Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 11:38 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
The Bismarck Tribune had a story of a Florida couple who were lured to Hazelton (near Bismarck) with incentives to build a new house, etc.. they jumped at the chance (without doing their homework) They came from Miami to escape crime, traffic jams, and millions of people. Well, they are leaving after 4 years, and blamed "rude people". ..................They said they had to get a restraining order against the owners of a business they were competing with (the Florida couple had opened up a coffee shop and there was already one in town) because of supposed threats, etc... against them. But again, there are 2 sides to every story....................................

In a town of 450 people that already had a cafe/coffeeshop, these guys decided to start another one. A town that size is lucky to be able to keep a cafe going, but no way would there be enough business to keep 2 going.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:43 AM

350 posts, read 570,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspinky42 View Post
With in 24hrs a Pastor from a local church helped us with furniture, food, and we arrived 2 days before Thanksgiving, he provided us with Thanksgiving dinner. So there are good people around, and there are not so nice people. There are some that would rather new comers just stay away. you have those people everywhere. I have many stories I could tell about life here. Good and bad! Life has not been so simple since moving here, but it hasnt been so bad either. You have to take both and adapt and keep moving forward! As far as the rest of our family my husabnds mother and sister came for a visit. They did not like it here. not modern enough for them here. We have adapted.
We had a pretty similar experience. One of the local pastors, as well as a family from his church helped us move in right away. My dad had actually flown out to ND and lived in an apartment for a month or so during the summer, so he had made some ties with the town and had begun working for the local telephone company. He flew back to PA and we all drove to ND together in August of 1996. I was only 12 at the time, so it was quite an experience. Up until then, my brothers and I hadn't been further west than West Virginia, so it was pretty exciting and scary for us. We had no problems fitting into small town Bottineau, however, which made it fairly easy for us to fall in love with North Dakota. I definitely miss not seeing my extended family often (as kids my cousins, brothers and I were pretty much tied at the hip), but we do make it back every couple of years to visit.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 AM

350 posts, read 570,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
In a town of 450 people that already had a cafe/coffeeshop, these guys decided to start another one. A town that size is lucky to be able to keep a cafe going, but no way would there be enough business to keep 2 going.
Exactly. I wonder if there was any kind of terms in the agreement as to what kind of business the new family should/could start, or if they basically just gave them the money and said good luck. As an outsider, it would be pretty tough to anticipate economic conditions here, but even a little common sense would tell you that opening a business in which there is no demand for the service is suicide in small town America.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:58 AM

165 posts, read 600,876 times
I think that the people in the upper midwest tend to act this way. Very direct, don't beat around the bush, what do you want, I'm busy type of quality with a lot of these people.

Many old time Midwestern people are from Scandinavia and Germany. These people from the old country were all farmers who came to this land and they have become "cliquish" as it were and not liking outsiders.

I couldn't imagine living in a tiny town in the middle of North Dakota. I would try to blend in somewhat. (in ND, I would have a big truck, and wear jeans and outdoors clothing.) I am white and German looking. And really, except for my wife and employers, I don't care what people think of me and I do not have close friendships.

What would kill me living there is that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO. The town is tiny, and the larger city is 45 minutes away. That town is so small that probably a lot of these people are probably interrelated.

These scandinavians/germans don't want no greasy looking guy with gold chains with a last name that ends with a syllable in their town.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:19 PM

95 posts, read 291,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
I think that the people in the upper midwest tend to act this way. Very direct, don't beat around the bush, what do you want, I'm busy type of quality with a lot of these people.

Many old time Midwestern people are from Scandinavia and Germany. These people from the old country were all farmers who came to this land and they have become "cliquish" as it were and not liking outsiders.

I couldn't imagine living in a tiny town in the middle of North Dakota. I would try to blend in somewhat. (in ND, I would have a big truck, and wear jeans and outdoors clothing.) I am white and German looking. And really, except for my wife and employers, I don't care what people think of me and I do not have close friendships.

What would kill me living there is that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO. The town is tiny, and the larger city is 45 minutes away. That town is so small that probably a lot of these people are probably interrelated.

These scandinavians/germans don't want no greasy looking guy with gold chains with a last name that ends with a syllable in their town.
Agreed!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 PM

8 posts, read 22,172 times
Default Agree with unfriendly people

My daughter lives in Hettinger County. Some people moved to Mott from Utah, bought the motel and the bowling alley. Had a good business in the eatery in the bowling alley. In fact so good the other eating establishments complained to the wonderful city government and the government "suggested" the bowling alley resteraunt close on some days. The people were new, but the bowling alley was an old established business, which had been closed for quite a while. Apparently no one had the money to but it. The people cannot survive on the motel only, so I believe they are moving out. There are a few locals on Mott that are friendly, but not many. If not born there, you do not belong.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmp View Post
My daughter lives in Hettinger County. Some people moved to Mott from Utah, bought the motel and the bowling alley. Had a good business in the eatery in the bowling alley. In fact so good the other eating establishments complained to the wonderful city government and the government "suggested" the bowling alley resteraunt close on some days. The people were new, but the bowling alley was an old established business, which had been closed for quite a while. Apparently no one had the money to but it. The people cannot survive on the motel only, so I believe they are moving out. There are a few locals on Mott that are friendly, but not many. If not born there, you do not belong.
What kind of attitude is that? Why would anyone want to be like that?

Old 03-03-2010, 01:27 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What kind of attitude is that? Why would anyone want to be like that?
That's just the way some really small towns are. I love small towns, but I don't think I'd live somewhere with a population of less than 1,000. It can become really insular.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
I think we're getting into massive generalizations here. All small towns aren't the same. Some have accepted eventual death, some haven't accepted eventual death, some are growing, and others have been maintaining a population and regional status for decades.

In a similar sense, the attitudes of all small town populations aren't the same. Some towns have experienced periods of in-migration and out-migration fairly consistently over the decades. Some haven't. Some people aren't willing to be welcoming to outsiders, others are just pleased that somebody is willing to run a grocery store in town. Germans are known as direct, but some are passive-aggressive. Scandinavians are known for being passive-aggressive, but some are very direct.

But, I think we can all agree on one thing. No town of 250 people has anything close to enough customer base to support two eatieries, grocery stores, funeral homes, or pharmacies. That's just common sense.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:06 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
That's just the way some really small towns are. I love small towns, but I don't think I'd live somewhere with a population of less than 1,000. It can become really insular.
I have had bad experiences with small towns. I think moving to a small town during middle school made me kind of jaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota