Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:21 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,038 times

Advertisements

Tobyhanna and neighboring Mt. Pocono have a very high crime rate for such small towns.
Most of the people there are transplants from NYC and/or Philadelphia and they brought
all their vices with them when they moved in.
You can google their newspaper "The Pocono Record" to get a better idea of what I mean.
About every other day there's a crime scene on the front page.
And the paper's archives are chock full of same.
I'd throw that dart again bud...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Builders advertise heavily in the NY metro area as do real estate agents and sellers. I suspect they must target other expensive suburban area as well looking for people who can not afford their dream house.
The homes while not lavish, look at least on paper and in pictures like McMansion type homes - a bit smaller but with those amenities many are seeking today - the "Holy Trinity of Suburban Homes" - jetted tubs, granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. You could add or substitute gas fire places, master suites, cathedral ceilings and an ornate chandelier illuminated behind an arched palladium window. There are many in Tobyhanna at a fraction of the cost of what they would be in any other suburb.And less expensive than most of the Poconos.
Several years ago we checked the area out. We were curious and wondered "how bad could it be?"
We wondered if some people were over reacting or if they had a problem because it was an integrated area. Since we did not care about that at all we took a drive.
It was not for us. To put it mildly.
I think that as long as the advertisement continues along with the new home fever, there will continue to be questions about Tobyhanna on this forum for a long time.
I guess the old saying that "you get what you pay for" applies here.
But thankfully, not every where.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,195,650 times
Fortunately my realtor steered me away from APCP. I will say though that I've been wondering about it. Is it still as bad as it was 2 or 3 years ago? When I search it seems that the stories are from 06, 07, and 08. Just wondering. It would be a great story if it could come back!

Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM

6 posts, read 20,277 times
I am also doing some research into the Pocono area. I currently live in Philadelphia and the area I live in was once a pretty nice area. Over the years, people from NY have bought houses in Philadelphia and then rented them at dirt cheap prices to people from the ghetto. And now they all have slowly but surely moved their way up and have ruined every area they move into, and it's especially with renters. Philadelphia was the #1 Murder capital for a few years. There was more murders than there were days. So needless to say I am ready to get out and have been looking at the Pocono area and when I see all the talk about crime I wonder...could it really be as bad as Philly? Are the people here not used to the same type of crime I am used to? But when I hear about drivebys, gangs, loud rap music -shudder- that's exactly what I'm trying to get away from!

I am looking for a quiet area where my house has some nice distance between mine and my neighbors'. I want to live around people who are employed. I want a safe area. I basically want land, quiet and safety. From what I've heard so far Saylorsburg and Brodheadsville are worth looking into. Also, Milford and Sciota. Any other suggestions??

Old 09-25-2010, 11:12 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ731 View Post
I am also doing some research into the Pocono area. I currently live in Philadelphia and the area I live in was once a pretty nice area. Over the years, people from NY have bought houses in Philadelphia and then rented them at dirt cheap prices to people from the ghetto. And now they all have slowly but surely moved their way up and have ruined every area they move into, and it's especially with renters. Philadelphia was the #1 Murder capital for a few years. There was more murders than there were days. So needless to say I am ready to get out and have been looking at the Pocono area and when I see all the talk about crime I wonder...could it really be as bad as Philly? Are the people here not used to the same type of crime I am used to? But when I hear about drivebys, gangs, loud rap music -shudder- that's exactly what I'm trying to get away from!

I am looking for a quiet area where my house has some nice distance between mine and my neighbors'. I want to live around people who are employed. I want a safe area. I basically want land, quiet and safety. From what I've heard so far Saylorsburg and Brodheadsville are worth looking into. Also, Milford and Sciota. Any other suggestions??

Buy a old farm ...

Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,195,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
Fortunately my realtor steered me away from APCP. I will say though that I've been wondering about it. Is it still as bad as it was 2 or 3 years ago? When I search it seems that the stories are from 06, 07, and 08. Just wondering. It would be a great story if it could come back!
i answered my own question by doing more reading. i'm glad i'm NOT buying a place in APCP

Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 AM

18 posts, read 39,626 times
Whenever you hear police sirens, that is where they are headed.

Ya beat me to it
I also live a few down the road for the past 15 yrs. and in the past couple a years have noticed sirens like never before all going "uptown" .
Also since Rosie sold the Lopsided---it has also went kinda "uptown' too .
It used to be so peaceful and quiet

Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron46 View Post
Whenever you hear police sirens, that is where they are headed.

Ya beat me to it
I also live a few down the road for the past 15 yrs. and in the past couple a years have noticed sirens like never before all going "uptown" .
Also since Rosie sold the Lopsided---it has also went kinda "uptown' too .
It used to be so peaceful and quiet

Rosie is a very awesome woman . I know her VERY WELL .. I could have gotten the bar and the land from her cheap , But I knew the area was heading downhill .. I was there when gunshots rang out a FEW times in my 20 yrs ,, I have not been there in Yrs ( since she sold it ) But Im sure you can score any drug in there ,, at least thats what Ive heard

Old 10-06-2010, 12:40 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,144 times
How about the Hideaway Bar off Rte 423?

I was in there once - seemed like a good-ole-boy kind of hangout a few years ago, no gang colors..unless you consider cammo a gang color ...LOL

How about the bar/hotel on the main street near Rte 611, I was contemplating a stop in there one day to rinse off some road dust, but decided against it.

Speaking of drug deals, I don't think you even have to set foot in a bar around there. I've witnessed a few transactions in the parking lot at Toby Lake while launching my boat...unless they were buying/selling small bread crumbs to feed the ducks...

Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
How about the Hideaway Bar off Rte 423?

I was in there once - seemed like a good-ole-boy kind of hangout a few years ago, no gang colors..unless you consider cammo a gang color ...LOL

How about the bar/hotel on the main street near Rte 611, I was contemplating a stop in there one day to rinse off some road dust, but decided against it.

Speaking of drug deals, I don't think you even have to set foot in a bar around there. I've witnessed a few transactions in the parking lot at Toby Lake while launching my boat...unless they were buying/selling small bread crumbs to feed the ducks...

You mean "" Bob's Hideaway ""

They sold it ,, Its named something else now , A chic named kathy owns it

Kueblers is still there as is The Brookside inn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania