Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2024, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 1,207 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Moving to Hawley, luckily, house isn't in an HOA and has municipal water and sewer. My realtor gave me some info on the water supply but I'm a bit confused; one provider is Aqua Utilities, the other is Hawley Area Authority, not sure which one to go with.

Other than that, has anyone shopped around for electric rates or does everyone just stick with PPL? Anyone have any experience with Bunnell waste removal? I see a lot of folks have their bins around here as opposed to WM.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Hawley Area Authority, a municipal utility, takes care of sewage. Water is provided by Aqua PA, a subsidiary of "Essential Utilities," a company traded on the stock exchange. If you wanted, you could drill a well and install a septic system and avoid paying for water and sewer but it's better to stick with the utilities serving your new home.

It is easy to switch your electric generation supplier. PPL will remain the distribution utility. See below.

https://www.papowerswitch.com/

Does your home have natural gas available? Natural gas service in that area is spotty.

Old 02-09-2024, 07:14 AM

I was looking for a house specifically on municipal water/sewer; grew up with septic and well and then had a house with septic and well and just don't want to be bothered. No gas line to the house but I reached out to UGI and they said they could run a line. I'm on the fence about it though. On the one hand I could install a gas tankless water heater but I might just put an 85 gallon heat pump hybrid in the basement.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:43 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Did UGI quote you a price for running a gas line to your property? What type of heating system does the house have, forced air, hot water baseboard or individual heaters? And what is the fuel?

Natural gas is your best fuel. Where are you coming from? Apparently you've been listening to the wackos in New York, New Jersey and New England who want to eliminate the use of natural gas and substitute foot stomping to keep warm.

Old 02-10-2024, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Did UGI quote you a price for running a gas line to your property? What type of heating system does the house have, forced air, hot water baseboard or individual heaters? And what is the fuel?

Natural gas is your best fuel. Where are you coming from? Apparently you've been listening to the wackos in New York, New Jersey and New England who want to eliminate the use of natural gas and substitute foot stomping to keep warm.
They told me to reach back out for a quote after closing. I've got a multi-zone heat pump, baseboards, a propane stove and a fireplace (which I might put an pellet stove insert into at some point). Pretty sure it'll be a few thousand bucks at the least. It's a small house, heating is on overkill mode in here.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion about wackos in NY. I'm not opposed to natural gas in the least. In fact, it'd free up some landscaping space in the yard by getting rid of the propane tank which is only used for the propane stove. I'm just on the fence between a hybrid water tank (which is like $3,000 for an 85 gallon model) or running the natural gas line and putting a tankless water heater in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: