Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 02:10 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I like to spread the cheer!
By 6:00 PM it is supposed to turn over to a wintery mix and maybe around 10:00 PM to rain? Of course much of that depends on altitude. Tomorrow is supposed to go up to 40 degrees and with ground that was not that cold; maybe it will all melt in a hurry?

Don't worry about sharing your snow with me; I'm fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 03:09 PM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
By 6:00 PM it is supposed to turn over to a wintery mix and maybe around 10:00 PM to rain? Of course much of that depends on altitude. Tomorrow is supposed to go up to 40 degrees and with ground that was not that cold; maybe it will all melt in a hurry?

Don't worry about sharing your snow with me; I'm fine!

snow or snow/sleet until 8AM, then tapering off. High near 40 so maybe it'll melt.

Shoveled part of the driveway around 4. Had a bout 2-3 inches then.

If this snow were mine, I'd send it to southern CA.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
snow or snow/sleet until 8AM, then tapering off. High near 40 so maybe it'll melt.

Shoveled part of the driveway around 4. Had a bout 2-3 inches then.

If this snow were mine, I'd send it to southern CA.
I plowed about five inches at 4:30 or 5:00 this afternoon. I wanted to leave some snow behind so that I can plow off any ice with the snow later or tomorrow morning. It's so much easier to get rid of the ice than having to deal with it by itself. It's still snowing pretty good and our change over to a mix should happen around 9:00 this evening. We are not supposed to have just rain until 4:00 AM and then it will turn back to snow for a short time.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:26 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
I plowed about five inches at 4:30 or 5:00 this afternoon. I wanted to leave some snow behind so that I can plow off any ice with the snow later or tomorrow morning. It's so much easier to get rid of the ice than having to deal with it by itself. It's still snowing pretty good and our change over to a mix should happen around 9:00 this evening. We are not supposed to have just rain until 4:00 AM and then it will turn back to snow for a short time.
It never turned to rain outside of JT. My other half tells me there's nearly a foot down and still snowing. And of course our community has yet to plow. They bid it out and every year the same guy gets the contract. He stinks; he's slow to get out there, many roads go unplowed or get only one pass. He also consistently drops snow piles at the top of my driveway. Go 5 feet either way, pal and dump it in the drainage ditch.

I didn't even bother trying to come home last night. I checked Waze at 3:30 and it was nearly 6 hours. That was before the GWB was shut down and parts of 80 through Jersey. My cousin in E. Stroudsburg left Westchester county at 4p and got home at 3am. 33 was shut down for hours.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
It never turned to rain outside of JT. My other half tells me there's nearly a foot down and still snowing. And of course our community has yet to plow. They bid it out and every year the same guy gets the contract. He stinks; he's slow to get out there, many roads go unplowed or get only one pass. He also consistently drops snow piles at the top of my driveway. Go 5 feet either way, pal and dump it in the drainage ditch.

I didn't even bother trying to come home last night. I checked Waze at 3:30 and it was nearly 6 hours. That was before the GWB was shut down and parts of 80 through Jersey. My cousin in E. Stroudsburg left Westchester county at 4p and got home at 3am. 33 was shut down for hours.
My neighbors had a funeral to go to today down in Bethlehem. They went down yesterday before the snow; but I am sure it was still very hard to get around down there today.

I had my plow mounted and was prepared. I sprayed my snow shovels with silicon (so the snow slides off); which was a great help this morning with the wet snow. I did not go out until 7:00 AM and I measured 8" on the hood of my one car. It could have been much deeper since the freezing rain could have compacted the snow by that time. I did see it snowing when I looked out at about 4:00 AM. Anyway; I am clear now and anything left behind should melt. I even used my roof rake a little on the valleys on my roof - I would rather not take a chance.

Do you own or have ever used a roof rake? Maybe you have never had problems? It's pretty easy to just pull off the snow over the unheated soffits where the water freezes and makes ice dams.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:50 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
My neighbors had a funeral to go to today down in Bethlehem. They went down yesterday before the snow; but I am sure it was still very hard to get around down there today.

I had my plow mounted and was prepared. I sprayed my snow shovels with silicon (so the snow slides off); which was a great help this morning with the wet snow. I did not go out until 7:00 AM and I measured 8" on the hood of my one car. It could have been much deeper since the freezing rain could have compacted the snow by that time. I did see it snowing when I looked out at about 4:00 AM. Anyway; I am clear now and anything left behind should melt. I even used my roof rake a little on the valleys on my roof - I would rather not take a chance.

Do you own or have ever used a roof rake? Maybe you have never had problems? It's pretty easy to just pull off the snow over the unheated soffits where the water freezes and makes ice dams.
I went out last night to shovel and probably had about 4 inches, then this morning around 9:30 went out to shovel what still came down yesterday, about 3 more inches, although I believe I had 10 inches on the car...crazy?

I don't believe Penn Dot was ready for this or took it seriously....I'm so thankful I have the best boss who allows me to work from home...not many went in thank goodness.....

All the roads around here were jammed up to...accidents, and people sliding everywhere, they were angry...I bet this won't happen again for the rest of this year....and Penn Dot's phones are most likely ringing off the hooks...

I hope no one was hurt......the accidents were unbelievable.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I went out last night to shovel and probably had about 4 inches, then this morning around 9:30 went out to shovel what still came down yesterday, about 3 more inches, although I believe I had 10 inches on the car...crazy?

I don't believe Penn Dot was ready for this or took it seriously....I'm so thankful I have the best boss who allows me to work from home...not many went in thank goodness.....

All the roads around here were jammed up to...accidents, and people sliding everywhere, they were angry...I bet this won't happen again for the rest of this year....and Penn Dot's phones are most likely ringing off the hooks...

I hope no one was hurt......the accidents were unbelievable.
The wind was pretty strong this morning so I checked the PP&L outage map (https://omap.prod.pplweb.com/omap). There were and still are thousands without power; but it is the western part of the PP&L territory from Carlisle to Williamsport. I have to wonder if that was because of snow, ice or wind?

These wet snows are slippery. I even had a little trouble with my plow truck. Fortunately I plow down my hill first. With drier snows I can plow going back up; but with this snow I had to go back up the path I plowed down the hill. I have an 18 degree grade 300' long. If worse comes to worse I have a set of tire chains I can put on - but I don't like to do that because of damage to the driveway.

PennDOT always hits the interstate first, then the primary secondary roads, and after all that - then you!

With the first snowfall all the all-wheel and four-wheel drive vehicles have to get involved in accidents just to show the 2-wheel drive vehicles that it's possible!

Old 11-16-2018, 10:24 AM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
yea. I think that's what's called a crash course in reality.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:36 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
The wind was pretty strong this morning so I checked the PP&L outage map (https://omap.prod.pplweb.com/omap). There were and still are thousands without power; but it is the western part of the PP&L territory from Carlisle to Williamsport. I have to wonder if that was because of snow, ice or wind?

These wet snows are slippery. I even had a little trouble with my plow truck. Fortunately I plow down my hill first. With drier snows I can plow going back up; but with this snow I had to go back up the path I plowed down the hill. I have an 18 degree grade 300' long. If worse comes to worse I have a set of tire chains I can put on - but I don't like to do that because of damage to the driveway.

PennDOT always hits the interstate first, then the primary secondary roads, and after all that - then you!

With the first snowfall all the all-wheel and four-wheel drive vehicles have to get involved in accidents just to show the 2-wheel drive vehicles that it's possible!
penn dot says, the problem with yesterday is all the early dismissals from 1- - 12 caused the problem, it turned loose all these people on unplowed roads, and if tractor trailers get stuck, everyone behind them gets stuck, and the plows cannot get thru.....makes sense. had no problem cleaning the car off this a.m. when the sun came out...

Old 11-16-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
penn dot says, the problem with yesterday is all the early dismissals from 1- - 12 caused the problem, it turned loose all these people on unplowed roads, and if tractor trailers get stuck, everyone behind them gets stuck, and the plows cannot get thru.....makes sense. had no problem cleaning the car off this a.m. when the sun came out...
Years ago they tried to accommodate the schools and now they want the schools to accommodate PennDOT. Of course the only true answer is what is the safest for the kids. What time did they dismiss the schools yesterday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania