta Villa for lunch.
What's an "Indian taco"?

And I'm not too happy to hear the eastern part of ND is boring as hell--I'll be moving there (well, to Moorhead, MN) in August! Oh no!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:36 PM

87 posts, read 401,137 times
Eastern ND boring as hell ? I have to disagree, since I am originally from Fargo. Aesthically not pleasing to many, but Fargo is full of culture, active and more diverse than most of the state.

Being from the Red River Valley, I find a very unique beauty in the prairie. It is very flat, as the eastern part of ND was the bottom of glacial Lake Agassiz. The sunsets can be spectacular.

But a visit to ND is not complete without a trip out west. I do agree The badlands are incredible.

Just don't rule out the whole state ! There is a lot to explore.

(If memory doesn't fail me, I believe Indian tacos are tacos made with fried bread. Very good !)

Old 05-31-2007, 06:41 AM

158 posts, read 1,084,677 times
Indian tacos are great. Also after you move here, the International Peace Gardens are nice. They are sticking around 32 million into it in the next few years.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:27 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
If you're looking for scenery, eastern ND isn't the most exciting place on earth. There's a lot to do in the eastern half of the state as well. I currently live in Moorhead, and it's a perfectly fine place to live; and only as boring as you decide to make it.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:43 PM

180 posts, read 634,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
If you're looking for scenery, eastern ND isn't the most exciting place on earth. There's a lot to do in the eastern half of the state as well. I currently live in Moorhead, and it's a perfectly fine place to live; and only as boring as you decide to make it.
By "Boring as Hell", I mean as in to visit. I'm sure its an ok place to live and all but there really arn't many things I can see that a tourist from random US metro could do in Fargo that they can't do @ home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota