Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 06:15 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Bunker? That really stinks. The fish factory on the island did that for many years.
That's the whole idea...the stank, blood, and oil attracts the Blues...

gotta change your chunk after about 20 mins...it loses it's yuck factor after all the slime and smegna washes out...
the head is the best...holds the stank the longest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 07:30 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post

gotta change your chunk after about 20 mins...it loses it's yuck factor after all the slime and smegna washes out...
crabs like it too...tie a halfabunker on a line or in a trap and watch the oil slick waft into the bay

never used it for blues IIRC (i think it was too soft) ...i remember using butterfish...maybe for blues

never heard anyone say 'bunker is good if you cook it right'

Old 05-27-2016, 08:09 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,346,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Cut bunker can be nasty as it ages

I hope Joe-Joes lives up to the hype. I'm far from an expert on Italian Dogs.

My parents knew the Greeks that started it "The Bayside Inn". When I was a kid we'd dine there sometimes. Later in my 20s I did a few times too. At some point I believe a son took over. Eventually it fell on bad times. (Maybe was the 90s.)

BTW, I just saw a promo on Scranton TV Channel 16-2 for a program on IBSP this Saturday morning at 9.

With the heat forecast, the shore could be nuts this weekend. Amateur hour at its best. Good time to stay away.
I'll pass watching anything dealing with Scranton.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, J....not going back til Tuesday..(.'til Tuesday' that's a song, heyna?).

the Guidos and shoobies were already hitting Seaside Weds. afternoon when I was leaving...

everytime I type Heyna, Spellcheck spits out 'Hyena'
Heyna or no?

If I was smart and planned things right, I would have gone to AC last month and NY this week-end for the 3 day holiday. I would have gone to Westchester County so I would have missed Fleet Week and the Squids and Mis-guided Children and Coasties(Sailors and Marines and Coast Guard). Not critizing them. I was in the Air Force (Wing Washers/Bus Drivers) and the Army (Grunts).

Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:

I used to enjoy going for Blues and Fluke.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
crabs like it too...tie a halfabunker on a line or in a trap and watch the oil slick waft into the bay

never used it for blues IIRC (i think it was too soft) ...i remember using butterfish...maybe for blues

I miss crabbing also. The crabs here in Scranton are the wrong kind of crabs.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:

The Blues are gorging themselves on giant pods of Bunker all up and down the coast and in the bays...even the Stripers are feeding on Bunker..so you 'match the hatch' as they say..

Yeah, Bunker gets soft, but you have to keep changing the bait every 15 mins or so anyway..
Later on in the summer, Butterfish and mullet on mullet rigs work best.

Jim, I know you crabbed the piers in Seaside, but have you ever crabbed from the dock ( now called Dock Outfitters) just off the bridge as you turn right to go into Seaside?

They try to discourage the Shoobies from No. Jersey from bringing chicken for bait..

really screws up the whole feeding chain...

I have been bringing freshwater junk fish like carp, suckers, eels etc..and using them for bait..
The crabs LOVE it..I will get three keepers to one for anyone using chicken or saltwater fish.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Heyna or no?

If I was smart and planned things right, I would have gone to AC last month and NY this week-end for the 3 day holiday. I would have gone to Westchester County so I would have missed Fleet Week and the Squids and Mis-guided Children and Coasties(Sailors and Marines and Coast Guard). Not critizing them. I was in the Air Force (Wing Washers/Bus Drivers) and the Army (Grunts).
2x squid here..regular Navy MAA3.

second gig was with the NJNMJC (New Jersey Naval Militia Joint Command) part of the National guard,
based at Dix-Maquire ( 20 min. ride from my house) Volunteered right after 9/11....Graduated Boot camp March 2002 at 49 yrs. old..5th in my class of 57 volunteers...all prior military...was MAA2 then promoted to CWO.
Any outfit that would made me an Officer was in serious trouble ...

Old 05-27-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
2x squid here..regular Navy MAA3.

second gig was with the NJNMJC (New Jersey Naval Militia Joint Command) part of the National guard,
based at Dix-Maquire ( 20 min. ride from my house) Volunteered right after 9/11....Graduated Boot camp March 2002 at 49 yrs. old..5th in my class of 57 volunteers...all prior military...was MAA2 then promoted to CWO.
Any outfit that would made me an Officer was in serious trouble ...
We "make fun" of the different branches and wear different uniforms but that's where the fun ends. We cover for each other no matter what.

It seems the NCOs and CWOs run the military. I made NCO in the Army and had almost free reign as far as getting my job done and what schools I went to. The only reason I didn't go after the Navy and CG was that I was terrified of getting seasick while at sea.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
We "make fun" of the different branches and wear different uniforms but that's where the fun ends. We cover for each other no matter what.

It seems the NCOs and CWOs run the military. I made NCO in the Army and had almost free reign as far as getting my job done and what schools I went to. The only reason I didn't go after the Navy and CG was that I was terrified of getting seasick while at sea.
I made Sp5 in the Army Reserves. I kind of liked it like that. That old rank got some respect and did not have the responsibilities of the NCO's. Had I continued in military college I would have come out a 2nd Lieutenant - I am glad that I did not; it all worked out pretty good for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania