Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:39 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
^ True to a certain extent. We don't know if this person has young children who will need daycare/babysitting.

I know when my children were too little to be left alone, it did not make sense for me to get a job because the only jobs I could get/qualify for would not pay enough to cover the cost of daycare, let alone pay any bills. It would have been spinning my wheels. We just adapted and learned to live on just my husband's income. Some do not have that option. Some did not have the benefit of a low interest mortgage, etc.

The first year I was in real estate, almost all of my income, after paying my fees/car expenses etc. went to my babysitter - who was CHEAP! She gave me a DEAL because she was my friend. I had only a little money left over - I stuck with that because the potential of making more money the next year was definitely there, plus the kids would no longer need babysitting in the future....

I was only able to do this because my husband still had income - and by that time we had paid off our mortgage.

It's not as simple as it sounds...too bad it weren't as easy as just looking for a job.

I hear ya , I built a Pizza place for my ex wife ( when we were married ) we also had 3 kids who were young at the time , we were paying $300 a week for daycare .. Plus I was working and holding down the bills for the house and whatnot ,, It is a tough world , But You have to always be 1 step ahead of the game . Im retired and still take on side jobs ,

Ive hired helpers and out of 10 grown men 2 were worth keeping .. Ive found that just like in NYC ,People here rather collect free money then go out and WORK for it ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
You will get more extensions, why do you think that you will not get anymore? Just keep signing for the unemployment.
I don't think I will get anymore extensions only because I haven't seen anything in the news or on the website extending beyond June 5th for the next phase I would be eligible for.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I hear ya , I built a Pizza place for my ex wife ( when we were married ) we also had 3 kids who were young at the time , we were paying $300 a week for daycare .. Plus I was working and holding down the bills for the house and whatnot ,, It is a tough world , But You have to always be 1 step ahead of the game . Im retired and still take on side jobs ,

Ive hired helpers and out of 10 grown men 2 were worth keeping .. Ive found that just like in NYC ,People here rather collect free money then go out and WORK for it ..
I beg to differ with you in reference to not wanting to WORK, I have been working non stop since I was in High School, this is the first time in 25 years that I have been unemployed, as of the last year I was working two jobs, one full time and one part time to make ends meet. Because of the economy I was laid off from both of them. I am not a slacker. Since I have been laid off I have been applying for jobs with no luck. The small town I live in does not offer you a lot of opportunities. I was looking for support not criticism.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:03 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice4320 View Post
I beg to differ with you in reference to not wanting to WORK, I have been working non stop since I was in High School, this is the first time in 25 years that I have been unemployed, as of the last year I was working two jobs, one full time and one part time to make ends meet. Because of the economy I was laid off from both of them. I am not a slacker. Since I have been laid off I have been applying for jobs with no luck. The small town I live in does not offer you a lot of opportunities. I was looking for support not criticism.
You shouldnt have to explain yourself! You asked a question and unfortunately you were given more then you asked for. This is the way it is here, again unfortunately. You have many that never think about the other person, only their own lives and think everyone is fortunate to have what they have. Its a shame people cannot think out of their own little worlds!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:57 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice4320 View Post
My unemployment benefits (26 weeks UC) will expire the end of July. I've been on the look out for any extensions that will be offered but I don't see anything beyond June 2, 2010. I was laid off in January and as of yet have not been able to find work in my field. Does anyone have any information about extensions they will be granting? I'm really nervous that my time for receiving benefits will end soon and I can't find work. I am a single mom with a house and car payment all the other household bills we all struggle with, in addition I have my 20 yr old daughter living with me who is only able to work part time due to health conditions. Any advice on where to run if the benefits run out and I can't find work?

From what I have read, the OP has NO interest in "selling her eggs". If you have any legitimate suggestions besides that, please post.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:03 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Is it OK to giggle at a moderator's comment? LOL

Thanks, TBTD!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:12 AM

Dont sweat it .. The taxpayers will cover it ..

Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM

13 posts, read 34,155 times
Hey Alice, clearly Riverside is one of those individuals who has had greater opportunities in life. He has no clue whatsoever what hard knocks are about. Pay him no mind. My sister and I like to joke that we were born with plastic spoons in our mouths. I know what rough times are like.
Anyway, I haven't read anything about extensions on the benefits either. Sorry. Finding a job, however, is going to be exceptionally difficult.
Earlier this year, with a broken down car, then the loss of my job, I got a bus schedule and hoofed the 1.5 miles to the nearest stop. I applied at every minimum wage place along the bus route. F.Y.I. I hadn't worked at that job long enough to qualify for benefits. At every place I went to, I'd ask if they were hiring. Either the clerk or the manager would snicker and say, "Are you kidding me? My hours have gotten cut." And this is for jobs with a weekly take home of roughly $260, after taxes, if you're lucky enough to get full time.
The good news is, I figured out that my handwriting is actually beautiful. For $40, I printed up 100 business cards and advertised calligraphy services. It's not a whole lot of money, but it's getting me by until something opens up!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the post, I appreciate it. It's always humbling to hear from someone else that is in the same position, it's a wake up call that your situation is not as bad as the next persons.You found your creative side and I hope this blossoms into something big for you.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:34 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Internet police are funny folks ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania