Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 05:56 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times

Advertisements

It's ashame this place wasn't able to compete. I worked at Cove Have and was trained at Brookdale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjKvKobISGc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 05:09 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
So...how is everyone?...
long last two weeks...when one is retired...life becomes predictable ...then a 'Spanner is thrown into the works' as the Brits say..

Some mechanical things failed around here at Magoo Manor..Water Heater...

I looked at it on Sat. morning..it was 16 yrs old.
I called and made arrangements that afternoon at 2 pm for it's replacement on 8/26..

It must have been angered...

At approx. midnight on the night I called, it went into leak mode...

I tried to cut off the feed valve to the WH while I hooked up a hose to drain it..but it was a twist circular valve that was frozen shut ...so I had to close off the main water feed...

We mopped and cleaned til 3 am...

Next day was a Sunday...we had no running water..bucket brigade to the canal brought enough to flush the Loos, neighbors hose provided enough clean water for prison style 'Bird baths' for me..
My wife went to our daughters houses for proper showers...no pioneer spirit...

Monday my contractor neighbor, his bro, and I installed a Home Boy Depot Rheem WH in less than two hours..
a minor leak developed due to a cheap hot water exit hose..rectified by a better quality unit from a mom and pop hardware store.

Brake warning light came lit on the BMW zed ..faulty sensor..sensor pulled and replaced.
Today was my Cardio guy vist..cholesterol is fine, exercise, omega fish oil, 5 mg of Crestor keeping the numbers righteous..don't have to go back for six months.

Got an email from a Plains Pa. Cousin ..she lives in the greater Washington DC area now..

She Went on a fact finding ancestry trip through Poland, Prussia, and Russia, hired a guide, translator, and Historian ...this was one of her 'bucket list' items..info she gleaned, and so politely shared was astounding...

Kicked the hell out of Ancestry.com.

We are landed gentry...soldiers and sailors, cavalrymen...and barrel makers...gypsies, tramps and thieves...a Duke and a Count...

makes me happy.

So, still eating Jersey Corn and tomatoes..jersey peaches are turned into rustic dessert tarts with a scoop of Hagen Das by my wife..

still catching Bluefish..

put some pics up of magoo manor on my album here, of back garden statuary..still need to do pics the lawn jockey and urns out front.
that's all I have...
cool here..days getting shorter.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 08-24-2016 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 05:26 PM

A short walk today.

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...hort-walk.html

Fortunately I don't have to see my cardiologist until around NEXT June.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:58 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
You had to remind me of Cher, didn't you?

Sounds as though you've been busy. I haven't been that kind of busy in a good long while. That one was a spreading stain and water dripping from the living room ceiling. Made my son get up on a ladder and poke a hole in the ceiling so the water could escape. "You want me to poke a hole in the ceiling?" Um, yeah. Poor kid. I'd taught him to not destroy property or poke holes in things and I think he was a bit confused.

Last time I, we, bought a house, the sump pump failed during a week of rain and flooded the crawl space the week we were moving in. This was a problem because it was waterproof concrete. Three weeks after we moved in, the water heater failed. Thankfully, it didn't leak. It just stopped heating water.

When the pump failed, I awoke at 4 AM, gasped, sat up and said that we needed to check the pump. Witchy woman?

Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
A short walk today.

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...hort-walk.html

Fortunately I don't have to see my cardiologist until around NEXT June.
Nice pictures, Mike. There's a little forest in the city. I like that.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Nice pictures, Mike. There's a little forest in the city. I like that.
It's only about 4 blocks away but the uphill walk back to my apartment is rough.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
It's only about 4 blocks away but the uphill walk back to my apartment is rough.
I hear ya. I used to eat hills for lunch. Not so much any more.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:08 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
That is what I miss about 'back home'
nice pics Mike..

Old 08-27-2016, 10:38 PM

Since it was a quiet evening, I thought I'd set something on fire in the microwave. First time. What's that weird noise? What's that smell? Good thing it wasn't hot or cold, because the place needed to be aired out.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:23 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Since it was a quiet evening, I thought I'd set something on fire in the microwave. First time. What's that weird noise? What's that smell? Good thing it wasn't hot or cold, because the place needed to be aired out.
So; how are your smoke detectors working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania