Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 10,146 times

Advertisements

We spent the first two years of our marriage living on base, and it was easier to find friends then. We bought a house north of base about 3 years ago, and we like it even better than living on base. Of course now we already have a bunch of friends, so we aren't actively looking for friends anymore, and I'm sure that would make a huge difference. Up here, we are only really friends with one of our neighbors.

I've found that a lot of people in Minot are friendly, if you make the first move, but it seems like a lot of them are shy, and don't talk until you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,226 times
dan82901@msn.com I was concidered for a position as a hvac tech there,if i take the job what do i have to look forward to .i am living in northern wyoming ,and moved here from michigan

Old 06-07-2010, 10:26 AM

431 posts, read 1,605,295 times
Good Morning,
I saw your comment on the City Data Forum. Living in ND is just like any other town. If you go out and meet people, join activities, volunteer, you will meet lots of nice people. But if you sit around in your home wondering why you can't make friends/acquaintances, then no, you will be lonely.

As for living in ND, especially in the Minot area, I am from Texas and moved here in 1990. It's like 2 different countries, where people get together, help each other, wave to each other, or even come and sit with you and just start talking. That threw me off guard when people started doing that. We have a lower crime rate than national average, no slums, no ghettos, just an average town.
Winters are harsh, but we don't have as many tornadoes or hurricanes. If you let the weather guide your movements, then you will never leave your home but a few days of the year. For HVAC people, with our temps from the highs to the lows, you really have a year round job. Even during the winter, I had to wait 2 days to get my heater going .

Something to think about.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,517 times
Hey we might move to minot pretty soon. How was your experience? Did you live on or off base? If you lived off base where did you live and stuff?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:34 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minote View Post
Hey we might move to minot pretty soon. How was your experience? Did you live on or off base? If you lived off base where did you live and stuff?
It's really important that you live on base if at all possible. Rents are ridiculously high in the city, because of the nearby oil boom and and the flood last year.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertrev View Post
So what other activities are there in Minot? I don't ice fish, not terribly religious, didn't learn curling in Texas, etc... First thing I do will be to join the Y or MSU gym, but what else is there?
Is there a road or mountain biking group, or a ski club that organizes trips?
Here you go: https://www.facebook.com/groups/magiccitymtb/ Couple places around Minot to go mountain biking - The Bison Plant, which is just a couple miles outside of town, and Black Butte, which is only about 30 miles away.

I try and get out cycling or skiing most weekends. If you're interested, drop me a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota