Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
This is a new sign being installed on I-81:
According to several post; you would believe NEPA to be all DOOM and GLOOM. You would think They have a Beer to drink or a Rock to climb (back) under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I miss the regular participation of members such as sp2007, to570717, Jungle George, Pittston2Sarasota, memoriesbre, Summering (who still comes here every now and then), okaydorothy, Dawne, rockyy, CHS89, poconosmama, and many others who were assets to this sub-forum and who were likely driven away by these miserable cretins. .

We used to ALL get along relatively (in one way or another), despite some "battles", & were a typical dysfunctional "family". BUT, we were all allowed to state our views, good bad or indifferent w/o the strong arm of the "law" riding into town daily to shoot down everything in sight that didn't meet her parameters, or some soft-underbellied person getting offended over the stupidest thing & reporting posts.

Now, it seems, unless people paint NEPA as a land of milk & honey, there's something wrong with them!!!

I'm a fairly liberal & "live 'n' let live" kinda guy, but this "Love-In" that this forum is trying to be directed toward is sickening!!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-20-2012 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: Removed nazi comment

Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
I was driven away by the new mod & her style of nazi-interpretation of TOS, not by any "miserable cretins".

We used to ALL get along relatively (in one way or another), despite some "battles", & were a typical dysfunctional "family". BUT, we were all allowed to state our views, good bad or indifferent w/o the strong arm of the "law" riding into town daily to shoot down everything in sight that didn't meet her parameters, or some soft-underbellied person getting offended over the stupidest thing & reporting posts.

Now, it seems, unless people paint NEPA as a land of milk & honey, there's something wrong with them!!!

I'm a fairly liberal & "live 'n' let live" kinda guy, but this "Love-In" that this forum is trying to be directed toward is sickening!!
Amen, brother!

I personally think it is the height of hubris for any person to attempt to tell the rest of us how we must feel about the area in which we live.
Somewhere between the "I've found the land of milk and honey" and the "Here I am in Hell" posters, there are those of us who feel that the area, despite the assets, also has some negatives. Just because we state them doesn't mean we are unhappy here. It just means that we sleep better knowing we haven't completely misled those who would consider moving here.

I've lived in NEPA for 44 years, having lived in several other cities prior. I've seen many changes here in that time. Scranton, when I lived there, was spectacularly liveable and I loved my time there. Having seen the changes that have taken place, I'm not sure I'd want to be there now, mainly for the oppressive COL. But I wouldn't tell anyone NOT to move there because I assume, rightly or wrongly, that the newcomers would have done their due diligence.

Just as I wouldn't try to convince anyone that this is the happiest place on earth. Walt Disney created that.

I do not, however, appreciate being lumped in with a group of "doomers" simply because I point out some of the obvious flaws. I resent being called "you people", which, no matter how it's used, has pejorative connotations.

My posts here are fewer, simply because so many of the threads degenerate into "did too" "did not" "is so" "is not" fests. Sooooo tiresome.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Amen, brother!

I personally think it is the height of hubris for any person to attempt to tell the rest of us how we must feel about the area in which we live.
Somewhere between the "I've found the land of milk and honey" and the "Here I am in Hell" posters, there are those of us who feel that the area, despite the assets, also has some negatives. Just because we state them doesn't mean we are unhappy here. It just means that we sleep better knowing we haven't completely misled those who would consider moving here.

I've lived in NEPA for 44 years, having lived in several other cities prior. I've seen many changes here in that time. Scranton, when I lived there, was spectacularly liveable and I loved my time there. Having seen the changes that have taken place, I'm not sure I'd want to be there now, mainly for the oppressive COL. But I wouldn't tell anyone NOT to move there because I assume, rightly or wrongly, that the newcomers would have done their due diligence.

Just as I wouldn't try to convince anyone that this is the happiest place on earth. Walt Disney created that.

I do not, however, appreciate being lumped in with a group of "doomers" simply because I point out some of the obvious flaws. I resent being called "you people", which, no matter how it's used, has pejorative connotations.

My posts here are fewer, simply because so many of the threads degenerate into "did too" "did not" "is so" "is not" fests. Sooooo tiresome.
Amen Sister!!!

I have a vested interest in NEPA, even though I don't live there personally...I have lotsa family still there.

Are they happy all the time? No. Are any of us? Not unless we're taking some wonderful purple mojo pills.

Are they miserable all the time? No. Are any of us? Not unless life's battered us to the despair point.

They work, eat, sleep & play in NEPA & take the good with the bad...just like all of us. And they state the truth about NEPA...good AND bad.

I've lived in a few places & visited a TON of others. Are any perfection? No.
No matter how wonderful a place is, there's always drawbacks & room for improvement, & these should be stated to prospective residents-to-be as well as the good. But it seems that unless these are stated in a certain "pre-determined" TOS fashion, they don't cut the CD cheese.

As I stated on another thread which was of course (****GASP**** I know, hard to believe....) locked down, I'm glad I researched Florida before I moved, or else I woulda had a lot of rude awakenings!!! Despite what people think, it's not 24/7 sunshine & parties.....same with NEPA. The area is gorgeous, the residents are down-to-earth & (most....) don't put on snooty airs. The wonderful ethnic culture of the mining days is still quite evident, Etc....etc....etc... But, there are negatives as well.

I don't wish to become a full-time member of the CD Coffee Clutch Club here, so I guess I'll just continue to visit every now & then & open my big yap here & there.... At least I met a buncha wonderful folks (who also left here) & keep up with them on Facebook!!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
I think that we should have a drum circle in Nesbitt Park with group sing alongs.

I'll bring the kool-aid.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I think that we should have a drum circle in Nesbitt Park with group sing alongs.

I'll bring the kool-aid.
Dan, some of us know your history and certainly understand your pain and frustration. There are others who don't know and therefore cannot grasp that anyone could be disenchanted with life in NEPA. Taking nothing away from you, not everyone has had to fight your fight and so some of us go along, day to day, recognizing that while things are not always great here, neither are they always miserable.

OTOH, the cheerleading squad does nothing by distorting reality when it comes to answering questions from potential newbies.

I'm not much into drum circles, don't know all the words to Kumbayah and if you make me drink Kool-Aid, I'll spew. But if you're up for a thermos of coffee, Nesbitt Park is swell place to share.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times
I am so happy to read that we have some level headed people left on the board. Thank you to Theatergypsy and Jungle George for some much needed rational thought. I was born and raised in the valley but left for more than a decade and now I am back in the area for the last few years.

I am disappointed to read that a person's opinion when given is subject to judgement in such an unequal manner. I admit I can do without the heavy sarcasm and personal attacks. The beauty of a forum is that you do not have to read a post...or respond for that matter. I come on here to hear different opinions and I don't feel threatened in the least if someone holds an opposing view. In fact, when I want to learn about something, I welcome the good comments as well as the bad. How else does one get a good feel for the subject?

I admit to being somewhat of a Pollyanna and I strive to see the best in every situation. I agree that there will always be who are unhappy but unless I have been in their same position, I don't feel I have the right to judge and dismiss them as malcontents. Like it or not, those people who have been labeled as negative are as much a part of the landscape as those mountains that are so beautiful. That is true of the people that have lived here for generations and experienced the struggle the valley has gone through. I appreciate the history in the area, but there are many parts I am not proud of.

To suggest that if one is unhappy here, they should simply leave, is naive. Not everyone has the resources to do that - financially or emotionally. To me, it is like telling a person who is clinically depressed, to just lighten up.

I am hoping that everyone continues to air their opinions freely, with respect - whether it is negative or positive. Everyone has something to offer from which we can learn and I thank all of you because you have taught me quite a few things! Happy President's Day to you!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Dan, some of us know your history and certainly understand your pain and frustration. There are others who don't know and therefore cannot grasp that anyone could be disenchanted with life in NEPA. Taking nothing away from you, not everyone has had to fight your fight and so some of us go along, day to day, recognizing that while things are not always great here, neither are they always miserable.

OTOH, the cheerleading squad does nothing by distorting reality when it comes to answering questions from potential newbies.

I'm not much into drum circles, don't know all the words to Kumbayah and if you make me drink Kool-Aid, I'll spew. But if you're up for a thermos of coffee, Nesbitt Park is swell place to share.
I'd rather have the carrot, apple, beet, kale, parsley, ginger juice myself, but I can bring my own drink.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
This goes waaaaaaay beyond my issues with the city, county army corps...etc.

There is really nothing here for our youth. The area is NOT improving, if anything its sliding faster down the slippery slope.

Personally I don't like rah rah squad at all, actually that is being nice.

Its not like I have never left the area or that I'm even from here... But this endless happy train of feel good BS is getting old as well those that spew the nonsense about an area that they have only recently moved to.

Why would I yank my son away from his friends at 13 to make myself happy? That's selfish, naive and narrow minded as well as IGNORANT. Let's not forget my mother who is by herself now, she is happy and why would I leave her alone? Again ignorant and selfish to even think it after all she has done for me in my life.

Drop this liberal lovefest crap and come back to reality, then maybe I'll cut people a break.

I hate interlopers telling me what to do and how to think or feel about where I live, you don't like it? Well too bad for you, there is alot I don't like. Don't get me started.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-19-2012 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: removed vulgar comment

Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I have been personally attacked on this forum and I was the recipient of a vile pm from vamintblaster AKA PoconoPete. I suspected that he was one in the same. I also suspect that he, or his friend still is. WELUVPA, you also received a copy of this disgusting tirade.

I am not a "cheerleeder on spiked kool aid". I think that when people move to an area, or consider a move to the area, that they want information. I just try to help them. Some people who post do so because they are being transferred. Or their spouse is. So what I try to do, is to listen to their needs and direct them to an area that would be suitable.People helped me when I was first exploring the area. And I am grateful for their help. So I am returning the favor.

There are a lot of horrible places to live, and quite frankly, some of them are far worse than here.

Want an example of a place with totally no redeeming value? Shirley - Mastic - Mastic Beach NY.
Homes are three times the price of NEPA, taxes on an average home - 10,000. (3 br. 2 bath)
The schools are abominable. It's ugly. The people all seem like escapees from the witness protection program,. Land of strip malls, big hair,long fake nails with jewels in them, old tires used as garden accessories, 5 kids 5 dads, tattoo parlors and smoke shops.

And it's ugly. Flat, bland littered with garbage and scrub pines grotesquely intertwined with abandoned umbrella strollers, beer bottles and boxes of huggies.

A rental in that paradise cost $2200 a month for a three bedroom unremarkable cape cod style house on 50x100.

It's the place of last resort on LI.or where you start to build equity.

My first home was there. I made a profit but living there was awful. Honestly, if I knew about NEPA - for LESS I could have bought a better house CASH.

This is why I can't take the negativity. There are places that are worse. I lived in one for seven years and if that hell hole drops into the Atlantic - I'd be cool with that. As long as no one was hurt.

This area is really a good deal. Do you think I don't see flaws? I do. But I also see promise. That other place? No promise no hope. There was a college at the edge of town that built a campus there and wouldn't even use the name of the town "Shirley" - they called it Brookhaven Campus. And THIS was a bad college that would let anyone in. The place was pathetic really.

Oh and did I mention that for $215,000 you could get a three bedroom ranch built with particle board, builders grade carpet and the requisite plastic palladian window and shlocky chandelier, in that lovely area and for a new house your taxes will be OVER 12,000? And they have gangs, Lots of them.

So yes, I am sick of being attacked, stalked, told that I can't afford my home because my husband is dying. My husband is just fine and dandy. We really like it here as compared to Long Island.
Incidentally, we are originally from the North Shore, and we have no accent. Closer to Connecticut than Jersey Shore, geographically, and atmospherically.

I just wish that there was less animosity on this forum and less hate.
The direct message sent by varmint blaster was vile. No normal person would spew such hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania