Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 07:17 PM

43 posts, read 362,241 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to N.D. I have a wife of 20 yrs. and 3 great, athletic kids. 2 in H.S. freshman and junior, one going in 7th grade. All are great athletes here in Calif, but can't stand it here. Been here all my life, but just so tired of the blistering pace. We are an outdoors family, and hunt like crazy, fish, camp, and love the outdoors.

I have been an electrician for 28+ years, have done alot of different work; City work, county work, union work,etc. I realize that there is licensing requirements for N.D, S.D. and so on, but can a guy find work until testing is complete.

I have also worked as a hunting guide, and owned my own hunting guide business for 15 years, and would be willing to do part time guiding work too.
My older son, (15) is a 3 sport athlete here, football, basketball, baseball, and is considered the top sophomore athlete in our area. My 14 year old daughter, is a basketball and softball player, and will be a freshman this year. My youngest son, (12) is also a 3 sport athlete, and is also a great wrestler.

Any suggestions or help would be great, or any phone numbers to reputable electrical companies would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:01 AM

231 posts, read 736,689 times
I don't know how I feel about the electricians' union, but they would be a good source of information that is specific to you. IBEW Local 134 - Chicago

Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,006,048 times
Hi

You should probably check this website out (ND State Electrical Board) for licensing info or a contact to check it out.

https://www.ndseb.com/?id=1

I am not in the electrician field of work....so can't help you too much. I do know some jobs are advertised through job services of north dakota. This is what is listed for in the bismarck-mandan area. I couldnt save the listings for just electricians. So click on advanced search at top of page.

http://www.ndworkforceconnection.com...=&zip=&radius=

I know locally...Bergstrom Electric is a well known one. They have offices in several cities in eastern North Dakota.
Bergstrom Electric, Inc. - Your Home For All Your Electrical Needs

Also there are electric cooperatives which serve many rural areas of the state such as NODAK in the east....and many others in the west and central parts of the state

electric cooperatives north dakota - Google Search

Most of the larger school districts offer all the sport mentioned. Bismarck and Fargo being the larger school districts would have the best wrestling programs in high school. As you would imagine...in the east part of the state hockey is quite big. Bismarck as two HS....Fargo...3 (newest one opening in the fall)...Grand Forks...two...and Minot 2 (one public one catholic). Each may co-op with another school for some sports programs.

As for hunting guides the central and west parts of the state are excelleing water fowl and other hunting areas with some of the best waterfowl hunting in the world in the pothole region of the state from the jamestown area up through devils lake. Devils Lake ND with the large lake nearby has excellent fishing and fishing guide services.

As for weather....for less severe winters the farther south and west you are the better. Bismarck to Dickinson often can get agove freezing in the winter months....though the past couple have been a bit colder and snowier than normal in that part of the state. Below zero readings are more frequent east of the Missouri River.

I hope this helps some

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:12 PM

26 posts, read 102,667 times
Check out the jobs tab at Home - Basin Electric Power Cooperative

Old 07-06-2010, 07:09 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,384 times
A lot of the local electrical power companies are looking for electricians. I just had one person move from Fargo ND to Garrison to work at the local power company. Another good place to start is Job Service North Dakota for electrical work. Here in Minot we have a shortage of workers due to the oil people and I have to wait 2-3 weeks to get a electrician to my home.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,428 times
Sounds like you'd fit in well in Williston if you could find housing. Every electric company is hiring. To name a few...Earls Electric, Triangle Electric, Ebel Electric. Job Service North Dakota Oilfield wages are driving up all the wages in Williston and Minot. Some of the operating companies such as EOG Resources are hiring their own electricians and paying big bucks. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Thanks to everyone so far for their replies.

Did alot of searching today, looking at all the possibilities. Lots of work everywhere in the state, but I'm also really wanting good competitive sports for my kids. They are really exceptional athletes ( sorry that sounds bold) but they are very good at their sports.

Also, like I said, hunting is a big part of it aswell. we are a big hunting family, but love waterfowling. I know N.D. has alot to offer there, but would really like to hook up with a local guide, and give a hand, in trade for some hunting. I really liked the sound of Hope, N.D. but I thinking too far east, and doesnt' look like much for hunting. But I did like the Fargo H.S.

Also looks like I will have to take the N.D. state electrician's exam before I will get any work, so it may take awhile. Also, housing looks like a problem too. I looking for a small town with some property, 15-20 min. from work or so.

BTW- what do you folks do with your dogs in winter? I have hunting labs, and never been in really cold weather.

Thanks, Steve

Old 07-06-2010, 10:12 PM

how hard is it to find housing in these towns? Minot, Williston, Bismark. Also is there any chance of finding acrerage with a shop?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:17 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,006,048 times
Hi

I gathered a list of links via the ND High School association website regarding which schools have wrestling....girls softball and boys baseball. Football and basketball are widespread. Problem you might come up with is finding a place outside of a town/city and still being in their school district.

North Dakota High School Activities Association (http://www.ndhsaa.org/athletics/wrestling/wrestling_teams - broken link)

North Dakota High School Activities Association (http://www.ndhsaa.org/athletics/girls_softball/girls_softball_teams - broken link)

North Dakota High School Activities Association (http://www.ndhsaa.org/athletics/baseball/baseball_teams - broken link)

Now for your second post....there have been many posts about Williston housing which you can review for more specifics. But in general housing is much harder to find there...even outside of town as many of the small towns around Williston have been experiencing the oil boom and housing is tight.

My wife is from Minot and we have relatives there and visit often. Minot is a nice town and growing too with more personnel moving to the air force base and they are seeing some effects of the oil boom. Housing in Minot is pretty tight too and prices have held their own or increased lately. There is a resident Minot poster who can give more info...

Bismarck and that area I feel might be your best choice. Bismarck has been growing a lot too...but housing may also be catching up to the growth and be a bit more plentiful even outside of town. I know very little about the area housing wide outside of town, but it is probably worth contacting a realtor in the area to see. Also be sure to check school district boundaries but their school district boundaries go out quite far to the north....east and southeast to include much rural land with homes. Bismarck has two high schools Century and Bismarck High

http://www.bismarck.k12.nd.us/uploads/resources/1239/bismarckschooldistrict.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 AM

431 posts, read 1,606,384 times
look up Williston on the Internet and ontheir home page, you will find the local Reators for housing. None of them are national brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota