Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 08:22 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,380,165 times

Advertisements

Happy Gardening! Isn't it amazing how much better a little bit of yard work can make a place look! Any thought to interplanting a few veggies into the 'flower' garden to increase your veggie yield in you limited space? I've often done that with good results. I have blueberry bushes at the back of flower beds in my yard and use hot peppers as a border, as I think they are pretty on their own. On the edge one year, I did pumpkin and wound it around as a ground cover - was a bit too much work though, so I stay away from running squashes now. Eggplant has a pretty purple flower and the fruits are attractive also. I don't know why we were brought up to separate flowers and veggies, but I've had a lot of fun and luck combining the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
We have such a tiny city yard, due to our driveway and garage going all across the back, but in the back on one side is a tiny triangular lawn about 20' long and going from around 8' wide on one end, going down to zero as you approach the garage. Coming into the driveway, we have a strip about 4' wide and 20' long with a few bushes, hedges, and a small fig tree. The two azalea plants there are coming into their full red blooms the past few days. In spite of our tight budget, I cleaned up that area and laid down 10 bags of black much there, it sure makes a difference in the appearance. Out back, I cleared a small area for planting some zucchini, we will see how that goes, and I may expand the area next year. Also got 3 topsy-turvy tomato planters today. They are $9.99 each at Bed, Bath & Beyond (the cheapest in town), plus they gave me a $5 discount on the three, so it was only $25. Then I got 3 Early Girl tomato plants at Walmart for 3.33 each, that variety grows fast and is best for containers, we had good luck with them before down south. Also trying to grow some cilantro in a few large flower pots, and may try a few radishes in another area cleared in the rear "yard" section to be shared with a few flower seeds. The adjacent neighbor's son, who are Hispanic, had a nice garden last year. They have no garage or driveway (they are in a duplex), but he has a much bigger area, about 6' x 40' not including the rest of his yard. He's been going at it too, the last few days, digging away. Always nice to both see others and to participate oneself in a bit of that spring fever. In fact, so many people seemed to have been doing the same thing around here, that the yard waste garbage truck finally made it just now - at 6:45PM !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 07:07 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,427,073 times
With the end of the world supposedly being today, freak out your neighbors & lay out a set of your clothes in the driveway!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,155,697 times
Fine Arts Fiesta this weekend in Wilkes-Barre!

Who is going?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:56 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,168,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Fine Arts Fiesta this weekend in Wilkes-Barre!

Who is going?
We were there yesterday. my wife is there now with the girls getting face painting.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:54 PM

Went there today and going tomorrow. My favorite local event!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:18 AM

Default Happy Memorial Day

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for,
Is their monument to-day, and for aye." -Thomas Dunn English
Attached Thumbnails
NEPA ~ Off Topic ~ Chatting Thread  ( New )-memorial-day.jpg  

Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,889,335 times
Today is the first day of Summer. Where the heck is Summering? Helllloooo...When ya comin' back?
Everybody else - Enjoy the season. As Hoyt Keyser used to say, "Whatever you do, do it well."

Old 06-22-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Today is the first day of Summer. Where the heck is Summering? Helllloooo...When ya comin' back?
Everybody else - Enjoy the season. As Hoyt Keyser used to say, "Whatever you do, do it well."
We have been enjoying the very long days that comes along with summer!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:26 PM

4 posts, read 13,772 times
Default Your Favorite Restaurant Salad Dressing

I don't see many posts about salad dressings at restaurants, so I was wondering where do you get your favorite Salad dressing. My favorite is the garlic balsamic Parmesan dressing at Gentile's Philly Grill on Jackson St. How about you?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 PM

889 posts, read 2,560,071 times
> I don't see many posts about salad dressings at...
You should be hanging out at Roadfood.com - The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America Not at all an unusual topic of discussion on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania