Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 03:53 PM

183 posts, read 1,263,370 times

Advertisements

How cold does the Scranton-WilkesBarre area get. Do you have a lot of snow in the winter months? I was raised in NJ but have spent 19 years of my adult life in Florida. We are going to relocate to PA in the next two years but dont know if I can take the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 04:29 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times
The weather in PA is not much different in the winter than NJ. Maybe sometimes a little more colder and maybe some more snow. Not that much though. I grew up on Long Island and I remember we had some big snow storms and some cold winters. But the NEPA winters aren' that much different.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:33 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,395 times
It can be a bit more snow and cold weather than NJ, but is probably only a bit worse. I think for gardening zones is is a cold 5 while NJ is usually a 6.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:19 PM

176 posts, read 650,676 times
Default NE PA winters

It can vary depending on a few factors, such as elevation. It's not uncommon for Scranton and the valley to have rain while higher elevations (like much of Wayne county) have snow, or for the Scranton area to get a few inches while the mountainous areas get hit hard.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the responses. It doesn't seem to bad.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post
It's really not all that bad. This past winter, overall, was tame and mild. We had an unusually warm early season in November and December, and all of our snow seemed to come from just three storms---one on Valentine's Day, one on St. Patrick's Day, and one in April. The Valentine's Day storm was one of the worst blizzards to hit our area over the past century, with some roads closed for more than 24 hours, stranding hundreds of motorists. Unlike the Blizzards of 1993, 1996 and Christmas Day a few years ago, all of which hit on either a weekend or holiday, this storm hit during a weekday rush-hour, and many local employers weren't heeding warnings to permit their employees to leave early. Fortunately, I work for Lowe's, and they were very understanding about me not coming into work during the blizzard this year, but even my own mother's employer was not too pleased with her (my father tele-commuted from home).

I work outside, and I can normally weather the weather with minimal difficulty. We're definitely cooler and snowier than NJ, but not by a whole lot. As someone else said, we're only one zone colder as far as planting is concerned.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Thanks ScrantonWilkes-Barre

Old 06-23-2007, 06:01 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post
dont let them sway you. We have really bad winters here. it is freezing and snowy all the time. coming from florida, no youre not gonna like it.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:26 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
dont let them sway you. We have really bad winters here. it is freezing and snowy all the time. coming from florida, no youre not gonna like it.
Ah........we are the same as Jersey really.
One time I got a call from my daughter in NJ and she said the snow was up to the Stop Signs........ I hardly believed it.........and she said she " was not kidding"......we.........however.........in the Pocono Mts. had a manageable amount. So ........
From what I know of NJ and living there half of my life.........and here.......in the Poconos.......thinking about storms that have swept our way.
Its probably a draw.....
Unless........your in that Blakeslee.........now they have snow everyday........and I really am pretty much not kiddin'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania