Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My wife and I love the big kernel yellow sweet corn that you simply cannot find today. About 20 years ago we grew one variety that was about the best we ever had; that was Penn Fresh ADX. I tried searching for it on line and came up with broken links or the wrong information. I think aliens stole the best sweet corn or maybe Monsanto! We cannot figure out why everybody started growing the bi-color corn and some white corn - what happened to yellow (it's discrimination).

Here is one link that gives some of the varieties (except Penn Fresh ADX): Sweet Corn Production — Ag Alternatives — Penn State Extension.
It's a fashion show, fisheye. Yellow was fine until everyone wanted white. Then, bi-color became all the rage. In recent years, I've been seeing mostly very pale yellow. I guess it's a white type.

I remember going to farm stands with mom, and she always asked which variety they were selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's a fashion show, fisheye. Yellow was fine until everyone wanted white. Then, bi-color became all the rage. In recent years, I've been seeing mostly very pale yellow. I guess it's a white type.

I remember going to farm stands with mom, and she always asked which variety they were selling.
Whenever I buy corn I always buy the edible kind.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM

Default Champale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
cool story TG...that was quite the thing about Campbells getting their tomatoes from local farms back in the day when their processing plant was in Camden.
that's why every batch of V-8 juice my Dad bought he was able to discern the difference in the tomato flavor.

The local farms around Hamilton Square, NJ where I lived after we moved from WB contracted with Stokely Van Camp in Trenton on Lalor Street..I remember a friend of my older brother was taken a truckload of tomatoes to SVC and spilled the whole load right in front of the factory..

It made the papers..had his picture looking real dejected sitting down while the local South Trenton 'River Rat' kids were gathering up the spilled produce.

If the wind was right you could smell the tomatoes being processed on some days.at the factory..the whole area smelled like Ketchup.

About 25 years ago, they converted the factory to a Senior Citizens home..really nice..The still kept the ornate old wrought iron sign with the monogram SVC at the entrance.

Champale factory at bottling plant was just a 1/4 mile away heading towards the River.
That's a blast from the past. I remember the commercials.

I didn't realize Campbell was in Camden until 1990.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-...mpbell-soup-co

Old 08-09-2016, 03:49 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
Quote:

we grew up on white corn...most local farms grew it to suit the tastes of the local suburbanites.local
Farmers, to protect their sweet corn crops from local hungry marauding teens, (I ain't mentionin' no names') would grow a few rows of 'horse corn' on the periphery of the sweet corn to disuade us from plucking.

Coming home from the beach as teens, we would raid a local farmstand of a basket of tomatoes or peaches...everyone kept a salt shaker in their glove box with a piece of paper across the shaker holes...

In my group, about 10 guys, 5 went to Viet Nam as Marines a few short years later, 2 KIA,
One two tours, 4 Purple Hearts...the other two, one went to Okinawa..another as a triage Corpsman to the Phillipines

8 out of 10 of us served in the Military...that was the odds back then.. it just seemed to dominate every conversation...and just so natural...

sorry...back to Corn

Old 08-09-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
That's a blast from the past. I remember the commercials.

I didn't realize Campbell was in Camden until 1990.

Campbell Shutdown Leaves Town in the Soup - latimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWeicpI9sLw
Champale..oh yeah,
always gave me a headache, and a dry mouth..would drink it with our 'street collaborators aka 'rat bastid informers' ..they would sell their own mamas out...

just doin' my job..doin' my job.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 08-09-2016 at 05:28 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 04:09 PM

but more realistically..this is more representative of socio-economic group that really imbibed this vile concoction..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrFSxJxf2V0

Last edited by mr.magoo; 08-09-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
There are a few ways to microwave corn. Lots of examples and videos on the web. Just duckduckgo (or Google...) something like .... get ready for the magic chant ....."microwave corn" (!!!!). Knock yourself out reading the variations...I like videos for this technique, which I have been using lately. It's like magic at removing the husks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBF6bv4Oe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vWhX1zXKM

If you search you'll find many more...some different.

The biggest disadvantage may be that m/w corn works best with one or two at a time, though some say you can do 3 or 4 in a triangle or box shape and maybe rotate part way etc. You have to find your timing.

The nice thing is it's easy to just pop a corn in the m/w and in 3-4 minutes it's done (I do about 2.5 to 3 minutes in 1100 watt micro with fresh corn...a bit longer if older corn). After it's done there's very little cleanup. Just be careful to let it cool a bit before handling and eating.

Good luck...

Last edited by jimazee; 08-09-2016 at 08:04 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 09:33 PM

Default Corn

Quote:
we grew up on white corn...most local farms grew it to suit the tastes of the local suburbanites.local
Farmers, to protect their sweet corn crops from local hungry marauding teens, (I ain't mentionin' no names') would grow a few rows of 'horse corn' on the periphery of the sweet corn to disuade us from plucking.

Coming home from the beach as teens, we would raid a local farmstand of a basket of tomatoes or peaches...everyone kept a salt shaker in their glove box with a piece of paper across the shaker holes...

In my group, about 10 guys, 5 went to Viet Nam as Marines a few short years later, 2 KIA,
One two tours, 4 Purple Hearts...the other two, one went to Okinawa..another as a triage Corpsman to the Phillipines

8 out of 10 of us served in the Military...that was the odds back then.. it just seemed to dominate every conversation...and just so natural...

sorry...back to Corn
My brother worked as a senior scout/counselor at Camp Acahela (BSA) one summer. It's off of 115 just north of Blakeslee, and the next summer at Camp Kresge (YMCA). Both places, he was teaching wildlife awareness, living off the land, etc. You betcha that living off of the land involved farm fields. Usually corn, but anything would do. Pine needle tea is terrible, cat tails aren't very filling, and you don't always catch a fish. I was horrified, just horrified when he told me about that. My big brother stole something?

He didn't go to Vietnam. He was a language major at Wilkes...French, German, Russian. My parents reluctantly accepted that he would go, until the CIA came calling. There were two appointments at the house. Mom sent me to my room. We hadn't yet gone north, but that's why they wanted him. They needed interrogators. Nope. He went to Morocco with the Peace Corps then taught in a poor neighborhood in New Jersey for a couple of years. I love New Jersey.

I went to school with a guy who died in the Beirut barracks bombing. The really weird thing was that a friend, a guy, bought his car when his parents finally sold it. It was a yellow Toyota Celica liftback.

So, corn.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
but more realistically..this is more representative of socio-economic group that really imbibed this vile concoction..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrFSxJxf2V0
That's what I remember. How much Colt did you have to drink?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
There are a few ways to microwave corn. Lots of examples and videos on the web. Just duckduckgo (or Google...) something like .... get ready for the magic chant ....."microwave corn" (!!!!). Knock yourself out reading the variations...I like videos for this technique, which I have been using lately. It's like magic at removing the husks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBF6bv4Oe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vWhX1zXKM

If you search you'll find many more...some different.

The biggest disadvantage may be that m/w corn works best with one or two at a time, though some say you can do 3 or 4 in a triangle or box shape and maybe rotate part way etc. You have to find your timing.

The nice thing is it's easy to just pop a corn in the m/w and in 3-4 minutes it's done (I do about 2.5 to 3 minutes in 1100 watt micro with fresh corn...a bit longer if older corn). After it's done there's very little cleanup. Just be careful to let it cool a bit before handling and eating.

Good luck...
I'd be happy to have Ken as my neighbor. He seems a really nice guy.

Mrs. Rogers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania