Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 07:48 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Well, I've been reading your posts for a long time. You don't seem a fussy person who tries to impress others.
No, I am not, fussy, and don't really care who likes me or not...LOL, never did, and you don't either...you seem very down to earth and easy going...actually most people in this thread seem to be so...very likable easy going persons....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:17 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No, I am not, fussy, and don't really care who likes me or not...LOL, never did, and you don't either...you seem very down to earth and easy going...actually most people in this thread seem to be so...very likable easy going persons....lol
No, I usually don't, but sometimes I feel a bit hurt when people on C-D think I'm mean because I don't adequately express how I feel. In other words, if I had to write something clever or eloquent to save my life, I'd be dead by now.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
No, I usually don't, but sometimes I feel a bit hurt when people on C-D think I'm mean because I don't adequately express how I feel. In other words, if I had to write something clever or eloquent to save my life, I'd be dead by now.
yeah, me to....that bothers me, it seems I am never able to get my point across, and people do take me to be snarky or hard core....sometimes I try so hard not to offend anyone and you still do, even when you don't realize you are? It's tough...all you can do is apologize and move on and thank them for pointing it out to you.

So, all this news yesterday about those bombs....really really disturbing...I'm an introvert, and it really makes me not only want to withdraw completely from politics, but to back off from people even more...it's surely a different world, not safe any longer.

Two nights ago, I was driving home and there is this sharp corner you have to go around, and traffic coming the opposite way tend to turn the corner way to sharply and end up in your lane. Well, thankfully I'm aware of this and usually slow down to make certain someone doesn't hit me head on...this middle aged woman comes around that corner, in my lane, in a big SUV and almost hit me. I came to a complete stop, and was in such a state of shock, that I didn't even have time to honk my horn. She never saw it happen, you know why, she was looking down at her phone, and by the time she probably looked up again, she was already past me? I just cannot believe the stupid stuff people do...it's a complete lack of concern for others and how you could change their lives forever, and not for the good.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:09 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
yeah, me to....that bothers me, it seems I am never able to get my point across, and people do take me to be snarky or hard core....sometimes I try so hard not to offend anyone and you still do, even when you don't realize you are? It's tough...all you can do is apologize and move on and thank them for pointing it out to you.

So, all this news yesterday about those bombs....really really disturbing...I'm an introvert, and it really makes me not only want to withdraw completely from politics, but to back off from people even more...it's surely a different world, not safe any longer.

Two nights ago, I was driving home and there is this sharp corner you have to go around, and traffic coming the opposite way tend to turn the corner way to sharply and end up in your lane. Well, thankfully I'm aware of this and usually slow down to make certain someone doesn't hit me head on...this middle aged woman comes around that corner, in my lane, in a big SUV and almost hit me. I came to a complete stop, and was in such a state of shock, that I didn't even have time to honk my horn. She never saw it happen, you know why, she was looking down at her phone, and by the time she probably looked up again, she was already past me? I just cannot believe the stupid stuff people do...it's a complete lack of concern for others and how you could change their lives forever, and not for the good.
Besides the cellphones and texting; we do have a drug epidemic. It is very wise to drive with that in mind. You never know what to expect on our roads. We become complacent because we have driven so many miles and nothing ever happens and then that one driver, on drugs or on a cellphone, does not realize they are coming right at us!

I live on a rural road that has very little traffic. The one day I was going to pull out my driveway and I looked to the left and did not look good to my right. I was making a right turn and just expected that my lane would be clear. There was a big rig driving right down the middle of the road and coming right at me! I did stop before he ran over my front bumper. I am now more cautious even on my unused back roads. You never really know what will happen next.

Glad that you're safe!

Old 10-25-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Besides the cellphones and texting; we do have a drug epidemic. It is very wise to drive with that in mind. You never know what to expect on our roads. We become complacent because we have driven so many miles and nothing ever happens and then that one driver, on drugs or on a cellphone, does not realize they are coming right at us!

I live on a rural road that has very little traffic. The one day I was going to pull out my driveway and I looked to the left and did not look good to my right. I was making a right turn and just expected that my lane would be clear. There was a big rig driving right down the middle of the road and coming right at me! I did stop before he ran over my front bumper. I am now more cautious even on my unused back roads. You never really know what will happen next.

Glad that you're safe!
you know what Fisheye, that is good advice, I drive across country and have never seen the stuff I see going back and forth to work every day...crazy....

just this past week, I was going to work, it was dark, but my headlights were on high and I saw a buck along side the road...waiting...so I slowed down...and some guy passes me? Afterwards I blinked my lights at the oncoming traffic to slow them down a bit...because he was standing around a curve so oncoming traffic couldn't see him.

Good Lord, what a close call you had...I'm glad it all turned out ok, but you just want to shake some of these drivers...driving way too fast, under the influence, and distracted driving, they are nuts...

thanks so much for the advice.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Glad that you're safe!
The only time I've ever been hit was on a quiet country road. There were no other cars in sight. I could see for a mile or so in three directions from that little 2 way stop intersection. To my right, there was a short hill with a curve at the top. The other driver handled the curve, but stopped watching the road after that. After all, there were no other cars on the road. I started through the the intersection, saw the car (fast) approaching, and made a hard turn to the left. I would have been T-boned if I hadn't.

The young woman who hit me had eye shadow on one lid and quickly offered to call 911 when I suggested it. Everything in my car was all over the place. I couldn't find my phone. I guess if I were a brighter person I'd figure out how my coffee cup ended up on the back seat. She told me that she had been in a hurry to meet a friend for a rare and special day out. Oh, well.

I got the ticket. It was my fault.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
The only time I've ever been hit was on a quiet country road. There were no other cars in sight. I could see for a mile or so in three directions from that little 2 way stop intersection. To my right, there was a short hill with a curve at the top. The other driver handled the curve, but stopped watching the road after that. After all, there were no other cars on the road. I started through the the intersection, saw the car (fast) approaching, and made a hard turn to the left. I would have been T-boned if I hadn't.

The young woman who hit me had eye shadow on one lid and quickly offered to call 911 when I suggested it. Everything in my car was all over the place. I couldn't find my phone. I guess if I were a brighter person I'd figure out how my coffee cup ended up on the back seat. She told me that she had been in a hurry to meet a friend for a rare and special day out. Oh, well.

are you kidding me? Yo got the ticket?

I guess that was a very rare and special day out for her....

Old 10-25-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:

When I was young I had many tickets that I deserved. But the first ticket I ever got I did not deserve. I was on a small motorcycle and the man approaching me never saw me and made a left turn right into me. The sun was in his eyes. Fortunately we were not going that fast and he did apply his breaks as well as I applied mine before the collision. I ended up on his hood with my hands on his windshield and I was holding up (what used to be) my new motorcycle with my feet. I was not hurt bad; just sore and we pulled off on the side of the road and called the police. They promptly came out and gave me a ticket - the man that hit me was an off duty ambulance driver that the policeman knew! I did get the ticket thrown out in court with good pictures and a witness. But it was still a pain.

After a string of tickets I then went 50 years without one and the streak is still going.

As a truck driver I saw many bad accidents. I had a friend that was split in half and died instantly from a flying truck tire. The lug nuts were never tightened on another rig going the opposite direction. On another occasion I had a partner that was getting out our truck and a 2X4X8 went flying by his head at 65 mph - it came off a lumber truck passing us and it only missed his head by six inches. I have been on I-95 going south and have witnessed tires coming off house trailers and flying across the highway into oncoming traffic. Most motorist did not even slow down to avoid them (they had no idea of the danger they were in).

I once saw the aftermath of what happens when a little red sportscar hits a set of tandem wheels at 85 mph. It is one good reason why nobody should ever tailgate a big rig; not even another truck. Many of the trailers have a sliding set of rear wheels to distribute the weight if they are overweight. However, if the pins, that hold them from sliding, are not locked in; the whole set can come flying out the back when the driver hits the breaks. The year I saw the little red sportscar hit the set I also saw four other accidents involving the flying set of tandems. Fortunately nobody else died.

Roads are a dangerous place and it pays to know the dangers and always look ahead.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
are you kidding me? Yo got the ticket?

I guess that was a very rare and special day out for her....

She didn't have a stop sign. I did. There were no witnesses. Obviously, it was my fault. I don't know why the officers even bothered to ask me what happened.

I went to that intersection and took pictures to show the court prosecutor how that accident could happen. He found that amusing and said, "This is going to be a good story". The officer behind him noted that my citation was written be the 'safety officer' whatever that was.

One of the best parts was the ride away from the accident and being dropped off. When I called my husband to tell him what happened, he told me he'd be there as soon as he could, but he was more than an hour away. After the young woman's father had picked her up and they got tired of waiting around, Mr. Safety Officer asks where he can drop me off because, you know, they had to go and fight crime in another part of town. There was a convenience store a couple of miles down the road, and I said that I was freezing--rainy October morning--and could use a cup of coffee in a warm place with a bathroom. That would do.

When I got there, it took me a few minutes to realize that everyone was keeping their distance. A guy by the coffee decided that he didn't want any, and the checker wouldn't make eye contact. I was a bit puzzled until I realized that I'd gotten out of the back of a police car just a few minutes before. Great.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:27 PM

I am still trying to get rid of my white pine. I also have some other firewood if anybody is interested that lives close enough to me. It's free; I am not selling it. But you would have to load it yourself unless I get back my backhoe and then I could help. Just DM me if anybody is interested. The pine should only burn in an outside wood furnace. I am also trying to see if I can find a small sawmill that would cut it into lumber. So if anybody knows of a small mill in my area; let me know. Most sawmill will not take just a few trees. But there are individuals with portable sawmills - I just don't know of any offhand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania