Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,565 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I've done quite a bit of searching and reading but everyones opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. After quite a while it looks like my transfer will be going through and I will be able to move back home from RI, but I'm not sure the best place to move to. I will be working in dover, nj ( exit 34 off of 80) but my wife will be going to school at kings college in wilkes-barre to become a teacher. Commute time for her to wikes-barre is of a lower priority because most of her classes are online and we don't know where she will be student teaching in the spring and where she might be working afterwords. Also if need be she could stay at her moms house in exeter for a day if need be.

My thoughts were to rent somewhere until she is done with school (1 year) so we could get a feel for whatever area we are in and we dont know where her job will be yet. The areas we are looking at are around mt bethel, and around milford, dingmans ferry, maybe bushkill areas. I know the traffic can get rough on 84, i was wondering if i would be hitting alot of it if i was getting off at exit 34. Google maps has the time from mt bethel to exit 34 around 33 minutes which is probably too forgiving of traffic. I was wondering how the drive from dingmans ferry/ milford, around 45 -55 min compared traffic wise and such.

Our families are located in clarks summit and exeter and all these areas are around an 1 hour away which isnt too bad.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight or advice. Also if anyone knows of where to look or who to talk to, to find out about renting a house or apt. Thank you all very much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 11:03 PM

59 posts, read 272,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapyman View Post
Hello Everyone,

I've done quite a bit of searching and reading but everyones opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. After quite a while it looks like my transfer will be going through and I will be able to move back home from RI, but I'm not sure the best place to move to. I will be working in dover, nj ( exit 34 off of 80) but my wife will be going to school at kings college in wilkes-barre to become a teacher. Commute time for her to wikes-barre is of a lower priority because most of her classes are online and we don't know where she will be student teaching in the spring and where she might be working afterwords. Also if need be she could stay at her moms house in exeter for a day if need be.

My thoughts were to rent somewhere until she is done with school (1 year) so we could get a feel for whatever area we are in and we dont know where her job will be yet. The areas we are looking at are around mt bethel, and around milford, dingmans ferry, maybe bushkill areas. I know the traffic can get rough on 84, i was wondering if i would be hitting alot of it if i was getting off at exit 34. Google maps has the time from mt bethel to exit 34 around 33 minutes which is probably too forgiving of traffic. I was wondering how the drive from dingmans ferry/ milford, around 45 -55 min compared traffic wise and such.

Our families are located in clarks summit and exeter and all these areas are around an 1 hour away which isnt too bad.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight or advice. Also if anyone knows of where to look or who to talk to, to find out about renting a house or apt. Thank you all very much for your help.

Well, traffic on I-84 isn't as bad as you think it is. Right now during the summer months it can be a little iffy at times due to construction, but typically a ride from Dingmans Ferry to Scranton would take about 35-40 minutes. Milford would be about 10-15 minutes longer.

If you wanted to be closer to your family and have a shorter commute to Scranton may I recommend the Lake Ariel/Hamlin/Mt Cobb areas. All are very nice and only 20 minutes from Scranton and about 35 minutes from Clarks Summit and 35 minutes from Wilkes Barre.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,600 times
Way out in the mountains away from the city.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:45 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Default Think about your trip

I know right where the Dover exit is.........
I know where Clarke Summit is and Wilkes Barre......
You seem to need a middle point......
I hate to suggest this town again. But, of all the people you need to know.
I think you need a middle point for both your sakes.
That would be Brodheadville, Pa.( Saylorsburg) Just below Stroudsburg.......
Heres why.......
Your wife can take route 115 all the way straight to Wilkes Barre it takes "one hour" I've traveled it a lot its not all that bad, nice and straight and then.......if she's rather go a different route theres others from here.
You, on the other hand ,would go route 33 to route 80 east.........
I would take you about just a little over "one hour" to get to Dover. ( I have family in Wharton who drive here often, one exit different from Dovers)
Route 15 into NJ from Milford is not good. The traffic is horrific.........and yes, 80 can get bad.....but its more lanes so not hardly "as bad" as 15.
The middle point would be the best for both of you.......
Don't get yourselves up in some mountain plains, too far for your commute.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Another two.....

Mt. Bethel and Portland are also good middle points........this would make your ride not all that bad. Your wife would have a bit longer but, since she will commute less....it would not probably be too difficult.
Portland being nice and close to 80 would work well...........

Old 06-27-2007, 02:06 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,271 times
Default Clarks Summit area

Hmm, how about Jessup? It seems like a nice town and smack in the middle of the roads you may be using. Hamlin, as mentioned is also a nice area.
I am in Tunkhannock which is northwest of Clarks Summit and it's wonderful here but may be a bit far for the commute. Dingman's Ferry is very nice too.
Hawley is also not too far from NJ. You would take 84 into 206 in Jersey.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,565 times
Thna you everyone for all your help. From what I've read on here, East Stroudsburg seems to have a higher crime rate from the population increase. Does anyone know how the surrounding ares like Saylorsburg, Portland, Mt Bethel, Bangor, compare?

Old 06-28-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapyman View Post
Thna you everyone for all your help. From what I've read on here, East Stroudsburg seems to have a higher crime rate from the population increase. Does anyone know how the surrounding ares like Saylorsburg, Portland, Mt Bethel, Bangor, compare?
Well, I love Saylorsburg........and I am sure you would too.
Brodheadville also.........
Crime is not worse then most other towns in Pa.........at these two locations.
Bangor and Mt Bethel older towns, but..........not much crime. (avg)
Some nice areas in a bit off of 80........good schools. The area is getting more costly due to being next to NJ for commuting........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania