Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 07:18 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
65 bucks plus shipping...shirt, jar of pickles, mustard and 8 slices of rye bread I lb. of corn beef OR pastrami....
That's really not a bad price to have it all shipped.

Next time I'm in The City I'll have to head to Katz's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 07:40 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,237,070 times
no...I'm seriously considering it...I forgot they give you Knishes too.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
no...I'm seriously considering it...I forgot they give you Knishes too.
The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is missing out on a lot of things. Sure there are places in NYC that charge an arm and a leg plus tax but I've found a lot of good, inexpensive places outside the tourist trap areas.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:12 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
ay caramba! Order me one too, Mike...

I'll eat your pickle too, if you don't want it.
Don't even think about taking my pickle. I'll give you a pickle or two though, because I always get extra.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Don't even think about taking my pickle. I'll give you a pickle or two though, because I always get extra.
They're the best kosher pickles I've ever had.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:29 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I'm watching Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel and there's a segment on the different foods in NYC. Now I'm in the mood for a hot pastrami sandwich from Katz Deli.

Katz's Delicatessen
I seem to remember Dinners, Drive-ins and Dives featuring either that Deli or one very similar. The one thing that gets me about most deli's and restaurants in our area is that they don't pay attention to shows like that one. Many just keep serving the same old crap, they never change and then eventually go out of business.

I guess we see the same thing with the Bar Rescue. Except, with the Bar Rescue, they go into bars that have absolutely filthy kitchens. They force them to clean up their kitchens and give them new equipment - but they leave the same management in charge to 'oversee' cleaning the new equipment! I don't think I would ever be anxious to go into one of their featured makeovers.

I am one big fan of our South Central PA food and especially their grinders (hot meat and melted cheese on fresh bread/rolls that are sometimes cold with lettuce/tomatoes/etc. and sometimes the breads are hot). Of course fresh breads/rolls make the difference in any sandwich. Which is kind-of the same idea as Katz's - but they crank it up a notch or two with their attention to their own pastrami and corned beef. I just wished that more places around here jumped on the band wagon. Workers are usually the first to 'spot' good food - you can tell from all of the service trucks parked outside.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Pickles are made on premises.
I've never had a Katz sammich...girlfriend who was attending the Cooper Union in NYC took me there but the line was 'crazy go nuts' so we went elsewhere.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Your are not only a gentle loving soul, but a generous one as well.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 AM

Fisheye, thats a good point about the service trucks...also look for the purveyor and provision trucks making deliveries...if they are ordering good provisions, there is a better chance of getting a quality meal..

Old 05-24-2016, 08:18 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
Quote:

Best Kosher pickles I ever had were at a little Jewish deli on the corner of Somerset and Warnock in Philadelphia about 70 years ago. Cost a nickel. You fished one out of the barrel (on the floor, please, the hygiene police would die!) and wrapped it in a sheet of waxed paper. Used to get one to take to the Saturday matinee. (Nine cents to get in, double feature, cartoon, newsreel, coming attractions, cliff-hanging chapter and sometimes a yo-yo champ would show up to teach us how to "walk the dog".) lol

Funny thing is, it was across the street from a little grocery store and we never bought cold cuts at the deli - only at the grocery. Don't know why, I'd have to ask my parents but they're no longer with us. I suppose I must have been a rebel - buying a pickle at the Jewish deli.

I've never had a Katz sandwich but I did have a pastrami on rye at a deli in downtown Philadelphia. Don't remember the name. Sometimes, I have a dream about that sandwich.

There's a deli down the road from me and when it was owned by Max Goldstein, it was a real deli. It was sold (I think to Gentiles) and it just isn't the same. Sometimes, I get a Corned Beef Special just for lang syne. Their pickles stink.

As for the locals not knowing what they're missing, everyplace can't be NYC. And they apparently are satisfied that they're not.

I'm running on here about the man who sold his wife's car, mortgaged their home, transferred their kids to public school and went to NYC to learn the proper way to make bagels. He came back, opened a bagle shop and thrived. Enlarged the store, offered other baked goods, put in tables, stayed open late and prospered. One day, he decided he'd had enough, moved out, left town, and now we get our bagels from the supermarket bakery. They can be hit or miss but on a good day, yum-o. I'm leaving now to pick up a dozen - hope it's a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania