Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:05 PM

203 posts, read 600,630 times

Advertisements

Hola, looks like the Minot move is progressing. We'll likely be in a hotel for 1-2 months while house hunting, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations. Ideally, the place would have a passable gym, and allow dogs. So far I'm considering the Grand International and Holiday Inn. I have a slight preference for the Holiday Inn because we could earn a buttload of points for free nights when we travel. Any opinions or caveats? Which one has the more complete gym?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,960,791 times
I have quite a few relatives in Minot.... but havent stayed in a hotel there so unfortunately cannot comment on exercise rooms, etc from one place to another.

But I did want to point out the Sleep Inn right near the mall. From other posts I did not know if you have kids...but if you did a large indoor waterpark with waterslides, etc is attached to the sleep inn.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 PM

979 posts, read 3,660,951 times
What's nice about the Sleep Inn is it is actually attached to the mall. So you have internal access from the hotel, right into the mall. Good for mall walking (exercise) movie theaters, shopping, etc... probably earn some kind of points with the "choice hotels" chain which includes sleep in, comfort in, clarion, comfort suites, etc...

Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 PM

160 posts, read 1,159,811 times
My recommendation would be the International Inn. If you have family/kids, this place has a HUGE pool area. Lots of room for running around, playing, a little arcade, (not sure about a gym, but I'm sure something is there) and there are poolside rooms so that you could have a table and chairs right outside your room for a little extra space with the pool right there. Food is allowed in this area too. In fact it's a very popular birthday party place. We spent many Holidays there when kids were little as Minot is the midpoint and elderly relativesin Minot that can't travel. Bring a soccer ball, Frisbee, and swimming gear! There is a restaurant and two bars. Bowling is just down the street. And beautiful views of the city.

We tried the Sleep Inn one year. Yes, the mall is there. But we didn't like that the rooms and pool are separate from each other and there wasn't a good common area to gather and just visit or hang out. Food is only allowed in a balconey area at the Sleep Inn pool area. The pool area is separate from rooms and limited space for families to sit and visit while kids play and it's very loud with the water slide stuff.

Just my 2 cents!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 PM

Saw that hotel, but am not certain I want some place that barebones for 1-2 month stay. Comfort Inns, etc... are fine when all I need is a bed, but the ones I've stayed in aren't enticing for an extended stay. I realize I won't find a Hilton, Marriott, or Four Seasons, but the Holiday Inn/Grand International seem a bit more liveable.

Damn, between looking for classical radio, private schools, a Volvo repairman, a decent hotel, I'm beginning to sound like an effin yuppie scumbag. While I'm at it, what's the best wine/liquor store in town? Is there a place to play squash? Can I join the Junior League? Are there any trunk shows at the dept. stores? Where can I get the furs cleaned and stored? What about a nanny service?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 PM

160 posts, read 1,159,811 times
Oh!! So Sorry!!!! I meant the GRAND International Inn!!! Guess I didn't know they had another with the same name. Sorry!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM

431 posts, read 1,601,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertrev View Post
Saw that hotel, but am not certain I want some place that barebones for 1-2 month stay. Comfort Inns, etc... are fine when all I need is a bed, but the ones I've stayed in aren't enticing for an extended stay. I realize I won't find a Hilton, Marriott, or Four Seasons, but the Holiday Inn/Grand International seem a bit more liveable.

Damn, between looking for classical radio, private schools, a Volvo repairman, a decent hotel, I'm beginning to sound like an effin yuppie scumbag. While I'm at it, what's the best wine/liquor store in town? Is there a place to play squash? Can I join the Junior League? Are there any trunk shows at the dept. stores? Where can I get the furs cleaned and stored? What about a nanny service?

At the YMCA, you can play squash and racquetball. Membership fees are very competitive. As for wine/liquor, most of our grocery stores have these items and once a year, both MarketPlace and MiracleMart will hold wine tasteing events and allow you to purchase at a smaller rate during the show. Junior league of what, baseball, softball, soccer, we have them all. Not sure what you mean by trunk shows. Nanny service might be a little harder. you would want to advertise for that. Furs can be cleaned at our local cleaners.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Thanks. The latter half of my post was me poking humor at my previous requests for yuppie scumbag items.
Will certainly look at the Y or maybe the Minot State gym.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 15,283 times
What about ice hockey? Is there a NAHL team in Minot? Surely MSU has a team.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:31 PM

431 posts, read 1,601,219 times
One thing about the Holiday Inn, you are across the street from the fair grounds. If you are for the Fair, make sure you have reservations. During the fair, you can just walk across the street. International Inn is located on the north end of town and has easy access to the base. Both are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota