Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

VB,

I am confident in my knowledge of discrimination law. Period.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:25 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,988 times
My take, once a broker is involved in selling a private home all FHA non-discrimination laws apply. That said, I don't see anything wrt the OP's experience that suggests they were discriminated against due to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap.

Mod cut, offensive

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-13-2010 at 08:56 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 02:34 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,751 times
There are no federal based restrictions on a single family dwelling.

Now, if there were any "perceived" violations against the Pa. Ethics Code, I would venture to bet that the broker would have refused to represent the seller to protect their license.

Since neither the broker or owner advertised that the seller was limiting the potential purchasers to factors based on any of the protected classes under the FHA guidelines, no harm, no foul.
The owner was intent on selling to "locals" which does not necessarily exclude any of the protected classes.

I'm surprised the the OP did not seek legal remedy for the undue harm based on her convuluted claims of discriminatory practices of the realtor,property owner, local Police dept and anti-Obamma reckless driver... LMAO..

Old 09-13-2010, 02:58 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster
you forgot to list the exclusions of the FHA laws...

I love how you purposely omit FACTS in an attempt to prevent yourself from looking foolish..

I will await your response in the West Pittston thread where you ADMIT THAT YOU ARE WRONG !!!

I am not wrong. You cannot, CANNOT discriminate for arbitrary reasons - country and/or state of origin is arbitrary. If a LL was sued for discrimination based on this, the prospective buyer/renter would win.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Magritte is very well versed in housing laws as well as other issues.
I am not prepared to admit anything You should be horrified by what happened to us! YOU just don't get it at all.
If you really were so patriotic, you would find what happened to my family and me to be offensive.
You would defend my right to enter any state in the Union with out a passport or papers of any sort.
The Constitution does.
I was not applying for an FHA mortgage. I had the funds and pristine credit.
I am guessing that you are a fan a free enterprise, as am I.
I find it so hard to believe that anyone can celebrate vehicular menacing and discrimination and be proud of those facts.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
I've tried to edit this thread a little bit so as not to totally hi-jack it from Sheena's OP. My take is that both Magritte and Varmintblaster know their housing laws but are interpreting them differently. Here's the TOS tidbit that I think may be of help. //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued
Also -
Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Toobusytoday:

To meet your copyright requirement - here is a link with a short extract from the FHA Act, which includes the EXEMPTIONS that I noted earlier.

http://real-estate.lawyers.com/resid...d-Leasing.html

Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Magritte is very well versed in housing laws as well as other issues.
I am not prepared to admit anything You should be horrified by what happened to us! YOU just don't get it at all.
If you really were so patriotic, you would find what happened to my family and me to be offensive.
You would defend my right to enter any state in the Union with out a passport or papers of any sort.
The Constitution does.
I was not applying for an FHA mortgage. I had the funds and pristine credit.
I am guessing that you are a fan a free enterprise, as am I.
I find it so hard to believe that anyone can celebrate vehicular menacing and discrimination and be proud of those facts.
Sheena - the fact that your post included a rant about the local cops driving by a couple of times (and your unsubstantiated assumption that a neighbor called them in response to your presense in the neighborhood) took away a great bit of credibility from the rest of your concerns.

I defend your right to travel between states in the Union, but that has absolutely nothing to do with real estate transactions or an isolated traffic incident.

Heck, I feel that my rights to unfretted travel are violated every time I get on the turnpike and travel to Phila, but I don't cry about it and bemoan everyone that lives in the area..

I am a fan of free enterprise, and the link I supplied to the FHA act list discriminatory practices and the EXEMPTIONS to which they do not apply.

Simply put, an owner of a single family dwelling has every right to limit potential purchasers to locals.

Just because I pointed out the LAW, does not mean I celebrate discrimination. The law is the law.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
My take, once a broker is involved in selling a private home all FHA non-discrimination laws apply. That said, I don't see anything wrt the OP's experience that suggests they were discriminated against due to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap.

Mod cut, offensive
Nearly half the OP's post on her experience is given to presenting her belief that some driver cut her off due to Obama bumper stickers and how sad it was that the guy had two american flags on his pick-up. Fact is, putting political stickers on one's vehicle is going to draw a response from some yahoos; regardless of how offensive someone finds my tongue-in-cheek comment.

I read the entire thread from the first post and it was nothing but unsubstantiated mud thrown out toward the people of West Pittston based on a police car professionally checking on a parked out-of-town vehicle filled with occupants (who are a mixed religious background - for whatever purpose that was stated other than to further stoke and inflame), a seller who has a local buyer and one rude driver (and we really don't know who that was.)

Thank goodness in the US a private individual can still sell or transfer his personal, private property to whomever he desires and for whatever reason he chooses.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
My understanding is that a seller can refuse an offer simply because they 'changed their mind' or just 'don't feel good about it' or hundreds of other reasons. Just because they have listed the property they do not have to accept an offer, even if it is 'full price' with no contingencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania