Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,898 times

Advertisements

Hello People, I'm a starving builder in Ky hoping to get on in ND. I can do most anything in construction, but have no experience related to oil work. I'm probably gonna load up and take my chances though. I'm wondering if you could keep a small dog in a man camp. Also do they have cafeterias? How much are meals and what do you think the is the least you could possibly live on per month would be? If I go I want to save as much as I possibly can Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,369 times
Consider Minot or Bismarck. Both are in construction booms and have better availability of housing. A number of smaller towns in the periphery of the Bakken may also offer housing.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:01 PM

581 posts, read 2,214,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0119jcashen View Post
Hello People, I'm a starving builder in Ky hoping to get on in ND. I can do most anything in construction, but have no experience related to oil work. I'm probably gonna load up and take my chances though. I'm wondering if you could keep a small dog in a man camp. Also do they have cafeterias? How much are meals and what do you think the is the least you could possibly live on per month would be? If I go I want to save as much as I possibly can Thanks for any help!
Mancamps cost $90-$150 per night. They are not for people coming up to look for work they are for companies that want housing for their employees. Find a job first. Most supply housing. The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More! look towards the back. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 PM

581 posts, read 2,214,839 times
And yes, most have cafeterias. No they do not allow dogs. I love dogs but they will not be given their needed attention if you are working in the patch. Some trucking companies will let the dogs ride in trucks but your dog will be better off staying home with someone and not coming to ND. The very few rentals there are, most will not allow dogs.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:50 PM

454 posts, read 939,980 times
Please don't consider Minot for housing - some of the city's residents are still in the Red Cross shelter and others are in tents due to the flood that happened back in June of this year. Some that are in hotels will soon have to leave their hotel rooms due to conventions and the Norsk Hostfest. There are very few homes for sale, and many homes that are for sale were flooded, apartments are non-existent and those that do come open are snatched up by the first person who gets a chance to look at it. The rent on apartments is sky high and most leases are month to month. There isn't much west of Minot at this time either.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM

79 posts, read 193,975 times
I have a couple of questions regarding housing.
When you are hired by a Company and that company provides Housing is there a Cost for that Housing if so what is the average?
Is this Dormitory Housing if so are there other people sleeping in your Bed while you are on duty?
With Company provided Housing is there also a Cafeteria as well?
If a Cafeteria is provided what does the average meal Cost?

Any and all advice is greatly apprciated.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:54 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,102 times
Default Grunts v professionals

The questions to your questions will vary from company to company. Some companies charge for food but others will not. The only people in the camps paying for their own spot in the camp are contractors. Company employees in the camps never pay for their spot, from what I have heard and experienced.

Most floor hands or general labor will have to bunk dorm style with hopefully only one other person. I have heard of people having to share a room with three or four others. If you are a professional (engineer, geologist, manager, supervisor), they will have a room to themselves. To be honest, would you want to share a room with your boss?

Rooms with cafeteria meals usually run over 150 a night but can go as high as 200 depending on the food and how many people are in camp. The smaller the camp, the higher the food charge. It will also depend on how many companies are in the camp. Some camps are shared between companies or are filled with a company's contractors.

I have not heard of any camp allowing public alcohol use. Most companies are shy of providing an onsite lounge due to the legal liabilities of serving someone too much booze and allowing so much roughhousing. In most camps, throw a punch and they throw you and your "buddy" out. They can find someone else who won't fight over who ate the last of the pringles or which stripper is "purdier".

Old 12-07-2011, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 15,141 times
I was told about the oil field jobs by a friend who's nephew is working in Minot. I'm interested in applying however...I am a woman and so far the info I have read tells me there are not too many, if any, women working in the fields. Can anyone expand on this? Any knowledge about women working in the oil fields?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:45 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeplessontheradio View Post
I was told about the oil field jobs by a friend who's nephew is working in Minot. I'm interested in applying however...I am a woman and so far the info I have read tells me there are not too many, if any, women working in the fields. Can anyone expand on this? Any knowledge about women working in the oil fields?
I would start here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...williston.html

Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 AM

52 posts, read 174,938 times
good q sleepless -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota