Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runner55 View Post
That doesn't sound so bad. Here in the South, we have been known to get a couple good snowfalls ourselves. The problem is we are not prepared for it. Just this past year progress has been made for helping make the roads safer- due to SO MANY accidents. People think they can drive in it and really cannot. I think I actually saw a salt truck, or maybe sand- not sure, this past winter, and a grader! Whoo hoo! Our problem is the little bit of snow usually turns to ice here and then the people that can't drive in it usually do and definitely go way too fast. Crunch!
Our winters are a little milder than yours from what you said, but not by too much. I think I can deal with it- I'll keep my "Big girl panties" close by just in case
My part of Virginia had THREE blizzards this winter, each dropping roughly 20 inches of snow (and two of those were in the same week!) I know what you mean when you say they're not prepared for it down here. I was off work for a week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:37 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times
I have been in Maryland when 2 inches shut down whole areas.. I thought it was pretty comical!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM

19 posts, read 46,146 times
So you guys know what it's like

You are giving me a positive take on all of this and I sure thank you for that!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 9,206 times
Hi,

I just moved from Austin, Texas to Wilkes Barre a week ago (You may be able to find my other thread on this forum asking about an apartment in Edwardsville).

My impression so far of Wilkes Barre (especially in comparison to Austin) - please bear in mind its only been a week or so, and I've been busy.. I may have missed a lot -

1.) Small, crappy roads with holes all over the place. Worse, the freaking road naming seems to make absolutely no freaking sense so far.....I swear it looks like they call like 5 different roads "highway 309". Crappy road signs too.
2.) Generally "run down"/shady areas all over WB. Literally the only "upscale" area seems to be the city square in the middle of downtown. But move just two blocks down, and you're back to some shady looking areas with abandoned buildings and such. I would not go around walking/jogging at night anywhere in this area. The two areas that seem to be semi - decent so far are commercial areas around the mall area and another road called Wyoming avenue.
3.) On a positive note, I had to run an errand through downtown Scranton - and that downtown seems (at first glace at least) significantly nicer.
4.) WilkesBarre/Scranton "International" (hah!) Airport is a joke - fairly clean though.
5.) On another positive note, the people seem very nice.

Driving down to Philadelphia the other day was something of a relief - felt like a return to civilization - the other extreme though - freaking hotel downtown charged me 66 dollars for 40 hours of parking. Downtown Philly is extremely nice though.

Take that for what its worth - going to be interesting living here. *sigh*

Old 06-15-2010, 07:11 AM

19 posts, read 46,146 times
Wow tnsply100... I have heard several positive comments about Wilkes-Barre but none have mentioned the roads or the safety. Doesn't sound like a good move if you are afraid to go out at night. I live in a small southern town and although I don't usually go out at night, I wouldn't fear doing so. I have always wanted to visit Austin! Pictures are fantastic- but so are many pictures of NEPA. Maybe it just needs a little getting used to? Nice to hear the people are friendly and you enjoyed your trip to Philly- other than the parking, of course. I haven't stayed in too many big cities but any time I have, I don't think I was charged by my hotels for parking, even in NYC. Maybe it was included in the bill and I just didn't recognize it separately- hmmmm.... It has been awhile... I've been out of the loop down here - guess times they are a changin'. Hope things get better for you!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 PM

268 posts, read 374,502 times
Summers are usually warm in the 70s and 80s. Not many go over 90 but it happens from time to time. You might actually like the summers up here because it has less intense heat but still warm enough to go swimming. We also don't get a lot of intense rainfall like the South does either. Fall and spring are nice too. In winter, you will probably need to get yourself a natural light lamp because the sky will depress you. Hardly any sun. Gray and cloudy for 4 months straight.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
4runner55, my husband and I moved from the South to NEPA in 2002. We had to leave because of a transfer back to the South. You said you were from Florida??? I moved from Memphis to outside of Milford. My husband moved from MS. That's the background to give you my thoughts.

First, from our perspective taxes are NOT cheap. Compared to NY & NJ, yes. Compared to TN & MS, no. We paid over $3500 in taxes a year for a .6 acre plot in an average area. Back in TN $1000 for a 4.6 acre spread with a barn & pond. I'm just saying. Perspective.

Second, the roads up there, compared to what I was used to, are pretty atrocious. It's due to the winter weather, I think. You get used to it.

Third, you get used to the cold. Make sure you have more than one energy source. A lot of people only have electric. We bought a kerosene heater for $100, and it was the best thing we ever bought. When the power goes out, you have to have some kind of heat. In addition, buy a pair of lined pants and a wool coat. Make sure you have comfy mittens and a hat. You'll be just fine.

Fourth, in the Pike/Monroe County area, you should make sure you have a job prior to moving. The market is quite soft there. Can't speak for the other counties.

Finally, mike02 suggested a natural light lamp. I'd say if you're from south FL, this might be handy. We didn't need one, and I was never particularly depressed. However, that's a person-to-person thing.

It was a culture shock for sure. I was raised in rural MS so you might can imagine . . . . Our first trip to the grocery store, a woman hit me with her cart and kept walking like nothing happened. I cried my eyes out, telling my husband that people here were evil and hateful with no respect. I got over it. I'm a little rude and abrupt to folks down here now. I really miss PA - the snow, the proximity to the cities, our friends. Wonderful people, wonderful times.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:58 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Quote:
First, from our perspective taxes are NOT cheap. Compared to NY & NJ, yes. Compared to TN & MS, no. We paid over $3500 in taxes a year for a .6 acre plot in an average area. Back in TN $1000 for a 4.6 acre spread with a barn & pond. I'm just saying. Perspective.
I thought there was no school tax in Tennessee. I do know that here, approx. 75% of your total tax is school tax.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:05 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
We have to pay taxes for our schools via property taxes. TN doesn't have state income tax.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Ahhhh. I thought for some reason there was no school tax. Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania