Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:28 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times

Advertisements

For those of you who think that doing 70 isn't really all that different than 55:

http://www.science.org.au/nova/058/058key.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,765,667 times
I think people that tailgate in the left lane trying to move the car over so they can whip by going 70-80 miles an hour should be heavily ticketed and maybe suspended for 3 months, that would teach them to chill out and slow the hell down.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I think people that tailgate in the left lane trying to move the car over so they can whip by going 70-80 miles an hour should be heavily ticketed and maybe suspended for 3 months, that would teach them to chill out and slow the hell down.
As should people who drive 55 in the passing lane while passing no one....and people who slam their brakes and rubberneck whenever something is going on in the opposite lanes.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I've seen people in the left lane going way faster than 70 mph, like i said, most people think it's a ticket to go as fast as they want to and that is dangerous, and tailgating is very dangerous and so many people do it. Where is everyone going that they are in such a hurry, you'll get there, chill the hell out on the interstate and there will be alot less accidents,,,,,,,,jeessshhh.
How do you know what is going on with the tailgater? Maybe they're rushing a sick kid to the hospital, you just never know....and you have the Sunday drivers with the cruise control locked in at 55 in the passing lane holding them up.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Isn't passing on the right totally and utterly illegal??
Not if you have someone in front of you in the left lane who is NOT passing. It IS illegal to drive in the left lane unless you are passing or getting off of a left exit.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,164,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
How do you know what is going on with the tailgater? Maybe they're rushing a sick kid to the hospital, you just never know....and you have the Sunday drivers with the cruise control locked in at 55 in the passing lane holding them up.
I learned that lesson a little over 10 years ago when I was trying to 'teach a lesson' to the idiot that was tailgating me and honking their horn. When they finally passed, I saw that they were carrying a child with blood all over his face. I felt like human excrement. That was the last time that I decided to 'teach someone a lesson'.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,795,636 times
Quote:
Isn't passing on the right totally and utterly illegal??
I believe it is and it's a death wish if you pass a truck on the right however I'm not going to travel for who knows how many miles because some idiot doesn't know where he/she belongs. This is one of the most frustrating things I encounter on the highway. I'm also pretty sure they passed a law a while ago that traveling in the passing lane is illegal too. What needs to be done is heavy ticketing of those in the passing lane, once those nitwits understand they don't belong there you will eliminate most of the passing on the right. They should also go after those passing on the right in a very unsafe manner, specifically those weaving in and out of lanes.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:39 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,795,636 times
Quote:
For those of you who think that doing 70 isn't really all that different than 55:

Physics of speed-Key text
While faster speeds are more lethal speed is not the cause of accidents necessarily. I linked to an article earlier where the fatalities doubled when they added a speed limit in Montana. Enforcing safe driving habits is more important at preventing accidents than speed enforcement.

You need to adjust your habits when traveling faster, more distance between you and the other cars for starters. If everyone drove like me you could safely drive the interstate at 90+. I'd say faster but they aren't rated for much higher, 100+ on the Turnpike with newer pavement. Most people don't realize the turnpike is designed for extreme speeds.

As I mentioned earlier the Autobahn has no speed limit in sections and has similar fatality rates to US interstates. The reason for that is heavy enforcement of safe driving practices like no traveling in the passing lane. That road like the turnpike is also designed for those speeds and maintained very well.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 AM

177 posts, read 464,889 times
From the PA Driver's Manual - page 38