Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,439 times

Advertisements

Although I grew up on a farm in North Dakota, I've lived in California for many years. Now that I'm retired and planning to move to Bismarck, I have some probably dumb questions.

I would prefer a single-family home or townhouse/twin home to a condo except that in a condo the yard work and snow clearing would be done for me. How are snow clearance and other maintenance tasks handled in a "twin home"? Would I pay a HOA a monthly fee, the same as if I were in a condo?

If I buy a stand-alone home, are there outdoor yard maintenance and snow removal services in Bismarck with whom I could contract so that they would come regularly and take care of things or would I be on my own? I know that the law requires snow to be removed from sidewalks within 24 hours of the snowfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
Although I grew up on a farm in North Dakota, I've lived in California for many years. Now that I'm retired and planning to move to Bismarck, I have some probably dumb questions.

I would prefer a single-family home or townhouse/twin home to a condo except that in a condo the yard work and snow clearing would be done for me. How are snow clearance and other maintenance tasks handled in a "twin home"? Would I pay a HOA a monthly fee, the same as if I were in a condo?

If I buy a stand-alone home, are there outdoor yard maintenance and snow removal services in Bismarck with whom I could contract so that they would come regularly and take care of things or would I be on my own? I know that the law requires snow to be removed from sidewalks within 24 hours of the snowfall.
I will answer this in case no one else gets a chance too. I live in the Grand Forks area...and there are lots of snow removal and lawn care companies you can use for maintenance. Not familiar with Bismarck I dont have recommendations of any specific company.....but you can call up the yellow pages or do a search.

You could either sign up for one flat fee...which includes snow removal on sidewalk (if you have one) and drive way for any snowfall over xx amount of inches (the amount may vary from company to company). Most snow removal companies are the same ones who handle summer yard work and that again you can sign up for a flat fee and they will mow every week or xx number of days. We have also just used snow removal people for only big events....but you would be gotten too once the regular customers are taken care of.

Now.... my experience is that for twin homes (two side by side homes), you have to take care of your part of the lawn and driveway yourself. For the larger townhouse complexes with maybe 4 or 6 grouped together....then you have your monthly fee for exterior maintenance funded through a HOA.

-- Dan

Old 06-04-2010, 05:17 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,439 times
Dan, I appreciate your answering my questions. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota