Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM

343 posts, read 603,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
It was such a gorgeous day today in the Poconos. Has anyone noticed the changing of the leaves?
Yes, there seems to be an early start this year with the hot summer we have.
Lots of yellow colors along the highway.
But, I don't want to rush into fall......Summer is my favorite time.
Today I painted the deck rail ( just to be outside)........Hubby worked on the weeds that seem to love living here on the mountain.
One of the feral cats came and cuddled up on the glider....even with us right there. I think he was enjoying the beautiful day too. He knows his name, bandit......( Smokey is his sister).....
I feel fall in the air......but.........I hope it waits just a bit more. Not ready yet. Nope!

Hi Summering. Yes, I have noticed the leaves changing and it is depressing! It is too soon for this. I am a summer lover myself. I went to the Harford Fair today and it was absolutely beautiful weather for a fair. I love that fair and have been going since I was a kid. Winter just seems to last too long around here, so the longer summer can stay, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:15 PM

234 posts, read 939,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
It was such a gorgeous day today in the Poconos. Has anyone noticed the changing of the leaves?
Yes, there seems to be an early start this year with the hot summer we have.
Lots of yellow colors along the highway.
But, I don't want to rush into fall......Summer is my favorite time.
Don't worry - fall isn't here just yet.

There was a story in the Pocono Record a few days ago. It explained that the trees are so stressed from hot, dry weather that the leaves are changing color and falling off earlier than usual.

There won't be any autumn colors to speak of this year - most of the leaves will be long gone by the time it starts to get cooler.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Oh good golly.........You mean no reds, or yellow or orange.
It sure was stressful for the trees to have that high heat and not much rain. Along the highway the yellows and browns are so noticeable.
Wonder how the pumpkins will be this fall........how did this effect them?
I have to admit anyhow, that I loved this summer. Lots of days for swimming and having glorious sunshine.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM

Got soaked at the West End Fair. But, before the down pour started we managed to see everything.
We were looking for the other RV vendor....... Loved seeing the Jonas stove being saved.
The woodcarver is always a joy....and the singing a delight.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
The fair was a good time, Summering. If you go past Paddy Kenny's up by Sierra View, you will see the trees right behind it to be orange and red.

I'm one of those people who feels the change of seasons in their bones, and I felt that fall began a week before the fair. While the days are still a bit hot, you can feel that autumn chill as soon as the sun starts to set...for me there has just been a change of atmosphere... I can't explain it.
I thought in early summer that fall would be early, because of how my garden grew. A lot of my flowers bloomed and died off early.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:01 PM

Hi there Ms Pocono......... I am very interested in trying that Paddy Kenny's. Have you been there?
Did you like the menu and the restaurant in general?
I know it..........I have traveled up to Scranton and back a few times. Along the turnpike and up the way...so many dead leaves, some completely brown.
I will feel the fall in my bones very soon, believe me....the same problem here.
Guess what our Tammy won the table from the granite people. It is very nice, and so solid. We picked it up today.
I think I should be hearing fireworks soon........any minute now, as the fair closes.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 AM

The Blue Ridge ( Saylorsburg) Flea Market was fantastic this weekend. Would you believe Saturdays items were different totally( or almost) from Sundays vendors.
Saturday was fun and we got a brand new drill press for just $25..........Great buy.
Sunday we left with some really fun buys.
Two very perfect flea market days. I had avoided heading there in the high humidity days.......
It was fun to explore again. Great times in the Poconos....

Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Kinda sad, sad, we have 1255 lookers......and no talkers.....Geez......

Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 PM

343 posts, read 603,940 times
Hi Summering,

OK, I'll talk. I am savoring every bit of this weather before things go downhill. I like your quote, "Summer Stay." I hope it sticks around for awhile.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,507 times
My wife, from the South, is anxiously waiting for the fall. To her, it has seemed like it's been so hot for this far north. She did live in Chicago one year. It seems, finally, that today will be the last hot day unless there is another heat wave. The weather report shows highs only in the 70's for the next several days. So for her, that may be good news, but unless global warming is a factor, it should be a lot cooler from now on. I used to live up north of Binghamton NY in the 80's and I remember we had one summer that was so cool, it never broke out of the 70's even in July, and was mostly in the 40's at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania