Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,080 times

Advertisements

Since I have been noticing quite a few postings giving traffic info re certain routes, I thought I'd ask for the best route to Greentown (Pike County) from Long Island. I know that many of you are originally from Long Island. We have been taking the most obvious route there via Throgs Neck to George Washington to I-80 to Route 15 in NJ to I-84. Any one have a better way of getting there from here? Sometimes the routes that Mapquest & Google give aren't the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 07:50 PM

937 posts, read 2,889,271 times
Hi, it's Rosanna! How's the house coming along? We came home from LI a few weeks ago and went the same way you did. We did go on 206 for a while in Jersey though. We are heading to Jersey this weekend and are trying to figure out a quick way. We may take the NE Extention (PA Turnpike) to the Jersey Turnpike to exit 6 in Bordentown then head towards Millstone.
I don't think going through Staten Island to LI would be a good idea. I think the other way is better. It took is 3 1/2 hours from exit 64 on the LIE to Tunkhannock.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 PM

59 posts, read 272,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldginpa View Post
Since I have been noticing quite a few postings giving traffic info re certain routes, I thought I'd ask for the best route to Greentown (Pike County) from Long Island. I know that many of you are originally from Long Island. We have been taking the most obvious route there via Throgs Neck to George Washington to I-80 to Route 15 in NJ to I-84. Any one have a better way of getting there from here? Sometimes the routes that Mapquest & Google give aren't the best.
Part of this question depends on where on Long Island you're coming from. I lived in Oceanside, so I came from the south shore. I really hate going the way that you had mentioned. I don't know why, but I just couldn't stand going that way. My way of choice was

get yourself to the Grand Central Pkwy (either via the Northern St or Southern St to the Cross Island) and go over the Triboro Br. After the bridge stay to the left and get on the Major Deagan. Just follow that up into Westchester (I-87). Take I-87 over the Tapan Zee Br and just keep going up I-87. Get off the exit for 17 (I'm sorry, I can't remember exit numbers) Take that till exit 123 (there, I remembered one) which is 17M. Take that down to I-84 and follow that into PA. Greentown is only about 35 minutes from the borderline. I don't know why, but that's always been my favorite route.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:08 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Yep, we come from exit 65 and go just to Scotrun which is exit 298 on the 80. We did the throgs neck for a while and the past year have done the Triboughough to the Deegan, to the George, to Express 80.

It takes is just under 2 1/2 hours door to door.

dorothy

Old 06-28-2007, 05:24 AM

49 posts, read 215,551 times
I take the same route from Huntington, LI, to Milford, PA, but I learned to check the Yankee's baseball schedule two weeks ago before I go! I tried to return from Milford to Long Island the day of the Yankee's V/S Met's game at Yankee Stadium and traffic was awful! Over 75 minutes just to cross the bridge!

Old 06-28-2007, 05:42 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,243 times
From southern L.I. I take the Southern State to the Cross Island Parkway. Then I take the Whitestone Bridge to the Hutchinson River Parkway.Then I take that to the Cross Country Pkwy in Mount Vernon. From there I proceed west till I hit the NY State Thruway (87) in Yonkers. I take that north over the Tappan Zee Bridge and the continue on 87 until you hit 17 and then 17M. like Michael Marinelli said. Then you hit 84 in Middletown, NY and continue west into PA. Just a little different way I sometimes go to change things up a bit.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Wow! We have a lot of ex-Long Islanders moving to PA. Welcome!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 AM

937 posts, read 2,889,271 times
I think we took the Tappan Zee Bridge come to think of it. We try to avoid the GWB as much as possible. I remember taking 15 and 206 in Jersey into PA Rt.84 which is near Hawley and Lake Wallenpaupack.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:06 PM

487 posts, read 1,375,080 times
Thanks everyone for your input. I knew that there was more than one way to get there....just needed to hear everyone's preferred route. Hey, Michael Marinelli, it's a small world! I was born and raised in Oceanside. Did you graduate OHS? If so, what year? I'm sure we could share a few stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania