Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I never shopped at Walmart......try again. I also walk/ride a bicycle and/or take a bus to work. Each of us can change "things" in their own small way, rather than complaining constantly..

It is the "attitude" of Scrantonians....IMHO....that holds the area back. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre has a dearth of Universities, cultural and natural amenities, dedicated "blue-collar" work force, etc.....just like Allentown/Bethelem....yet that area is booming! They are embracing change.....that is the KEY to the area's success.....not shunning change and new ideas. .
I'm not complaining about Walmart, i love it, my knees are done and nothing will help them but surgery, so walking at this point is out and honestly, i'm not about to start taking a bus, which entails alot of walking and waiting. Hey, i'm up for change, but Scranton isn't changing, jobs are leaving, it's been this way for years now, i'm not seeing it improving one little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
There aren't many places around here to go get everything you need, i'd be running around all day. I think Walmart is very convenient and i'm not taking the blame for jobs going overseas because we shop at Walmart. Walmart even has prescriptions for $4.00, that cost alot more anywhere else, i think that's convenient.

I'm not arguing that Big Box stores are less convenient or cheaper. They most certainly are.

But you cannot deny the impact that consumers have on small business closings and labor jobs going overseas. We can't have our cake and eat it too, ya know?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I might do that if that if it was convenient, but it's not and there isn't a whole lot around here to get everything you need. There are no deli's to go to, no bakeries for bread, i've tried the bakery in Scranton, and it sucks, i can't think of the name of it now. I go to Rite-Aide for my prescriptions, they are convenient as well and very nice and helpful. About the only thing i really don't buy at Wal-mart for myself is clothes other than socks and things of that nature. I just don't see a whole lot of mom and pop stores in the area. I don't buy meat at Walmart and i do try to get produce at stands in the summer, they don't even have many of those around here.

I don't live in Scranton, so I don't know the small businesses in that area. But I frequent Boscov's for clothes and such. Hillside Farms for meat and milk. The Medicine Shoppe for prescriptions, etc. Oh and if you are ever down this way check out Sanitary Bakery in Nanticoke. They are simply awesome. We got out wedding cake from there. Yum!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I never shopped at Walmart......try again. I also walk/ride a bicycle and/or take a bus to work. Each of us can change "things" in their own small way, rather than complaining constantly..

It is the "attitude" of Scrantonians....IMHO....that holds the area back. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre has a dearth of Universities, cultural and natural amenities, dedicated "blue-collar" work force, etc.....just like Allentown/Bethelem....yet that area is booming! They are embracing change.....that is the KEY to the area's success.....not shunning change and new ideas. .

I agree. My husband and I like convenience and ease just as much as the next person. Who wouldn't?

But we have made a concerted effort to scale back and make decisions to support our neighbors, community and local businesses. Yes, it does entail more "running around" some days but it actually works out to be nice times with our family.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:21 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,001 times
I try to avoid Walmart as much as possible. I do shop at the local store in Hawley (my hometown) most of the time even though it's more expensive. To me the headache of shopping at Walmart is not worth the savings!

Unfortunately, the camel's nose got in the tent a long long time ago - the entire camel is in the tent and the little guys are the ones squeezed out. There is little we can do except help them to hang in there as long as we can.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Look Scran,
Scrantons population and the surrounding area is turning older every year, there simply isnt the # of local kids there were 10 or 20 years ago..
Let me correct your short sightedness on another point. If major white collar employers wanted to move here they have an ample educated workforce to draw from, in this small area we have the University of Scranton, Marywood, Johnsons, Keystone, Lackawanna, Wilkes, KIngs, Etc, that are graduating hundreds idf not thousands of young degreed people each year.. so your arguement of a "educated" workforce doesnt hold water. this area is held back not by lack of qualified people, but by a corrupt political climate and opressive business taxes. nothing more, nothing less
Now we have yet another Bash Walmart and the People Who Shop There thread...

Put simply, people shop at Walmart because the low-paying jobs in the area make it impossible to afford anything else.

Read carefully John Q's assessment...Plenty of educated people who attend the many colleges here and leave because there are no businesses/industries that could utilize their talents - other forces are in play that make the area unattractive to corporate decisions to locate here...

Let me point out to Paul that the area where he is now living is an extremely white-collar, affluent, cost-inflated area, about which he complains frequently in the NoVA forum condemning the high price of real estate, the display of wealth in designer clothes and Mercedes and snobby little boites, and yet he wants to turn Scranton into that very kind of town...A town in which he can't afford to live despite the salary he earns by virtue of his college degree...

I truly believe that Scranton is in a period of transition...When I lived there 35 years ago, you wouldn't want to live anywhere else...I have watched the decline with sadness that such a thing could happen...The current administration, along with the newspaper, treat the city residents like the robber barons of old...That whole patronizing, paternal "we-know-what's-best-for-you" attitude...Scranton's turn will come...I don't know that I'll live to see it, but it will come...Just like Pittsburgh, and Bethlehem, and countless other cities that have re-invented themselves, it will come.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
According to this //www.city-data.com/city/Scrant...nsylvania.html The average age in Scranton is 38, which is also the average age in Pennsylvania. Bethlehem's is 36. //www.city-data.com/city/Bethle...nsylvania.html I doubt that Scranton has a corner on the market for corrupt politicians. That seems to be the norm in PA. From today's Philadelphia Inquirer More Pennsylvania corruption trials may follow Veon's conviction | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/20/2010
Toobusy
Dont believe everything you read. next time your here look around the malls, restaurants churches etc the average age in this area is much older than 38. Pennsylvania as a whole is right behind Florida in a aging population..
I had a Professor long ago who always said figures dont lie, but liars figure. For any given topic depending on which way you lean , you can always find stats to support your side. I have always found observation and a little investigative research always trumps someone elses stats
As for cornering corruption you only need to google Luzerne county, and very soon Lackawanna county to see the vast number of politicians and their supporters going to jail.. possibly the rest of the state just hasnt been visited by the Feds yet..

Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 AM

As for Scrans position that NOVA is booming, sure it is .. but take away all of the Govt. jobs and the supporting ones, NOVA would be another Scranton... Location, Location, Location...

Old 06-21-2010, 07:08 AM

Question to the room,
Why cant I give ANYONE rep points?? I keep getting spread some around.. even to those I have never rep'd before??

Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
As for Scrans position that NOVA is booming, sure it is .. but take away all of the Govt. jobs and the supporting ones, NOVA would be another Scranton... Location, Location, Location...
Exactly why Harrisburg always has a better economy than Scranton....lots of state jobs, which are much more stable than private sector jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania