Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:31 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmn View Post
Maybe you're referring to the wind chills. The temperature has never been -49 F in Fargo, let alone -60 F. The all-time record low is -39 F for Fargo (Monthly Averages for Fargo, ND (58102) - weather.com) and -43 F for Grand Forks.
You are correct....as a meteorologist working in Grand Forks....these numbers are correct. When using the old wind chill forumla -60F was common for WC but nowadays with the new wind chill formula about -50F was about the worst last year in Fargo and only briefly.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
I have experienced a good share of a few consecutive single digit -0 nightly lows, but never -0 highs, never anything below -7, and I'm curious how to adapt/survival guide to what seems like could be a week or so of -0 highs, and -25 or so lows and incredibly low wind chills in ND.

Homes: I'm guessing homes are built to a much higher spec/code regarding insulation to protect against frozen pipes, and that footers must be 6 feet or so deep... Is this true? Do homes suffer foundation damage caused by heaving? Does the cold interfere with sewage/septic systems?

Are heating bills in the winter a real hardship for a "normal" home?

Are most garages heated and insulated?

Car/Truck If you don't have a garage, is their any hope that your car will start/oil flow at -25? Is a block heater mandatory, and is switching to extremely low viscosity oil mandatory (0W-20). How about antifreeze... Do most folks run about a 70% or greater concentration?

Do windows shatter when closing doors, tires/interiors crack, fuel get so thick that it won't flow?

When you leave your car parked all day at work when say the high is -9, do you experience many problems? I'm guessing max CCA (cold cranking amp) batteries are the rule?

Humans: I guess bundle up all exposed areas with layers, and don't lick metal flag poles?

Thanks for reading my long post, and please add any tips, and anything else about how to survive the cold that I have missed.

Thanks.
Homes are built much better, almost all have basements and your hot water tank and furnace are usually all located in the basement.

On super cold nights, 10 degrees and lower most people run a faucet all night long (just a little more than a trickle). It will keep your pipes from freezing.
Most people in colder climates unhook their garden hose and turn off the water to the spicket. VERY IMPORTANT TO DO THAT...as you can have your pipes bust if you don't.

Many in cold climates get their anti freeze drained and redone every year, and 1st thing they usually do when purchasing a car, is get rid of the cheap dealer battery and by a heavy duty battery. They also for the most part, if they don't have a garage, start their cars in the morning a good 15 minutes before they leave, to defrost the car, and warm it up. Very cold climates also cause car owners to use a different grade of oil in the winter.

I've never heard of a window shattering, and personally never knew anyone that had a fuel freezeup...again the fuel in cars in colder climates pretty much has an additional additive in the fuel to keep it from freezing up.

Layering clothes can be a good idea, but seriously most people just walk from their car to their work entrance, store entrance etc. It's not like they're outside playing in 30 degree below zero weather. The people who do work outside, do layer their clothing, the also buy special clothing that can keep them warm.

My husband was a postal carrier with a walking route, he had gloves that were basically invented by Nasa. The gloves worked well.

You buy what I would call "upgraded" clothing for the cold climates.
A coat that one would wear in severly cold climates, would roast someone down here. Everyone adapts to the climate they live in, and businesses adapt for the residents.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,240 times
Wow, I've never heard of running water to keep pipes from freezing.

As far as wind chill goes, don't let the numbers frighten you. Wind chill only affects exposed skin. If the wind isn't hitting your skin, the wind chill is basically null. The worst it's been where I've been out is with a wind chill of about -80 (by the new standard). At that temp I had snowmobile suit, insulated boots, jacket, gauntlet-length snowmobile gloves, a cap, a hood, a scarf, and ski goggles on. That being said, regular air temp was around -40. Don't let that scare you--it was 14 years ago and it was pretty extreme for the area. The reason for all the clothing was because with that much wind, the risk of frostbite was very high. I haven't personally seen -40 during daylight for quite a few years, and rarely -30.

Yay, global warming!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 6,660 times
I would just like to point out that SD is nothing like ND. I read a study that was done on the coldest cities in the US. All of them were in Alaska, Michigan, Minnesota, and North Dakota. None of them were in South Dakota. South Dakota is way different from North Dakota. I'm speaking from experience! I've lived in both states, and I'd have to say that I froze my butt off in ND. A couple of years back the temp was over -60 degrees with wind chill. So, yes, you're pipes can freeze. It's happened to many people. If your insulation is not that good, then you would want to turn your water on just to a trickle during the night. It does help. I just wanted to speak my mind. Thanks.

I would like to say to people asking about fuel freezing up. Everyone is saying that they haven't ever heard of it. I have! In North Dakota, I worked at a gas station and one night we had about 10 people come in saying that either their car broke down or it happened to someone on the insterstate. The gas in people's vehicles were gelling up. It would be pretty hard for it to happen if you ran E-85 or just regular in your car, but it's the deisel you have to watch out for. Those are the ones that freeze up. You have to buy the additive called "heat". They have other ones too. Put that in your gas tank and you should be good to go.

Last edited by Jammie; 11-20-2007 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 11-20-2007, 09:21 AM

82 posts, read 258,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bina_vc View Post
I would like to say to people asking about fuel freezing up. Everyone is saying that they haven't ever heard of it. I have! In North Dakota, I worked at a gas station and one night we had about 10 people come in saying that either their car broke down or it happened to someone on the insterstate. The gas in people's vehicles were gelling up. It would be pretty hard for it to happen if you ran E-85 or just regular in your car, but it's the deisel you have to watch out for. Those are the ones that freeze up. You have to buy the additive called "heat". They have other ones too. Put that in your gas tank and you should be good to go.
You are correct. While gasoline itself will not freeze, any water that gets into your lines or gas tank will freeze. Primarily this is due to condensation. Isopropyl alcohol (Heet) removes the water from your fuel system, thereby preventing freezing. Diesel is a little bit different. #2 diesel will gel up very easily when it gets cold. However, adding Heet to diesel reduces the freezing temperature and should take care of any big problems.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bina_vc View Post
I would just like to point out that SD is nothing like ND. I read a study that was done on the coldest cities in the US. All of them were in Alaska, Michigan, Minnesota, and North Dakota. None of them were in South Dakota. South Dakota is way different from North Dakota. I'm speaking from experience! I've lived in both states, and I'd have to say that I froze my butt off in ND. A couple of years back the temp was over -60 degrees with wind chill. So, yes, you're pipes can freeze. It's happened to many people. If your insulation is not that good, then you would want to turn your water on just to a trickle during the night. It does help. I just wanted to speak my mind. Thanks.

I couldn't agree with you more. There are a lot of differences between No. Dak. and So. Dak. and it does get much colder up there. But I replied to the poster since I do have experience with cold weather. The record low temp for the area I live in is -55 and that's without windchill. So, it does get a bit chilly down here, too.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:48 PM

70 posts, read 406,663 times
Where I grew up, 10 ABOVE zero was unthinkably cold, so it took a while for me to adjust to the below zero temps typically found in the Dakotas. It's like anything else though, you can adapt to it and learn to cope with it, but I wouldn't say you ever get used to it, if you know what I mean. It's like a night person forcing themselves to wake up at 5 in the morning to go to a job they hate, they can do it because they have to, but it doesn't feel natural.

When you go outside, remember to dress in layers and wear a hat. Most of your body heat is lost through your exposed head. Wearing a long sleeve shirt, a light sweat shirt and heavy ski jacket will obviously keep you warmer than just a shirt and ski jacket.

For your car, in addition to a block heater, I would highly recommend a remote car starter. Some higher end models allow you to program them to automatically start your car when the temp falls below a preset value then shut off after a preset time. It will save you from running outside on your coffee breaks to start it. Some even have an LCD display that sends an alert to you when the car is running. When you live in the Dakotas, it's the best $300+ you can spend for your car.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:36 AM

11 posts, read 36,810 times
What part of the state are you moving too? The SW is way diffrent form the North or the East.

The last two Christmas's I was riding my Harley, No snow No ice, wearing a hoodie to stay ! That is Dickinson... I travle ND alot and in one day from east to west it can vary as much as 50 degrees in the winter!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota