Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times

Advertisements

I am not offended at all. I am just flabbergasted at the lengths RE agents will go to sell homes. I can name, off the top of my head 40 people of a class of 110 that have their BAs. I can name another 10 that have their Masters.

Meyers is simply the "go to" bad school right now. All three city high schools are exactly the same. Good kids, excellent kids, bad kids, horrible kids. We have kids from families who have lived in Wilkes-Barre since it's founding, we have kids from other countries and states.

I would say "anywhere but WVW" if someone asked me about area schools because I had a bad experience there. But does that mean it's really BAD? No. It means my opinion is biased.

As for your Uggs example, people said that back in the 90s if you wore LA Gear. Guess what? Total and complete lies. How would someone who lives in the Back Mountain area know what goes on in a city school? They don't. They go by rumor and urban legends - not reliable.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:34 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,752,146 times
I have no firsthand knowledge of WB schools, but the consensus from people I know is that Coughlin the more desirable of the 3 high schools.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I have no firsthand knowledge of WB schools, but the consensus from people I know is that Coughlin the more desirable of the 3 high schools.

I'm not attempting to dispute this, because as I said, all 3 city schools are the same.

But if you ever see the lovely crowd that hangs out after school on the Square during the school year, one would be hard pressed to call Coughlin students a more "desirable" crowd.

I'm just saying that all schools have good and bad elements. Even ones like Wyoming Sem and MMI.

I think most people who diss WB schools (a) don't live in WB, (b) never attended a WB area school and (c) need a reality check. WB isn't Compton, Newark or inner city Chicago. Not even close.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM

331 posts, read 635,830 times
My nephew goes to a Meyers elementary school and has been beaten up a few times, called a "*****" and hasn't had good luck with teachers. He's kind of a shy kid, but I never saw anything like that when I was in school (Tunkhannock).

Is that just how all the city schools are? It seems a little bizarre to me.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:51 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

But if you ever see the lovely crowd that hangs out after school on the Square during the school year, one would be hard pressed to call Coughlin students a more "desirable" crowd.

Like I said, I have no real knowledge of the schools, since I only work in WB...but this is what people I know from in and around WB seem to think. Yes, I agree, I've seen the Coughlin kids hanging around the square after school, and I've heard some bad language, but to be honest, I hear the same kind of language from the Holy Redeemer kids.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:08 PM

23,878 posts, read 32,156,993 times
That is so true about the language in some private parochial and Christian Schools!
Several years ago my husband was part time teacher for two years at a very very conservative Christian School - Our Savior New American School in Centereach NY. he taught 11th and 12th grade English. Most of the kids are from families that consider themselves to be born again Christians. He overheard them talking manytimes among themselves and they sounded like a bunch of rowdy sailors
on leave!
The next minute they would be praising god in chapel???
Very schizophrenic atmosphere.
They acted perfectly around their parents in whose eyes they could do no wrong., making teacher's conferences a bit awkward.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
My nephew goes to a Meyers elementary school and has been beaten up a few times, called a "*****" and hasn't had good luck with teachers. He's kind of a shy kid, but I never saw anything like that when I was in school (Tunkhannock).

Is that just how all the city schools are? It seems a little bizarre to me.

It seems bizarre that there is bullying in schools? I have nothing but great things to say about the teachers at Meyers. Especially in comparison to my time at WVW.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM

331 posts, read 635,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It seems bizarre that there is bullying in schools? I have nothing but great things to say about the teachers at Meyers. Especially in comparison to my time at WVW.
Physical violence in a kindergarten? Yes, that is bizarre. How often do you see 6 and 7 year olds beating other children up? I never encountered that, and I've been through several school systems. I've heard bullying by name-calling and social outcasting, but, even in high school, rarely fighting. It may just be a city vs rural thing, I don't know. Like I said, I've never personally attended a city school. This is what I know from having a nephew in the Meyers school system.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:01 PM

23,878 posts, read 32,156,993 times
No it is NOT CITY VS.RURAL - lets get that one out of the way. I know personally plenty of people including a niece who attended The Greenwich Village School - public - in NYC who have had no such problems.
My brother in law attended elementary school in East New York Brooklyn and he never saw or heard of anything even close to this.
And do not talk about RURAL schools - most really infamous school shootings have taken place there,
where gun culture prevails.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
Physical violence in a kindergarten? Yes, that is bizarre. How often do you see 6 and 7 year olds beating other children up? I never encountered that, and I've been through several school systems. I've heard bullying by name-calling and social outcasting, but, even in high school, rarely fighting. It may just be a city vs rural thing, I don't know. Like I said, I've never personally attended a city school. This is what I know from having a nephew in the Meyers school system.

I didn't realize it was kindergarten. A child, that young, displaying such behaviors IS rare and is very indicative of further problems.

However, as a parent of two boys, three years apart, I've seen kids of good parents act in very, very surprising ways. I just don't think fighting is so rare in children. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania