Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times

Advertisements

Well, if this isn't something to further NEPA's reputation as a drunk capital, now we have a local "service" that alerts people to where DUI checkpoints will be located. The "experts" can say all they want about how they think this will be a positive and will encourage responsibility, but the bottom line is that it is directed at and will be used by drunk drivers to just avoid sobriety checkpoints. Evidence of this is that local rock station 97.9 X has been running commericials for this service for a while, and the tones of the ads are absolutely directed at bar patrons just looking to avoid the police...the commercials even use the voice of a woman who speaks seductively...I think the same female voice they use for their strip club ads.

Well, drink up NEPA...the moral of the story is, I guess, that its OK to drink and drive, just don't get caught....

DUI avoidance drawing praise | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA (http://www.timesleader.com/news/DUI_avoidance_drawing_praise_09-02-2010.html - broken link)

Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,684 times
Get off your moral high horse and stop preaching at everyone.

Another way of looking at this service is to warn folks that police will be out and that it would be highly stupid to get drunk and drive.

The Sheriff dept here in Florida announce on the news and in the paper each week that they will be having check points in different parts of the city. It is an effective deterrent.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Moral high horse, my arse....its common sense. But God forbid anything get in the way of NEPA's favorite pasttime: getting drunk. Preaching? I'm not preaching, just posting a local news article and giving my opinion. Or is opinion only OK if it's your opinion?

Quote:
Another way of looking at this service is to warn folks that police will be out and that it would be highly stupid to get drunk and drive.
Its highly stupid to drink and drive anyways. You proved my point that the most people's mentality is that its OK to drink and drive as long as you don't get caught.

Quote:
The Sheriff dept here in Florida announce on the news and in the paper each week that they will be having check points in different parts of the city. It is an effective deterrent.
They announce them in the paper here too, which really defeats the purpose of the checkpoint in the first place.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Sorry but I agree with Phillies on this one. But I place blame on the police, do not give checkpoint info out to the public. Notify gov't agencies that might be impacted, ie: PennDot. This would be effective for the intent of the checkpoint. I have the same feelings regarding satuartion patrols, if it really is to catch criminals in the act and not a "warrant" sweep; why do they advertise where they will be in advance in the Times-Tribune.

Do they really want to catch criminal acts is progress or are they just a feel good measure to make residents think they are doing something against rising crime rates?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,889 times
Quote:

Why should the drunks be warned? How would you feel if someone in your family was killed by a drunk driver???????

Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 AM

996 posts, read 1,056,905 times
Private business offering a legal subscription service based on publicly available information.

God Bless AmeriKa.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Why should the drunks be warned? How would you feel if someone in your family was killed by a drunk driver???????
My uncle was killed by a drunk driver right on Pittston ave....Maybe if the DD knew there was a checkpoint he would have avoided it.

I think that by proclaiming the fact theta officers will be out in force in locations know for frequent DD will serve as a preventative measure.

Also, lets think logically here for a moment.....ill let you get ready........

Maybe, the police announce a general location like say, we will be focusing in on the notch. So now everyone who reads that or hears it who is drinking in Scranton will say OK, lets take the Morgan highway. Maybe put a few cops at the mausoleum to pick up speeders or whatever.

I know the cops are known for telling the truth at all turns and telegraphing their every move but lets give them the benefit of the doubt.

It is not about warning drunks. That is a simplistic Palin-esque way of thinking. It is more about warning those who were considering going out with their car, drinking and heading back home in their car that the cops are out, they have DUI's on their agenda and you will likely get caught.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Private business offering a legal subscription service based on publicly available information.

God Bless AmeriKa.
While that is true, I still think the info should not be open to the general public. It just seems counterproductive.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Well sometimes it is just a bit scarey to come across. Just a general stoppage and checking.
We had one in Tabor, NC. There were a ton of cops and cars. Cops stopping people in all directions.
Gosh, I thought a criminal was loose. It was not even at night it was late morning.......
Across the street were a bunch of tow trucks, and drivers with smiling faces.....
Freaked me out, as I have never in my entire life come upon this.
Would I like to have been warned. Yes! Just because the entire ordeal scared me....Too many cops and cop cars in one location. I did see someone make a U turn before reaching the area, and I saw an older couple exchange seats. How they weren't seen, I don't know.
.....Next time I'll just relax........We carry all our information with us and really didn't have to worry.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM

419 posts, read 448,235 times
I think every Dui checkpoint has to be posted prior, well atleast everywhere I lived. It has nothing to do with N.E. PA. They did it in Colorado, they do it in Pittsburgh, they did it in Philly, and they did it in State College. They put them on news sites, newspapers, or other internet sites. I don't know the reasoning, but it probably has some legal reasoning. Still, many people get busted in checkpoints after they are posted. How many drunks getting out of the bar are going to be aware of the checkpoints? Some, but many arn't.

I am not for Drunk Driving, but I find DUI checkpoints unconstitutional. The police can't just stop you and force their way to search you. Maybe that is why they have to post them prior to doing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania