Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 06:26 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,324,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
aww jeez Mike,...I said it was another story...now you went and let 'the cat out of the bag'..
When I worked there, I'd have to call almost every night. I never had to identify myself (the dispatchers have caller ID). All they said was "Do you want the police or an ambulance tonight?" I worked 3rd shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 07:55 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,207,108 times
lol..
great story Mike!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:15 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,324,090 times
Quote:
lol..
great story Mike!
I lasted working there about 9 months and moved onto better hotels.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:10 AM

32,752 posts, read 35,950,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You might want to check your batteries or the detectors - rather 'safe' than sorry!
They're wired. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
that's quite a coincidence..just before I read your post about the burning plastic...I was reading the service records for the BMW I found w/ the manual.
A guy from NYC was the prior owner..
He took it to the BMW 'Stealership' because he said a 'foul burning smell' was coming through the air vents..
The smell turned out to be a plastic bag melting on the exhaust pipe..
somehow they talked him into new front brake pads and rotors @22,000 miles!

total price of diagnosing the stanky plastic bag and front brake job was $398.00.

The man took a reaming ala Ned Beatty in that scene from 'Deliverance'
I feel sorry for people like that. They go through life banging into posts, backing up, then doing it again... like one of those toy pull back cars. Not always, but often enough.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I once transformed a potato into a charcoal briquet, simply with a finger-stutter on the keypad.
Washed a baking potato, poked a few holes with a fork, put it in the mike and (thought) I set the cook time for 4.30. It came out as 43.00 - minutes, that is.

While I waited, I decided to vacuum the living room. I don't get that urge very often so when I do, I get right on it.

When it began to get "foggy" and I heard a strange noise, I thought something might be wrong with the old Hoover. W R O N G ! Shut off the sweeper, and realized the "fog" was smoke and the strange noise was the blasting of the smoke detector which had been partially camouflaged by the noise of the vacuum cleaner.

The "blaze" in the mike was still going strong so I pulled the plug and waited for the flame to die. Vented the place and kicked myself for being so dumb.

The peanut butter sandwich wasn't half bad.
Finger stutter, or... I was thawing three cups of chicken broth still in the box. I'm pretty sure I forgot to set the reduced power percentage. Some of the plastic had melted and was on fire. The foil liner caused some spectacular arcing. The microwave still works. Thank you Sharp Electronics.

I don't get the urge to vacuum very often, either.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:22 PM

finger stutter/ by Gypsy..'banging into posts ..like toy pull back cars' /Gerania
Thank you, lovely penpals...

some new writing fodder for me.

(blowing kisses to your dainty Nepa cheeks .)

Old 08-30-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I remember getting my first micro ...1985..
My mother's first microwave was big and brown. No power settings and a timer dial. I didn't get one until 1989. We'd been moving and moving again, so it would have been just one more thing to pack. When we finally stayed in one place for a while, I removed the range hood and put one over the stove. It was rather sophisticated for the day. I liked that one because it was possible to close the door quietly. Most of them loudly thunk closed.

I've gotten food stink in a couple of microwaves since, but it didn't last forever--and it wasn't curry! Funny you should mention that, because there's a C-D thread started by a woman, couple, who are worried about selling their condo because of the Indian neighbors. Their place constantly smells like curry. Curry is great when you eat it, but I don't want to smell it the next day, and certainly not every day.

I've never named an appliance. I've called them a thing or two.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I've been there. Been to Sweetwater, too. I used to like to go out and find places like this.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:27 PM

Bored out of my Gourd...waiting on the Boiler tech to tune up my furnace...
Put this homemade (Obviously) Bob Marley Bungee Cord holder up in my shed..
maybe it would look better w/ long black guitar cords...?

https://i.imgflip.com/19ribn.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania