Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times

Advertisements

If you read the terms of service thoroughly you'll see the relocation emphasis, and I guess we talk about it pretty often on the mod forum in regards to how mod's are supposed to keep the talk to area only talk, keep the talk on-topic and relocating other threads to the correct forum, like the recent heater thread that I moved. It specifically says in the TOS that this is NOT a chat forum. Of the other city and state forums that I mod 99% of the talk is relocation. Even the Philly forum is mostly relocation talk with a smattering of what school district is the best and some Sports talk thrown in. Just look at the other city and state forums here and you'll see that the majority of the talk is about where to live in an area.

As to the comment about bulletin board poster's being temporary, I wasn't relating some hard statistics, just what I've found. For instance when I was pregnant I found a bulletin board about that and dropped out after I had my baby. When my oldest was in HS, I looked for a bb regarding the college search. I've actually hung out there for a number of years but only because my three kids are spaced pretty far apart. The majority of the people on that one join when their kids start looking for colleges in fall or Spring of the kids Junior year, post until their kid graduates, maybe another couple of months, and then drop out. The best way to really keep in touch, IMO, is to meet in real life and just get together that way. No moderators will stop you from talking politics IRL!

I can't say I miss anyone, but is sure is nice when everyone get's along....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,877 times

YouTube - Doris Day sings The Party's Over

Old 07-26-2010, 04:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I am around but life gets in the way. Also while I read most days, some days I just dont know enough to reply.

FYI ; 15 years ago a bunch of us started talking online about medical issues we were having. To this day, abut 10 of us are still in touch regularly. Our kids have grown up, we have talked about everything and more. Some of us have met in person, others probably will never due to where they live but we still care about eachotehr a lot.
I enjoy coming here and seeing most people.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Well GOSH, I have to say I miss EVERYONE.........( thank you for your kind words my friends)
I loved just now reading through and seeing all of your names. Every time I see a posters name who have been here awhile, I just light up.
I'm trying hard to think of what would be so bad with a good group of PA people here as friends and here to help others "move" our way.........( or not)
I think "wonderful groups" should be a welcomed addition to City-Data.
Great friendships are what keep people coming back.
To think that good friendships should just be dumped because of time frames is strange.
Boy, I would certainly worry if I didn't "Miss" anyone. But, alas....I just miss you all.......
The long posters, the short posters, the helpful, and the dramatic.......
The funniest, the sweetest, the long winded, and the informative......
I come here to visit with you again. Even when life is full, and ventures are plenty......
This is the best of places. With fantastic people......
I'm not posting names, because I'd miss one....and feel bad. Thank goodness for CD and for YOU!

Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Who and when was it determined that this was specifically a relocation forum? Maybe that is part of the problem retaining posters. This board was never considered a relocation forum by the regulars or anyone for that matter since I have been posting. It was more a regional cyber gathering place for people.

I won't go into where and why the regulars left, if you have been posting here for sometime you know where and why.
Like all the above posters........I agree with this.
Many people move quite often. Many of us "regulars" have moved and now...are thinking of moving again. As a regional, cyber, gathering place CD was the best. But, its a combo of ideas, places, and other worldly interests....That really is what makes it the place to come to. Pick off parts of that....and it becomes vacant land.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
I'm still around, just not so much since the chit chat has been cut back. I pop in when I get homesick, but I've been doing pretty good lately. Even my thoughts of moving back to the area are fading.

It's a little tough to stay interested when most the talk is simply relocation info. I have been out of the area for nearly 5 years, I can't think the things I used to know are still current...

I also really miss the photo tours, no one has done one in quite a while.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:30 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
I check here most days for a quick look but the posts that made us hang around just aren't being written anymore by any of us. Chalk it up to the imposed rules.

I may have a few fresh NEPA photos to post so keep your eyes out.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:19 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Who and when was it determined that this was specifically a relocation forum? Maybe that is part of the problem retaining posters. This board was never considered a relocation forum by the regulars or anyone for that matter since I have been posting. It was more a regional cyber gathering place for people.

I won't go into where and why the regulars left, if you have been posting here for sometime you know where and why.
You got me hooked on this forum over three years ago. I liked it because it was a good place for a bunch of us to discuss different things, it was cool. I don't quite know when it turned into a relocation forum, I never knew it was. It seems now we are monitored more heavily than we were three years ago and people who were regulars are tiring of it.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 PM

NEPA threads.......take on a lot of areas. That is what kept us so interesting. Putting locks on interests is not a good internet friendly plan.....

In PA we have discussed......
Moving..........We have members moving in and out of the area. It is fantastic to know where each and
every one of us is heading. Many are our regulars move often....Here is where we talk about it.
Who is a good inspector? Who do you use as a good moving company? Where are you going?

Weather......Our weather and how it effects us, here in PA. Ice, wind, high mountain driving.......it needs to go here. Not many states have a place such as "Blakeslee" to deal with as we do.

Our foods........Who else loves pierogies more then northern PA people? We shared our receipes, and our
Snickerdoodles were to die for on a cold winters night.

Heat .......What we use for heat......Be it wood, pellets, coal, windmills.....That needs to remain in the NEPA area. Reasons.......We have special needs here. Some places are far off the beaten path. Types and kinds of heating systems are important to us. We want to share the info with our other NEPA friends.

Locations.......Where we live, how we feel about it, the good....bad....and ugly.

Politics......This area has its own very involved politics. It is unique and complicated......It can cause a few squabbles.......but........We grin and move on.

Where have all our NEPA posters gone? I hope not too far....I hope you always stop by......Even people who post infrequently....We love to see your names.

Last edited by Summering; 07-26-2010 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,787 times
I'm a fairly new NEPA poster, since we have been anticipating our move to W-B, and our arrival the end of June. We came from NC, which may be a bit unusual. I have enjoyed the threads and continue to do so, and post back if I am knowledgable on something on have an opinion.
Neighbors: we have great ones, mostly elderly ladies, a few Spanish, and a few ethnic (Lebanese), etc., they have all been real sweet and know our names. We lucked out on a good block (Prospect near Loomis) in an otherwise mixed and not-the-greatest neighborhood.
Food: we like Wegmans the best but have shopped at Wal-Mart, Price Chopper, Gerrity's in Hanover and Carones in Mountaintop. As for pierogies, I like them but they are just a bit too heavy (pasta on top of potato), I prefer meat ravioli any day.
Garbage: It's tough to get rid of and not cheap, but at least we separate our cardboard & paper and take them to Stanton & S. Empire for free, and leave our yard waste & recyclables at the curb on the correct days.
Weather: Surely this heat spell is not the norm, with my wife's preference for coolness (i.e. having the AC on when she's home) we're pushing a $200+ electric bill. But that will save us on gas in winter, as she likes it 60-65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania