Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 06:46 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
No, my parents were in iron and steel - My mother irons and my father steals. I crack me up.
I've made no secret of my age. I was born in 1935. I've seen a lot of changes in my life.

The house we lived in (rented) still had the gas light pipes in the walls. They were no longer in use, we were electrified. (and electrifyin')

We still had an ice-box. And don't forget to empty the friggin' drip pan or you had to mop the kitchen floor!

We had a gas whoozis in the basement and you had to go downstairs and light the thing to heat hot water for a bath or dishes. I can't tell you how many times we had to turn around from a Sunday drive (after the war when gas was no longer rationed) because nobody could remember turning off the whoozis. Sugar, butter, shoes, cigarettes, coffee, all rationed or very hard to get. You needed a coupon for many items and even then it might not be available. The red circle in the middle of Lucky Strike cigarette packs used to be avocado green but all that dye was directed to the manufacture of military goods so they changed the logo to red.

I had one of the first portable radios.

The previous tenant had left a player piano behind because they couldn't afford to move it. We took piano lessons from the lady up the street for a quarter a lesson. We played the old piano rolls for our own entertainment. No TV.

I remember listening to Queen Elizabeth's wedding to Prince Philip on a floor model radio. Felt like I was there.

You guys don't know what you missed.
This is some great stuff TG...
just wondering..did you ever pass a Wooly Mammoth walking those 5 miles through the snow to get to school in the morning? :~}

I have a large NEPA scrapbook, pics, articles, my Dads and Uncles military discharge papers, parents marraige license..tons of stuff..

I have 5 Ration Books too..pretty cool, those little stamps with pics of tanks and howitzers ...

I never knew that about the Lucky Strike logo..'veddy interesting'

I have a pic of My Maternal Grandmom in the paper with other Gold Star mothers gathering up scrap metal, pots, pans to contribute to the war effort.

Mother was in Iron, father was in Steel...I am SO stealing that line.:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
There's a couple of Rita's Italian Ice in the area but they're so few and far between I haven't been to one. I wonder if it's the same company.
Very well could be..it's a Franchise type thingie.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
More often than not I'd go home with swollen knuckles from being hit with a ruler.
When I was 14 I had swollen knuckles too..but not from getting hit with a ruler...nudge nudge wink wink.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:18 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
This is some great stuff TG...
just wondering..did you ever pass a Wooly Mammoth walking those 5 miles through the snow to get to school in the morning? :~}

I have a large NEPA scrapbook, pics, articles, my Dads and Uncles military discharge papers, parents marraige license..tons of stuff..

I have 5 Ration Books too..pretty cool, those little stamps with pics of tanks and howitzers ...

I never knew that about the Lucky Strike logo..'veddy interesting'

I have a pic of My Maternal Grandmom in the paper with other Gold Star mothers gathering up scrap metal, pots, pans to contribute to the war effort.

Mother was in Iron, father was in Steel...I am SO stealing that line.:-)
I have some ration books, my grandfather's pocket watch from when he worked on the railroad, copies of my father's military records from when he was in the Marines during WW2.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:42 AM

Was your dad in the Pacific?
My Dad was a CWO with the Navy Seabees in the Pacific...

Old 09-18-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Was your dad in the Pacific?
My Dad was a CWO with the Navy Seabees in the Pacific...
Yes he was------Guam, Okinawa, etc.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:46 PM

Semper Fi
Thanks to your Dad for his service.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Semper Fi
Thanks to your Dad for his service.
He would appreciate it if he were still alive.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:01 PM

oh...I know we ladies ( thanks Gerania) and Mike were 'Nun Bashing' last cupla days...

but I saw this very well done, but disturbing film last Monday at The County Theater.. limited engagement.

Benedictine Nuns in Poland at the end of WWII ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEeEekaqFiQ

Old 09-18-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
He would appreciate it if he were still alive.
Mike...my Dad would be 100 yrs. old next month..but I still thank him for his Service..I will be up in Wilkes Barre on Veterans Day..laying down flags on his and my Uncles graves as I do every year.

I didn't think your Dad was still around, but I know you still thank him for his Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania