Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

I wanted to say that Route 22, through the ABE area; is the spawning ground for left lane road hogs. Because of the amount of traffic that merges and exits; thru traffic favors the left lane. I used to try to stay out there with my 58 to 62 MPH Big R trucks. Especially; if I was around the mall in Allentown. If you are in a car; you can keep up to traffic and everything keeps moving. Six lanes, through this busy corridor, would greatly improve that commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Should, should, should. I would say 9/10 times that I drive, I am tailgated when I am going the posted speed limit to 5 miles above.
The reason why you're getting tailgating 9/10 times is because you're going slower than the flow of traffic. Yet, I can't get mad with you because you're just trying to comply with the law and avoid a ticket. If the speed limit was raised to 65, then you'll still be able to comply with the law AND go with the flow of traffic. You'll see the tailgating decrease dramatically
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I do not think 5-7 miles over the posted speed limit is dangerous. 15 miles over? Oh hell yes.
That depends on whether the posted speed is reasonable or not. For example, the ramp from southbound I-81 to the Cross Valley Expy (Exit 170, PA-309) is posted at 25 MPH, yet that ramp is wide enough that most people do 45-55 MPH. See the picture here, complete with 25 MPH sign.
18702 - Google Maps

Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
But I am not going slower than the flow of traffic. It's usually just one a-hole tailgating EVERYONE. He or she will tailgate me, pass, then tailgate the next person, then pass, etc.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 AM

177 posts, read 467,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
If the speed limit was raised to 65, then you'll still be able to comply with the law AND go with the flow of traffic. You'll see the tailgating decrease dramatically
I really have to disagree with you here. When was the last time you drove RT80 into and back from NY...especially during the morning and afternoon commutes? The posted speed limit is 65 in most of NJ, but many motorists do 65-75, and some do 75-85. The same is true for the stretch of RT380 where the posted speed limit is 65.

No matter what the limit is, you always have a good core of those who will do the 10 miles above since the cops usually won't stop you, and the knuckleheads (more and more of them) who will push the 75-85 limit.

And, despite the speeding you also have weaving, lack of signal use and very aggressive driving by many drivers on our highways today.

Now, you can't always blame this on the person chugging along at 55. Someone doing 80 will tend to tailgate and want to pass someone doing 75. The person doing 75 will want to pass the person doing 70. And the person doing 85, well, he's just a freakin nut case.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
New Jersey did a study after raising the speed limit to 65. Here are some of the key sections of that report:

18 Month Study Report on 65 MPH Speed Limit in New Jersey
Quote:
Average increase in travel speeds of 1 mph, on the various roadway sections in the 65 MPH zones, with the exception of the Turnpike which increased 3-4 mph, on various segments. The "after" speeds on the Turnpike ranged from 63 to 68 MPH, falling in line with the "after" speeds on the other state highways.

Fatalities decreased 9.6% and fatal accidents decreased 7.9% in the 65 MPH zones over a similar 18-month period prior to the study period.

Reported accidents increased 18.3% in the 65 MPH zones over a similar 18-month period prior to the study period. Adjacent 55 MPH zones had slightly higher increases in the number of reported accidents than the 65 MPH zones during a similar time period.
Bolded emphasis is mine.

The first item is important, since it debunks the myth that raising the speed limit will cause people to automatically drive faster. The average speed increased by 1-4 MPH, which means that people kept driving the same way they were driving before.

The least that the state can do is raise the speed limit to 65 and conduct a study. If people suddenly go berserk and start doing 85-100 MPH, then revert back to 55. BTW, a couple of months ago, someone put a 65 MPH sign by mistake in a construction zone going southbound near the Moosic exit. Well, nothing happened.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
New Jersey did a study after raising the speed limit to 65. Here are some of the key sections of that report:

18 Month Study Report on 65 MPH Speed Limit in New Jersey
Bolded emphasis is mine.

The first item is important, since it debunks the myth that raising the speed limit will cause people to automatically drive faster. The average speed increased by 1-4 MPH, which means that people kept driving the same way they were driving before.

The least that the state can do is raise the speed limit to 65 and conduct a study. If people suddenly go berserk and start doing 85-100 MPH, then revert back to 55. BTW, a couple of months ago, someone put a 65 MPH sign by mistake in a construction zone going southbound near the Moosic exit. Well, nothing happened.
Trucker7,
Do you remember the 55 on Route 33 south of Windgap? It wasn’t too long ago. The police were constantly giving out tickets. Since they increased the speed limit to 65 I don’t think they patrol as much. I also don’t think the average speed changed? I do know that we are killing off more than our share of motorist in Monroe County; on the 55 MPH section of Route 33.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Pretty much what I've been saying through this entire thread, it's not the speed that causes accidents but poor driving habits. As for me if they increased it up to about 80 or 85 I'd be happy. That's my comfort zone and I wouldn't even have to look at speedometer to know I was traveling in it.

Quote:
and the knuckleheads (more and more of them) who will push the 75-85 limit.
The Interstates are designed for those speeds and as long as you have decent pavement you can safely travel that fast. I wouldn't put the label "knucklehead" on someone driving that fast unless they were doing it in an unsafe manner. I'll travel that fast when there isn't much traffic but I do it safely.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The Interstates are designed for those speeds and as long as you have decent pavement you can safely travel that fast. I wouldn't put the label "knucklehead" on someone driving that fast unless they were doing it in an unsafe manner. I'll travel that fast when there isn't much traffic but I do it safely.
I mentioned in the beginning of my post that I was talking about the morning and afternoon commutes. That is probably the worst time to be zipping in and out trying to do over 75.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
No matter what the speed limit is, there are plenty of morons on the road. The use of the latest electronic gadgets they play with makes it even worse.

In highly congested areas, lower speed limits make sense. I know this thread is about the WB-Scranton I81 corridor, but another stretch that is even more dangerous do to inconsiderate drivers is the I80 stretch from Tannersville to the Water Gap (with a 50mph limit).

I drive that stretch daily both directions through Stroudsburg and I stay in the left lane going with the flow of traffic because the drivers entering from the on ramps jump into traffic like kamakazis with no regard for others. Most are too busy texting messages instead of looking at their mirrors to safely merge.

On occaison I will get a tailgater like Reston on my butt who feels the need to draft my rear bumper, even though there is another vehicle about 6 car lebgths in front of me. Where they think they are going is beyond my comprehension.

For those tailgating jokers, they get 2 quick flashes of the brake lights as a warning to back off.
No hand signals, no bird in the rear view mirror.

The last joker in a litle rice burner car that I could barely see over my trunk lid ignored the first two warnings and attempted a bump draft.

Boy, was he surprised by my vehicles ability to rapidly deccelerate. The screech of his brakes and the subsequent scraping of his front fender on the concrete barrier finally got his attention.

Darn shame...

Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
For those tailgating jokers, they get 2 quick flashes of the brake lights as a warning to back off.
No hand signals, no bird in the rear view mirror.

The last joker in a litle rice burner car that I could barely see over my trunk lid ignored the first two warnings and attempted a bump draft.

Boy, was he surprised by my vehicles ability to rapidly deccelerate. The screech of his brakes and the subsequent scraping of his front fender on the concrete barrier finally got his attention.

Darn shame...
Now, that's dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania