Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I learned that lesson a little over 10 years ago when I was trying to 'teach a lesson' to the idiot that was tailgating me and honking their horn. When they finally passed, I saw that they were carrying a child with blood all over his face. I felt like human excrement. That was the last time that I decided to 'teach someone a lesson'.

Sorry, but they should have called 911. One - get to the hospital faster. Two - administered medical care on the way. Three - quicker response time upon arrival at hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:06 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,760 times
I think we would have less accidents if everyone did one simple thing; be a courteous driver. Remember those days. If some is going fast in the passing lane and you are not if it is safe to move over...do it. If you are already on the highway and there is merge to get on and the left lane is open, move. If you are having a bad day, keep it to yourself and not take it out on complete strangers. If you are concerned because of an accident or a broke down vehicle, stop and help ( if safe to do) instead of using it as daily enterainment. If you feel someone is driving recklessly...slow down, speed up what ever you have to do to create a safety zone for YOUR vehicle. If you are that concerned call 911. If you are out for a sunday drive, and traffic is building up behind you, pull over and let them pass.

I have never seen so many self-appointed leo's on road ways till I moved here...if I am not endangering your safety how fast I chose to go or not to go is none of anyones business. Lastly, since it has been proven over and over and over again, that talking on a hand held cell phone and the crazy idea of texting while driving should be made illegal with heavy penalites.
If you are so important to your family, employer, whatever that the time you spend in the car YOU HAVE TO TALK, get a darn headset. In my senior year of college, a group of us "non traditional students" had to make a presentation to convince others of our way of thinking. This was 1998, we presnted C.R. A.P. cell phone really annoy people. We did about three seperate "commericals " on video...we included one on drving and cell use and staged an accident. WELL, you would have thought by the reaction of our "college aged" classmates we had peed on the cross. OUTRAGE is an understatement. As time has shown, 3 women studing for their BS were ahead of their time! lol

BTW...when you see the middle aged woman rocking out to her music at the traffic light, its me so, smile, wave and join in! Happy Motoring...

Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
How do you know what is going on with the tailgater? Maybe they're rushing a sick kid to the hospital, you just never know....and you have the Sunday drivers with the cruise control locked in at 55 in the passing lane holding them up.
Well if their kid is that sick that they have to tailgate and act like a jackass on the interstate, maybe they should of called 911 for an ambulance or if they were out in the car and their kid got sick, then maybe they should pull over and call 911 after they pulled over. Tailgating and speeding just might send them all to the hospital.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Well if their kid is that sick that they have to tailgate and act like a jackass on the interstate, maybe they should of called 911 for an ambulance or if they were out in the car and their kid got sick, then maybe they should pull over and call 911 after they pulled over. Tailgating and speeding just might send them all to the hospital.

Not to mention others who have to "just deal with it" on the road.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Not to mention others who have to "just deal with it" on the road.
Exactly

Old 08-08-2010, 12:08 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Quote:
I've seen way too many tailgaters to believe that even half have TRUE emergencies.
You know what? If people like you wouldn't be slow peddling in the left lane (aka the passing lane) then these situations would be moot. People wanting to go faster, for whatever reason, could do so if people had the respect to obey the passing lane laws. Honestly if you are doing 50 in a passing lane in a 55 mph zone get the heck over and drive slow in the right lane. It's very selfish and against the law.

I just love how people **** and moan about laws "being broken" that are a product of their own ignorance or refusal to obey certain laws (being in the left passing lane without passing or turning). People would do much less tailgating if people would use the passing lane for exactly what it was created for......passing/faster traffic. If you'd be in the right lane in the first place then the tailgating wouldn't be occurring in the left passing lane.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
You know what? If people like you wouldn't be slow peddling in the left lane (aka the passing lane) then these situations would be moot. People wanting to go faster, for whatever reason, could do so if people had the respect to obey the passing lane laws. Honestly if you are doing 50 in a passing lane in a 55 mph zone get the heck over and drive slow in the right lane. It's very selfish and against the law.

I just love how people **** and moan about laws "being broken" that are a product of their own ignorance or refusal to obey certain laws (being in the left passing lane without passing or turning). People would do much less tailgating if people would use the passing lane for exactly what it was created for......passing/faster traffic. If you'd be in the right lane in the first place then the tailgating wouldn't be occurring in the left passing lane.

I don't slow peddle in the passing lane. I go between the speed limit and 5 miles above in the right lane. It's very selfish and against the law to fly in the left lane. The left lane is NOT license to go however fast you want to.

You cannot defend tailgating. No matter how you slice it.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:56 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,865 times
Quote:
I don't slow peddle in the passing lane. I go between the speed limit and 5 miles above in the right lane. It's very selfish and against the law to fly in the left lane. The left lane is NOT license to go however fast you want to.

You cannot defend tailgating. No matter how you slice it.
Are you going zero to five mph above the speed limit while there is room to get back into the right lane? If so, you are breaking the law and causing these tailgating incidents you are complaining about. If you are able to get back into the right lane after passing, by law, you need to get back into the right lane. Oh, and I'm not defending tailgating but rather showing that it's a product in this situation of others not following laws. Doesn't make it right.....but does not make it right for those in the passing lane breaking the law either. Selfish to fly in the left lane? Um....the left lane is for passing......if you have a problem with that---stay in the right lane. Funny you would throw the selfish word around when you are preventing folks from using the passing lane for it's intended purpose.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Are you going zero to five mph above the speed limit while there is room to get back into the right lane? If so, you are breaking the law and causing these tailgating incidents you are complaining about. If you are able to get back into the right lane after passing, by law, you need to get back into the right lane. Oh, and I'm not defending tailgating but rather showing that it's a product in this situation of others not following laws. Doesn't make it right.....but does not make it right for those in the passing lane breaking the law either. Selfish to fly in the left lane? Um....the left lane is for passing......if you have a problem with that---stay in the right lane. Funny you would throw the selfish word around when you are preventing folks from using the passing lane for it's intended purpose.
I only pass when people are going slower than the speed limit.

I do stay in the right lane and IT IS selfish to do 70 in a 55 in the left lane. Not to mention totally illegal.

How the heck am I preventing folks from using the passing lane?

Old 08-08-2010, 01:28 PM

I don't drive slow, i go the speed limit and 5 to 7 miles over, i also drive according to the weather, which alot of people don't. I see plenty of morons driving like speed demons on snowy roads, not to bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania