Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
On the 'big no jed-no- lino', will be arriving in Philly at about 4:30...
I 'm gonna grab a quick bite then head over to the 'Homie Depot' to get some cuke, tomato,and herbs plants, flowers for the urns and window boxes and some sunflower seeds to plant for the Goldfinch that come down from the canal.
I give some veggies to my nabes...one guy, retired English Prof from my alma mater, always says the same thing every year...

'I see I am benefitting from the bounty of your garden...I don't cultivate a garden, but cultivate the friendship of people who grow gardens.'
The tomatoes and herbs have always been my favorites. The cucumbers are a close third. I've grown many things over the years with varying degrees of success. Peas, beans and zucchini are almost effortless. The melons conspired against me, and the broccoli was only passable.

What do you plant in the urns and window boxes, mr.magoo? Coneflower attracted the Goldfinch to my yard later in the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
Jimazee, Gerania...^^^^ Can I get an affirmative? :~}
The tomatoes? Jersey tomatoes are the best...other than the ones I've grown in PA.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Actually I have an addiction for the NJ Peppadews: Home - Peppadew USA! I just wished that I could find them locally in cans or bottles. They are featured in many of the olive bars; I just have not seen them on the supermarket shelves.
I guess it's order them online or go without.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I guess it's order them online or go without.

I can still satisfy my addiction with one quick trip to most supermarket olive bars! I just wish that they were available locally in the jars and cans.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I can still satisfy my addiction with one quick trip to most supermarket olive bars! I just wish that they were available locally in the jars and cans.
I've never seen them anywhere, but I wasn't looking.

It's going to be pretty cold for May in another day or two. My indeterminate cherry tomato is getting pretty big for this time of year. I put it in the 5 gallon bucket last week. I dutifully carry it out and in most days.

It's going to be really cold at night soon! I guess that buys me a bit of time for planting the other cold sensitive things.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've never seen them anywhere, but I wasn't looking.

It's going to be pretty cold for May in another day or two. My indeterminate cherry tomato is getting pretty big for this time of year. I put it in the 5 gallon bucket last week. I dutifully carry it out and in most days.

It's going to be really cold at night soon! I guess that buys me a bit of time for planting the other cold sensitive things.

If you ever get a chance try them. They could be featured in either the salad bar or olive bar of your local supermarket. They are like a sweet marinated pepper.

We did not have good luck the last few years with tomatoes. We love fresh tomatoes off the vine. But the rust has taken a toll and now our soil is probably contaminated with the spores form previous years. Our apple trees also don't look like it's going to be a great year; only just a few blossoms. If we only get a small number of fruit our unwanted guest will beat us to them.

What happened with CD this morning? It seemed like they were offline for some time. I was already scouting around for a replacement; thinking that we lost them for good. Maybe they were just cleaning some of the old files out? By the way, doing a search for forums in our area, there isn't too much around. The ones I did spot are really dead.

Have a good day!

PS: Tomorrow I'll find out about my knee. Hopefully the Dr. won't have to shoot me and put me down! I feel pretty useless right now and I'm not used to that!

Old 05-12-2016, 02:16 PM

30,486 posts, read 16,198,344 times
knees are pretty un-appreciated until they're not.

(has anyone noticed we've got 3 stickies? we must be very special.)

Old 05-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

No; TBT is having a special!

I'll find out more tomorrow on my un-appreciated knee! I've been hollering at it all week to stop gold-bricking; but it hasn't helped! My wife wants her servant back! I never knew honeydo's could get sooo long!

Old 05-12-2016, 03:54 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

Methinks Miss Moddie was sensing the dissension in the ranks, and decided to throw the rabble a bone of appeasement.
Remember, however, the words of the late great Robert Nesta Marley OM;

'them belly full but we hungry, a hungry mob is an angry mob'

Last edited by mr.magoo; 05-12-2016 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
We did not have good luck the last few years with tomatoes. We love fresh tomatoes off the vine. But the rust has taken a toll and now our soil is probably contaminated with the spores form previous years. Our apple trees also don't look like it's going to be a great year; only just a few blossoms. If we only get a small number of fruit our unwanted guest will beat us to them.

PS: Tomorrow I'll find out about my knee. Hopefully the Dr. won't have to shoot me and put me down! I feel pretty useless right now and I'm not used to that!
You really have the deck stacked against you in the garden. I guess if you want a few home grown tomatoes you're going to have to resort to the bucket as I have.

Oh, geez, what happened to your knee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania